Wrestling Forum banner

I Miss After Draft 2009 Smackdown

613 3
If it wasn't for bad timing, we were on the verge of having a new Smackdown 6. I remember LOVING Smackdown during that time, Punk/Hardy fued, Jericho/Mysterio feud, Morrison putting on 5 star matches week in week out, Umaga being impressive as ever for a short time (R.I.P), if it wasn't for Edge's injury and Hardy leaving the company, I think thinks would have turned out a lot differently. I think Matt Hardy would have gotten a push after Jeff/Punk's feud ended, maybe another turn for Hardy to his brother. God knows what Edge/Jericho would have done as I tag team, I can only dream. The rise of Dolph Ziggler, I remember Mysterio being in the best form he had been since his WCW days, he & Morrison were putting on great matches. It was a beautiful WRESTLING show, and at a time when RAW was HORRIBLE with all the guest host non sense and Cena vs Orton for the 666th time. It all came to an end when Undertaker came back, and then Batista came back, and Edge was injured.
Also Cryme Time were very entertaining and I was rooting for them in their feud with JeriShow, even Charlie Haas was featured a bit then as well which was a plus. Once my internet restarts I will be going to watch a bunch of episodes from then. Smackdown was so good then, that even Khali had a few good matches with Dolph Ziggler. I can only imagine how good it would be now if some of the guys who are on the Smackdown roster right now where on then, like Christian, Masters & Del Rio.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree and I was actually just thinking about this the other day. Post-draft, Smackdown in 2009 was an incredible show with massive potential. The Punk/Hardy feud was something that I had wanted for a long time and when we got that, along with a full-blown Punk heel turn, it turned out perfectly. The Jericho/Mysterio feud was memorable and the two of them put on some excellent matches. Some new stars were in the beginning stages of their push (McIntyre, Morrison, Ziggler). Speaking of Morrison, he was great on that show. It seemed that he was impressive every week. There was also a tag team feud, The Hart Dynasty/Cryme Tyme, that went on for quite awhile and I actually enjoyed that.

The only thing that I wish we could have seen is how epic the Edge/Jericho tandem would have been had it had the chance to continue. Their match at WM probably would have had a much better build, too, with their split getting the slow burn treatment. It's certainly not anyone's fault that it didn't turn out because injuries happen, but I still can't help but wonder what might have been.

The show kind of sputtered out when Punk got buried and Taker and won the title, though. Lost it's freshness and excitement.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very true, honestly I stopped reading spoilers for a while because of how good the show was and i just wanted to be suprised, such a shame Smackdown right now is a shell of what it was then. I also loved how like every match was more than 10 minutes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.