Wrestling Forum banner

I miss JR and Lawler as an announcing duo

632 14
JR was like a fan. He would show emotion, get excited, cheer for the faces... It was awesome.

Comparing him to Cole now is just terrible. Cole every move is like "that will put him away!" and it just gets old. Every move to Cole is like a robot with what he says.

JBL is good too - but he's there for just heel purposes.

Cole comes across as just a suit to me. Someone who is following a script and it's too obvious. JR at least seemed to talk and be normal during a telecast.

I don't know why WWE split them up in the first place. IMO hey did it way too early. Those two together are still to this day my favorite announcing duo in wrestling.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,044 Posts
Yeah back then when the product was awesome. Now its just in the toilet

· Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah back then when the product was awesome. Now its just in the toilet
I honestly think having JR be on Reigns side and announcing matches where he gets screwed/etc would have a big impact on more people getting on Reigns side. JR has that personality to where he can get people to agree with him.

Could you imagine when Sheamus came out/The Authority doing what they've done for Reigns "YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME. THIS JUST ISN'T FAIR! SOMEONE COME OUT AND HELP THIS DAMN MAN!" It would have been 10000000x better than Cole and what he does.

· Registered
1,044 Posts
I honestly think having JR be on Reigns side and announcing matches where he gets screwed/etc would have a big impact on more people getting on Reigns side. JR has that personality to where he can get people to agree with him.

Could you imagine when Sheamus came out/The Authority doing what they've done for Reigns "YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME. THIS JUST ISN'T FAIR! SOMEONE COME OUT AND HELP THIS DAMN MAN!" It would have been 10000000x better than Cole and what he does.
HAHA Love it! JR has so much passion and when he announces you can feel the emotion. Cole is ok imo but kind of annoying. JBL can get annoying sometimes with his jokes and shit. Byron just be yourself damn it!

· Registered
4,263 Posts
Apples and oranges.

JR did not want to know what was going to happen so he could react in a natural way to what was going on. He wasn't strongly filtered.

Cole has to know 99% of what's going on and rehearse how Vince wants him to react before the show goes on air. Gotta make sure he doesn't misspeak and piss off sponsors.

I love JR but I'm not sure he would be over in this environment.

· Team Narcisse
8,776 Posts
JR made it sound like the matches truly meant something. JBL isn't bad. He makes some seriously off the wall comments sometimes but his knowledge is nice to hear. If Cole was announcing solo I would watch it on mute. When Vince gave JR's spot to him it truly felt worse to me when WCW gave Arquette the title.

· Registered
1,514 Posts
they were great, had chemistry and even when you knew lawler was playing heel, he was believable and they had witty mini convos. hate for cole seems new, but its really isnt. on his days as backstage journalist, he played dumb and looked dumb. as the smackdown commentator and ppv guy in 1999+ he was already coming off as sarcastic instead of sincere, patronising instead of informative, and made tazz look like commentary gold lol ..

i always tuned in when prime king and prime jr were doing the commentary and like many say, jr could sell someone reading the newspaper on the bus he was that good.

in contrast i hate the current commentary, sadly king is part of this deadbeat trio so he wont be remembered by current fans for the same reasons. jbl is a turd. he was a badass in the brawler bradshaw and heel in 2004, now hes reduced to this, another old timer trying to sound impacting just comes off borderline suicidal, cole repeating whatever mcmahonhead is saying in his ear garners zero respect and makes him look like a tired chump too scared to find a more productive job, and king is so past it i get genuinely afraid of another heart attack.

people will come to you and say you're just another "attiedtood era fuckboy who cant mooff on huehuehue" but its not about fighting between two different eras. standards have plummeted so much that i cant help but draw comparisons in hope for a better product. i guess its wrong to expect that then lol -_-. bringing jr back won't help though cause im sure he'll also have to play it safe. so it boils down to the company being so far gone that even they cant see any point to improving their assets

/mini rant :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.