Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
obviously the WWE now isn't like it used to be years ago, it is lacking in many departments:- lack of creativity in storylines, lack of experience in the current roster, lack of interest by the crowd, lack of dedication and respect ( fines, suspensions and policy violations ) and finally, lack of realism in many, many ways.
however the thing i noticed and is missing out big in the WWE nowadays is (cemented rivalries). when u say:-
Stone Cold, you can easily say The Rock or Vince McMahon, as they were connected by an unforgettable feud.
Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart.
Undertaker and Edge.
Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage
Mick Foley and Triple H.

i can even say Jim Ross and Michael Cole !!

now this fact hit me when i was playing Smackdown vs Raw 2011 (yeah, i don't have a PS3).
anyway, i always like to make the bitter rivals wrestle each other, and i usually choose my wrestler randomly, on the first try, i got Jack Swagger. i thought for a split second that he may have a rival, but no i couldn't figure it out, maybe i'll have more chance, oh! i got Ezekiel Jackson (think...think....think) no, the only rivalry was with Big Show, and i can't even say it is a real rivalry. and so, on and on and on...... i ended up shutting down my PS2.

i thought to myself, damn! i enjoyed watching those unforgettable rivalries and this is what used to spice things up. now they just basically wrestle, feud for a title and that's it. do u agree? and what do u think harms the WWE beside this fact?

Reactions: 2 Ton 21

·
Ted the Moth
12,865 Posts
I think Punk/Bryan will be this generation's. Personally I'd say Edge/Cena instead of Undertaker so that'd be Cena's but Edge is long gone. Uh...

I think you're on to something. But, like I said, Punk/Bryan.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think Punk/Bryan will be this generation's. Personally I'd say Edge/Cena instead of Undertaker so that'd be Cena's but Edge is long gone. Uh...

I think you're on to something. But, like I said, Punk/Bryan.
nah, i'm sure this rivalry will go on for about a month, then they will forget it. u could be right, but i just don't see it.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Cody, Ziggler, Drew and Wade (among others) still have time for great feuds, heels or not.
Sin Cara and Hunico could have a long and fantastic feud, IF Hunico was a masked luchador.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
I've been saying that for years. That's all WWE is now. It's just "You have the title, I want it, lets fight" or "I'm a good guy, you're a bad guy, so lets be in a feud".

Especially with UFC being so popular now, having personal feuds is less appealing now than ever. WWE should realize that people will watch UFC for all the real stuff, and WWE for the fake/entertaining stuff. Bring back the whole destroying someones car, invading their home,shocking endings to big stipulation matches and things like that.

The main thing that matches need are meaning to them. Would you rather watch Kane-Sheamus in a feud just cause Sheamus is a good guy, and Kane is a bad guy. Or a feud like Big Show-Christian cause Big Show attacked the now retired Edge(who was sitting at ringside during a WWE event) and Christian was standing up for his friend. And then after their first match, Edge comes in and turns on Christian and helps Big Show win.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cody, Ziggler, Drew and Wade (among others) still have time for great feuds, heels or not.
Sin Cara and Hunico could have a long and fantastic feud, IF Hunico was a masked luchador.
i agree, but i'm not enthousiast about WWE's way of booking their young stars. maybe...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been saying that for years. That's all WWE is now. It's just "You have the title, I want it, lets fight" or "I'm a good guy, you're a bad guy, so lets be in a feud".

Especially with UFC being so popular now, having personal feuds is less appealing now than ever. WWE should realize that people will watch UFC for all the real stuff, and WWE for the fake/entertaining stuff. Bring back the whole destroying someones car, invading their home,shocking endings to big stipulation matches and things like that.

The main thing that matches need are meaning to them. Would you rather watch Kane-Sheamus in a feud just cause Sheamus is a good guy, and Kane is a bad guy. Or a feud like Big Show-Christian cause Big Show attacked the now retired Edge(who was sitting at ringside during a WWE event) and Christian was standing up for his friend. And then after their first match, Edge comes in and turns on Christian and helps Big Show win.
exactly!!! i miss the intense moments. when Triple H broke into Randy Orton's house, when Cena threw Edge into a lake just after beating the hell out of him, when Undertaker buried The Big Boss Man, when Shawn Michaels threw Marty Jannetty into the Barber's shop window....ah good times!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Punk vs Cena could have been a big one but the wwe blew it - to the level of botching the invasion angle.
it could have extended to Punk vs WWE's authority figures. WWE just loves to blow up their exciting storyline and turn it into a generic feud over a title or something

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,156 Posts
Punk/Cena and Punk/Bryan seem to be the two that were organically born in the last 12 months.

