Wrestling Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Big Time Chels #1 Fan
3,870 Posts
i dont know man the 90's were pretty fun as a kid. when kids actually played outside everyday. michael jordan was around,MtV was actually good, the begginning of x games i remember i went in 1999,the older kids looked like adults,music was cool, Tv was great like jerry springer was fresh, southpark had came out ,real world was a new idea, holyfield fought tyson and the ear bite happened. overall it was pretty decent.
I have some 90s nostalgia too, but I can watch Michael Jordan from the 90s now by simply youtubing or streaming it. I don't have to wait for it to be live and record it with a VHS tape. If kids want to play outside now, they still can, the choice is there just like the 90s. Only now they don't have to find a payphone or walk across town wasting time to knock on someone's door to see if their friends want to hang out, they can call off their computer in their pocket or message them on Facebook, nice and simple. People don't have to watch TRL on MTV hoping to see their top music videos each day, they can simply type in what they want to listen to on YouTube. The 90s music can also be listened to now with ease and we also have 22+ more years of music available now ontop of that era. I get it, I have nostalgia for some of the 90s too, but I can access the parts I like with more ease now. When it comes to the topics you mentioned, the kids today don't have to deal with the limitations we had back then like the payphone, taping shows with VHS, waiting for songs on MTV and sitting through hours of commercials, playing outside with no form of communication to the rest of the world.

I spent 7 years living on the road with limited technology(basic phone and laptop at best) to get away from society, so I get that aspect too, but for the societal aspects all of the decades past have their limitations that each decade that comes after improves upon.

Nostalgia is a hard dose of rose colored glasses though, nothing wrong with that. I'm starting to see more Gen Xers and Millenials praise the 80s, 90s and 2000s the way the baby boomers do with everything before the 90s, and I can't help but feel like they're falling into the same trap as their parents with "my childhood era is better than everyone else's because were boomers!" Lol one thing from the 90s that hasn't changed and is still as strong today as it was then sadly is the boomers stranglehold on society.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have some 90s nostalgia too, but I can watch Michael Jordan from the 90s now by simply youtubing or streaming it. I don't have to wait for it to be live and record it with a VHS tape. If kids want to play outside now, they still can, the choice is there just like the 90s. Only now they don't have to find a payphone or walk across town wasting time to knock on someone's door to see if their friends want to hang out, they can call off their computer in their pocket or message them on Facebook, nice and simple. People don't have to watch TRL on MTV hoping to see their top music videos each day, they can simply type in what they want to listen to on YouTube. The 90s music can also be listened to now with ease and we also have 22+ more years of music available now ontop of that era. I get it, I have nostalgia for some of the 90s too, but I can access the parts I like with more ease now. When it comes to the topics you mentioned, the kids today don't have to deal with the limitations we had back then like the payphone, taping shows with VHS, waiting for songs on MTV and sitting through hours of commercials, playing outside with no form of communication to the rest of the world.

I spent 7 years living on the road with limited technology(basic phone and laptop at best) to get away from society, so I get that aspect too, but for the societal aspects all of the decades past have their limitations that each decade that comes after improves upon.

Nostalgia is a hard dose of rose colored glasses though, nothing wrong with that. I'm starting to see more Gen Xers and Millenials praise the 80s, 90s and 2000s the way the baby boomers do with everything before the 90s, and I can't help but feel like they're falling into the same trap as their parents with "my childhood era is better than everyone else's because were boomers!" Lol one thing from the 90s that hasn't changed and is still as strong today as it was then sadly is the boomers stranglehold on society.
ya i can agree and disgree with all you said. ya you can pull up footage of michael jordan but is it really the same as watching it live as it was actually progressing in real life. the problem with that is you kind of already know what happened even if you have not seen it you have probably heard what happened.The thing i see with kids maybe the reason they are not outside playing as much is because they have so many distractions such as social media. To Me one of the points i wanted to make is the whole having to knock on a friends door thing. I for one prefer that old school way of life versus texting someone or hitting them up on whatever facebook or whatever else. .But anyway i probably do sound like some kind of boomer or something.im not saying my time was better but i do miss the simple way of life not having to have a device in my hand at all times. the thing is at the time the payphone or recording on vhs for instance didnt feel like a limitation.But of course as we get older we will fall into the same patterns as our parents

·
Registered
2,908 Posts

TRL is still on tv today, and yes no one watches it lol

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
The 2000s wasn’t grunge at all. It was nu-metal trashy. It looked terrible and cringe. Every image in the op post are terrible. The AE late 90s look was the best as it was more uniform and “darker” with simple designs. How can you say biker cholo taker looked better than 98 all black goth taker is mind boggling.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts