Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You other brothers can't deny.....oh. *ahem*

Hey guys. I know a majority of today's fans prefer either fast paced or technical wrestling, I do as well, but it seems the the way of the big men is becoming more and more uninteresting to a lot of people. But for me, I like seeing the monsters go. I mean, today all we have now are Show, Kane, and Mark Henry(sorta), Eric Rowan, and Luke Harper. Maybe Jack Swagger. See, I love watching two behemoths going at it and shaking the ring with every step. Watching which one will overpower the other and which one will fall down first etc.

One of my favorite types of matches. But all I see today is people screaming slow and boring. Yeah people are entitled to their opinion and we all like what we like. But I'm wondering, is there anyone out there besides me that still like to see the ring take as much punishment as the wrestlers when two giants go at it?

·
All out of bubblegum.
5,301 Posts
The last program featuring big guys putting on great matches that I remember was as Sheamus turned from heel to tweener to feud with Mark Henry.

That was a great big man feud, I'd take a look if you weren't watching SD at the time.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Yeah, I enjoy the spectacle. But even if the two guys put on a good match, it's unlikely to be perceived well by the likes of this forum. Often minds are made up before it's even begun.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I like a good big man match now and then. The problem is, they require at least two good big men (or, as we saw with the Sheamus/Show classic from fall 2012, one good big man and one serviceable big man working his butt off). WWE doesn't really have too many combinations of those at the moment (and the most prominent ones are over-the-hill Kane and even-farther-over-the-hill Show). That said, count me in for Lesnar/Sheamus and Sheamus/Harper if they ever happen.

·
WeeWoo WeeWoo
20,073 Posts
Yes, I'm a big fan of big guys vs big guys, but I prefer the more agile ones with explosive power over someone like Show or Henry (although they had their moments, especially back in their day).

I'm very fond of the Swagger vs Harper and Swagger vs O'Neil matches that have been happening the past couple months. Especially the Main Event one between Swagger and Harper...both men showed impressive strength, speed, and explosiveness. Exactly what I like to see out of men their size.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
If the big men could move like Vader or Bam Bam, then it would make an interesting match but if it means having guys like Khali, and some of the old big guys that WWE has at present, then its probably going to stink.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Big guys in wrestling are brilliant, I do think live crowds expect a faster pace to matches now though.
Seamus and Harper are the most underrated at the moment I think, two huge guys who can move around and have good matches.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
i don't like how easily the likes of swagger, cesaro and henry get disposed of during matches and treated like glorified jobbers, one of the reasons why i like lucha underground is they treat their biggest guys as monsters.

as for big show i just don't want to see him wrestle at all any more, kane ain't too bad but should not be main event ppv's and raw shows on constant basis like he has for the past year

·
All out of bubblegum.
5,301 Posts
I like a good big man match now and then. The problem is, they require at least two good big men (or, as we saw with the Sheamus/Show classic from fall 2012, one good big man and one serviceable big man working his butt off). WWE doesn't really have too many combinations of those at the moment (and the most prominent ones are over-the-hill Kane and even-farther-over-the-hill Show). That said, count me in for Lesnar/Sheamus and Sheamus/Harper if they ever happen.
Sheamus and Harper had a great match on NXT, you should check it out :)

Reactions: Bruce L

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
The problem with big brutes is it requires a brawling style which means lots of punches.

Punches that don't hurt. Requiring me to believe them. Requiring me to completely suspend all belief in the after effects of a punch. You don't see these guys getting bruised up. No marks at all.

In my local indy it's rare to even see a punch thrown. It's solid technical wrestling. I love every second of it. I see the slams and the dropkicks, and everything else. What I don't see is fake punches that leave no marks.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Brock Lesnar vs Sheamus would be a great big man match although I dislike Sheamus he can go in the ring I dont mind big guys besides past they primes Kane and Big Show the other guys are pretty good Sheamus,Luke Harper etc.

·
All out of bubblegum.
5,301 Posts
You don't see these guys getting bruised up. No marks at all.
Sheamus always looks absolutely mauled after a stiff match.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I forgot about Sheamus XD. He's been gone for a bit. lol. I am hoping he will come back as a heel. I think he and Rowan could have some great matches and it would help elevate Rowan out of the slump he's in. Rowan gets overlook, I think. Don't see many people talk about him here. He's moves as good as Harper, though he does admittedly have a smaller move set. I believe if they transition him away from this weird gimmick and let him exercise his mic skills, he'd be great. From what little he say, I think he has some decent mic skills. Or at least a good voice.

·
WeeWoo WeeWoo
20,073 Posts
The problem with big brutes is it requires a brawling style which means lots of punches.

Punches that don't hurt. Requiring me to believe them. Requiring me to completely suspend all belief in the after effects of a punch. You don't see these guys getting bruised up. No marks at all.

In my local indy it's rare to even see a punch thrown. It's solid technical wrestling. I love every second of it. I see the slams and the dropkicks, and everything else. What I don't see is fake punches that leave no marks.
Not really. Swagger is a grappler, technical wrestler and honestly rarely throws punches. :shrug

It's possible for one to be a 'big brute' and still have a wide array of offense. It just means they're big and stiff workers. Harper honestly doesn't punch too much either. Neither does Cesaro.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts