Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who remembers how amazing Smackdown was until around Survior Series that year? From Punk/Hardy feud, Morrisons push, Mysterio/Jericho IC Title feud, JeriShow/Cryme Time, JTG was on fire back then when he beat Jericho, when Matt Hardy returned as a special guest ref in the CM Punk/Hardy match which led to him eventually turning face, Dolph Ziggler was polishing his skills and actually managed to get decent matches out of Khali. Mike Knox's anatomy gimmick, that EPIC IC Title match between Mysterio/Morrison and that 4 star match between Morrison & Hardy for the WHC, damn. WGTT re-united for a little while aswell, Umaga (R.I.P.) before he got released was doing great in a small program with Punk. I remember a lot of matches week in and week out were a mix of Jericho/Morrison/Punk/Hardy/Mysterio/Edge(until he got injured at the bash) I know there's a few stuff I'm missing but that's just off the top of my head.

·
Premium Member
44,386 Posts
Ah Summer 2009 Smackdown. I do miss thee greatly. It was legit great or at least about as good as a WWE show can possibly be under the current circumstances. You had the perfect mix of veterans and younger talent (Punk, Morrison, Ziggler, Edge, Mysterio, Jericho, Hardy) and they were all working together to put on the best show possible. You had Jericho & Rey working hard to reestablish the IC Title as something worth fighting for, an Edge/Jericho feud set up for the future, young guys like Morrison & Ziggler being showcased as amazing talents on the way up, and CM Punk's awesome World Title run with Jeff Hardy as his top foe. Sure there were still problems like some of the presentation choices, and the treatment of the Tag Division (which even that was made more tolerable when Jeri-Show came into the scene) but the overall product was really well done. But then Taker won the title from Punk and everything just went downhill and never recovered. It was quite sad really.

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
2009/2010 SmackDown WAS a great year for the show, and it's remembered as being so good because Raw at the time was so bad.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
2009 SD was indeed awesome, I didn't expect much with that rooster but every week was great.And that was when I liked Ziggler more with Maria, Vickie was never a fave of mine.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I just want Ziggler, Punk & Jericho on Smackdown. Nothing more.
And yes, Smackdown was great during 2009. I even loved the theme song better than the horrible one it has today.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Yeah it was great..Dolph Ziggler getting beat all the time.Drew McIntyre's Push.Rey Mysterio,Chris Jericho,Undertaker,Batista,Shad...The only bad things about SmackDown were Morrison and JTG getting TV time.That's just the worst.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I loved Summer 2009 Smackdown, that Hardy/Punk feud and Jericho/Mysterio feud were the best in that era

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
Spring and summer 2009 Smackdown was the best television product WWE turned out since around the time of Wrestlemania X7 in my estimation. The CM Punk/Jeff Hardy feud stands as one of the best-written, best-performed angles in post-Attitude Era WWE history. Punk's slow transformation into a deranged heel bent on obliterating Jeff Hardy was executed to perfection. It was a downright Shakespearean storyline within the realm of professional wrestling and spoke about important themes such as the cult of celebrity standing in defiance of genuine virtues, how standing for your beliefs can strangle one's popularity with the masses, and how a good man could go so bad, which is always a riveting story if you do it particularly well.

The wrestling content by itself recommended the show. Rey Mysterio, Chris Jericho, CM Punk, John Morrison, Edge (before the Achilles tear at the end of June), Dolph Ziggler all performed in sensational television matches which were given a great deal of time. There's been nothing like that on WWE television since this time period. The Intercontinental Championship actually mattered, and the Jericho/Mysterio feud over it was fabulous.

The writing was seamless. As the OP stated, the return of Matt Hardy who was a heel at the time of his injury who had feuded with his brother returning as the special referee; interweaving The Hart Dynasty as well as John Morrison into the main event feud between Punk and Hardy. Just great booking.

The entire blowoff to Punk/Hardy felt like it mattered. Punk ridding WWE of Jeff Hardy was an emotional powerhouse of a storyline. Their cage match on Smackdown is still the best cage match since Flair/Triple H in the fall of 2005, I think, and the little details are sublime. Punk poking Jeff in the eye to win the match and thus the feud was perfect, considering the crucial plot point of "injured eyes" in the early going of their feud.

It was just a spectacular wrestling show. I miss it greatly.

·
Banned
8,966 Posts
Apart from Punk/Hardy being very entertaining the show was as bland as ever. The period is very overrated.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
One of the best years in SmackDown history! Interesting storylines, good matches, strong roster, superstar pushes, etc. 2009 was a great year for that brand, but I can't say the same about Raw that year... Everything from SmackDown 2009 is better than today's SmackDown.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
Smackdown's lost so much of its identity since then. Another symptom of WWE's complete lack of identifiable midcard.
This is precisely one of the undeniable ailments that is actively debilitating the product.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts