Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, JR and Heyman did a great job in putting over the importance of this match between Rock and Jericho for the WCW Championship. They put over Jericho greatest opportunity to win a world title, both guys background, strategies they needed to win, history of the WCW belt,etc. Really made the action inside the ring and not other thing like the main event or a particular angle. Not like today, with Michael Cole annoying tweener gimmick where he talks more about over thing like his obsession for the Miz rather than the match. Lawler is just bored with the product and is no long inspired to say thing with any importance or impact at all.

·
Banned
542 Posts
Vince needs to let J R come back already i miss these days.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
JBL was awful. But JR should DEFINITELY come back.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
JR back they got rid of Grisham on Smackdown thank god i never have liked Grisham but they need JR on one of the Announcing teams so bad they lack a decent play by play announcer on one of the shows cos Cole aint cutting it

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
Pfffff. What a joke. I opened this thread expecting a tribute to the greatest commentator ever: Jesse The Body Ventura. Then again, I guess its my fault for expecting anyone to have a sense of taste or understanding of history.

Has anyone here ever actually watched a wrestling match older than 1998?

·
Shitting On The Bastards Below
1,101 Posts
Pfffff. What a joke. I opened this thread expecting a tribute to the greatest commentator ever: Jesse The Body Ventura. Then again, I guess its my fault for expecting anyone to have a sense of taste or understanding of history.

Has anyone here ever actually watched a wrestling match older than 1998?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3niiLqUYAs

Jesse was a brilliant antagonist and heel commentator but he could not call a match on his own and clearly you have no sense of taste of understanding of history if you do not appreciate JR's role as the best play by play commentator in wrestling history whether it be in 2001 or the early 90's

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3niiLqUYAs

Jesse was a brilliant antagonist and heel commentator but he could not call a match on his own and clearly you have no sense of taste of understanding of history if you do not appreciate JR's role as the best play by play commentator in wrestling history whether it be in 2001 or the early 90's
I never said JR wasnt good. He's probably in the top 3 commentators ever. I was just expressing my distaste at the fact that nobody here is aware of anything that happened beyond the attitude era.

Plus, he is arguably the best play by play guy ever. However, even JR himself will tell you, there is one guy he has to get through to earn that honor:

·
Shitting On The Bastards Below
1,101 Posts
I never said JR wasnt good. He's probably in the top 3 commentators ever. I was just expressing my distaste at the fact that nobody here is aware of anything that happened beyond the attitude era.

Plus, he is arguably the best play by play guy ever. However, even JR himself will tell you, there is one guy he has to get through to earn that honor:

I think it's a fairly rash assumption to jump to just because someone mentioned they enjoyed the work of JR and Paul Heyman.I would imagine there are plenty of people on this site that remember beyond the attitude era but in the same respect the majority or viewers of wrestling nowadays are alot younger and they have just as much rite to discuss and express their opinion as someone who has been watching wrestling alot longer

·
Registered
95 Posts

Overrated IMO. I always thought Solie was boring.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
JR and Heyman were great, as were JR and Heel King, McMahon and heel King, Gorilla and Brain, and ofcourse Gorilla and Jesse. Man I loved Jesse's over the top hatred of Hulk Hogan back in the day.

I think the announcers today must be too overproduced and scripted. If Heenan, Jesse etc were scripted to the same degree I can't imagine they would've been as good.

Vince needs to give the guys today a bit more freedom to work on the fly I think.

I agree with Gordon Sollie being boring too: "And... here's a headlock...."

·
Registered
45 Posts
i miss heel King, especially with JR. made me laugh so many times

(commentating an Edge vs Regal intercontinental title match)

King: How tall is Edge, JR?

JR: Six two, six three.

King: He was 5'9" until Regal hit him with an uppercut

I always used to love his reaction to Stacy Kiebler and Trish Stratus too. Funny.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts