Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They’ve have done a so much better job of building up Nikki Cross vs. Asuka.

It started at Takeover San Antonio, where she was protected so much that Billie and Peyton took her out through a Table just to write her out of the equation while not taking the pinfall. And even in Chicago, Ruby was the one hit by the deciding move and Asuka was taking advantage of Ruby’s handy work on Nikki.

And ever since these two started interacting with one another, they have a different vibe than anyone else in the women’s division. When they clash, it doesn’t feel like Asuka taking down another victim. It feels like two female monsters trying to take each other out.

And that was even more amplified by tonight’s segment. That whole sequence of them fighting in the garage, the make up room, back into the arena only to crash and burn through tables, which was the only way to stop them. It just further emphasized the heat they have going against each other.

This is not meant to be a direct comparison thread between Ember and Nikki. I don’t care who you like more or less. But I think we can all see Ember vs. Asuka in Brooklyn. And I have to say, with that being the likely direction, it’s shocking to see they’ve put this much effort into building heat and tension between Asuka and Nikki but with Ember and Asuka, besides the quality of work in the ring, their feud just falls flat with a lack of creative effort.

·
Won't shut up about Peyton Royce
17,649 Posts
I think they will do Nikki vs Asuka in the next set of tapings next week tbh and Asuka will win. And maybe they will do a Nikki/Ember N1 contenders match in the July 12th tapings. And while the storyline between Asuka and Nikki has been good, Nikki is not as over as I thought she would be. In fact, of all the pushed girls (Ember, Iconic, Ruby) I think she might be the least over girl, maybe that is why they are not pulling the trigger on her.

Reactions: ellthom

·
Let's talk about six, baby.
8,445 Posts
It is funny that the writers have accidentally made Nikki the most fun opponent for Asuka despite Ember clearly being the chosen one. This feud stretches back six months, there's a good bit of history between these two.

Ember beating Asuka in Brooklyn is probably still the end goal but I think there's at least a small chance that Nikki does instead. Most likely Nikki/Asuka will wrap up their feud in July though.

·
Registered
788 Posts
yeah, I would LOVE to see cross and asuka go at it in a "falls count anywhere" match for the title at a takeover.

OR, at the very least (even though they have just had TWO in the last month) add nikki to the inevitable ember/asuka match at BIII and make it another triple threat.

·
Madness is the emergency exit
2,826 Posts
Asuka should beat Ember, Nikki, and Goth girl in a 3 on 1 handicap match, drop the title of the pile of them, and come up to the main roster for an instant title shot/win.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I don't get the Ember Moon hype. Nikki Cross is much better and if Asuka were to drop the title before she gets called up then it should be to her.

Nikki should be the next champion.

·
SGT. AT ARMS
21,704 Posts
The difference between Nikki and Ember is, Nikki actually has a character and plays it very well, what the fuck is Ember's character? She comes out in a hood with red eyes acting like some silent assassin on the prowl, then jerks the hood off and starts dancing and cheerleading at the audience acting like every other generic smiling babyface female. Her backstage promos are horrible, she sounds so plain and generic, nothing unique about her at all besides her finisher.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Speaking as a giant Ember mark, yeah, I've prefered the spark between Asuka & Nikki more than Asuka & Ember.

I think the story NXT wanted to tell with Ember is creatively bankrupt and uninspired.

The Nikki Cross angle isn't exactly inspired either, but Nikki has done a really, really nice job with her Asuka interatins.

·
Registered
18,879 Posts
Even though she's a heel, I always believed Nikki Cross was the one who should end Asuka's reign of terror in NXT. All the other girls are "good", but Asuka's lightyears better. But Nikki is batshit crazy and is willing/able to go where others can't to defeat Asuka.

Reactions: scshaastin

·
Banned
6,708 Posts
Cross is the heel and while I love her work, she doesn't need the NXT title. Asuka did and does. Niki Cross has great mic work and can really tell a story and drop right into character. She's better at playing Dean's "Lunatic Fringe" gimmick than he is.

Asuka should drop the title to someone that has experience, but is almost a complete unknown. There female talent on the roster. There is one in particular that should do it. Her name is Lacey Evans. She is a former Marine, so yeah she can actually kick your ass.

I love her retro, 40-50's look and think she should keep it up. It was that era that The United States was taking over The South East Asian Pacific. She and Asuka feuding would be a throw back almost to a time most of you only read about in books. Lacey has this strong, all American, look about her that I like.

She hasn't been wrestling long, but she looks good enough to go in the ring. I am impressed with what I have seen thus far from her. Overall I think she also just has a great look. Not the prettiest, but then also looks like a 10 when she wants and did I mention she can kick ass? She sells her tough look well.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
No, not Lacey Evans. Asuka should drop it to Kairi Hojo. Kairi is an unknown to western audience but an amazing proven talent in Japan, is a natural babyface and has the best elbow drop in the business. She'll get over quick while beating Asuka, and then as Asuka goes up to the main roster, here comes Io Shirai to take the title from Hojo.

Keep it to the Japanese women for the next while and you really can't go wrong. That gives time for people like Evans to develop into a stronger hand and to eventually take the title herself.

·
Banned
6,708 Posts
No, not Lacey Evans. Asuka should drop it to Kairi Hojo. Kairi is an unknown to western audience but an amazing proven talent in Japan, is a natural babyface and has the best elbow drop in the business. She'll get over quick while beating Asuka, and then as Asuka goes up to the main roster, here comes Io Shirai to take the title from Hojo.

Keep it to the Japanese women for the next while and you really can't go wrong. That gives time for people like Evans to develop into a stronger hand and to eventually take the title herself.
The Casual fans may not know the difference, no pun intended. This will will hurt the title. Among the NXT wrestling nerds those women you mentioned are relatively known. We're talking NXT here.

·
8,445 Posts

I don't think three consecutive Japanese champions would go down well. Nearly a year and a half with Asuka, then probably six months minimum with Kairi+Io means you're looking at over two years of the top girl being an established Joshi name with limited English.

Ember or Nikki should hold the title in-between Asuka and the next Japanese champ. I'd rather see it be Nikki since being champion would probably allow her to use her main strength more often, that being talking.

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
I think they will do Nikki vs Asuka in the next set of tapings next week tbh and Asuka will win. And maybe they will do a Nikki/Ember N1 contenders match in the July 12th tapings. And while the storyline between Asuka and Nikki has been good, Nikki is not as over as I thought she would be. In fact, of all the pushed girls (Ember, Iconic, Ruby) I think she might be the least over girl, maybe that is why they are not pulling the trigger on her.
This is true, even though for me, Nikki is my favourite women on the NxT roster outside of Asuka herself. But it's very obvious fans are not getting behind her as much as they should. Shame really because she is so entertaining to watch (for me at least) :p

But saying that, Ember really isnt that over either. Last time Asuka and Ember had that staredown we heard crickets.

Ruby gets a reaction, the Iconic Duo get a good reaction, even though Asuka's feud with the Iconic duo is over there are not many woman on the roster getting massive reactions outside of Asuka herself :p

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I think Nikki takes the title, and for Asuka's rematch clause Ember gets in on the action. That way Askua loses so this feud doesn't last forever, and we can go onto other women. Cause what is point in building Asuka, unless you gonna use her overness to get Nikki or Ember over, and then ship her to RAW.

·
8,445 Posts
This is true, even though for me, Nikki is my favourite women on the NxT roster outside of Asuka herself. But it's very obvious fans are not getting behind her as much as they should. Shame really because she is so entertaining to watch (for me at least) :p

But saying that, Ember really isnt that over either. Last time Asuka and Ember had that staredown we heard crickets.

Ruby gets a reaction, the Iconic Duo get a good reaction, even though Asuka's feud with the Iconic duo is over there are not many woman on the roster getting massive reactions outside of Asuka herself :p
Nikki is just being held back by the dumb gimmick imo, both as a personality and a wrestler. It's fine to do an unhinged thing but they lay it on too strong with her.

The staredown didn't exactly set the world on fire but most things get little reaction on the weekly tapings. Ember has been pretty popular with the Takeover crowds and that's what really counts. I do think she'll fall flat in the long run though if they don't do anything interesting with her character.

·
WF's resident Big Dog
8,098 Posts
Asuka Nikki Cross LWS match on the 28th!!!

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
To me, the person that should beat Asuka is either a person better than her, someone who cheats to beat her, or someone who beats a weakened Asuka.

Second option isn't really viable. You don't get the title of a dominant character by cheating. For the first option, theres only 1 woman who i can see beating Asuka. Io Shirai and I believe theres a really really good story in there. Kairi Hojo, Kimber Lee and Crazy Mary Dobson i think are better than Asuka but they are also much much younger than her so I don't think they need to win the title that soon. So maybe they can go for the third option. Have Nikki injure Asuka in the match so Asuka goes in weakened against Ember. Basically what they did with Shibata and Goto.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.