Case in point to bolster the OP's claims: Cody Rhodes as Intercontinental Champion for eight months had one serious rival during that period of time who desired winning the Intercontinental Championship and that was the retired wrestler-turned-announcer Booker T.

WWE could have at least built a babyface up through the midcard back in the autumn so that by winter he could be putting on solid matches with Rhodes week in and week out, and be established as his midcard rival. Justin Gabriel could have played that role, for instance.

(Having said that, I could see Rhodes/Orton becoming a genuine main event rivalry based on their immense backstory which carried all the way over to this past fall.)

One midcard rivalry that has persisted is Dolph Ziggler/Kofi Kingston. They've had an incredible number of matches in the last two and a half years or so with one another. Maybe one day it will continue with both being main-eventers?

Reactions: NearFall

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It'll be Cena vs. Punk. The programs between these two are far from over.
i'll just ask u a question, answer honestly, ok?
do u feel that special vibe of the old feuds in this feud? i personally can't

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Punk/Cena and Punk/Bryan seem to be the two that were organically born in the last 12 months.

Case in point to bolster the OP's claims: Cody Rhodes as Intercontinental Champion for eight months had one serious rival during that period of time who desired winning the Intercontinental Championship and that was the retired wrestler-turned-announcer Booker T.

WWE could have at least built a babyface up through the midcard back in the autumn so that by winter he could be putting on solid matches with Rhodes week in and week out, and be established as his midcard rival. Justin Gabriel could have played that role, for instance.

(Having said that, I could see Rhodes/Orton becoming a genuine main event rivalry based on their immense backstory which carried all the way over to this past fall.)

One midcard rivalry that has persisted is Dolph Ziggler/Kofi Kingston. They've had an incredible number of matches in the last two and a half years or so with one another. Maybe one day it will continue with both being main-eventers?
i'm not trying to degrade any feud those wrestlers had, but do u honestly felt for one second that it was so personal between any one of those u mentioned? the feud i would call personal and really amazed me was Punk vs Jericho. it shows that the WWE can build up feuds properly. but do they carry on? nah

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just NOW figuring that one out, huh?
it's not about figuring it out, it's just that peoples easily say that the reason WWE has fallen down is obvious reasons like PG rating or creative team. however the lack of intensity in the rivalries are not mentioned as a reason. i just wanted to point that out.

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,714 Posts
But it's essentially the same point. There's no intense rivalries BECAUSE creative is so lazy/lacking/downright nonsensical at times.

That, and Vince being out of touch yet insisting on micro-managing every damn thing about that company.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But it's essentially the same point. There's no intense rivalries BECAUSE creative is so lazy/lacking/downright nonsensical at times.

That, and Vince being out of touch yet insisting on micro-managing every damn thing about that company.
you're damn right in everything u said !!

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,156 Posts
i'm not trying to degrade any feud those wrestlers had, but do u honestly felt for one second that it was so personal between any one of those u mentioned? the feud i would call personal and really amazed me was Punk vs Jericho. it shows that the WWE can build up feuds properly. but do they carry on? nah
Well, while it remained underdeveloped and sort of a diversion for Randy Orton while he wasn't doing anything else, the seeds were certainly sown to make Rhodes/Orton a potential white-hot grudge feud of the highest order. Orton smashing the ring bell in Rhodes's head, the profuse bleeding, the head-stapling, Rhodes's retaliations, the backstory between them, the fact that Rhodes has many correct things to say about Orton (like back around mid-August last year when he cut a good, scathing promo on him that had a lot to do with their Legacy days, Orton punting him in the head at WM26, etceteras).

Cena/Punk wasn't a personal rivalry. More like a professional one in which Punk had to earn Cena's respect, one in which Cena learned that much of what Punk said in the very beginning of it was actually true. Once it became babyface/babyface, though, there was no way it could escalate to a certain level. Now, if Cena turns heel next year or in two years or whenever, then we might have something really hot.

Bryan/Punk, I was thinking more along the lines of Jericho/Benoit circa 2000/2001 or so... Which is kind of sad because it shows how the WWE Championship has been relegated to the midcard of Monday Night Raw like the Intercontinental Championship of twelve years ago. Nevertheless, as a rivalry based on their great skillsets, it's something that can persist for years and probably never get worn out. Whereas some of the more hyperbolic, personal rivalries and feuds are often hard to go back to, and usually require even higher stakes being introduced for them to really work (Triple H/Orton is a prime example of that).

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, while it remained underdeveloped and sort of a diversion for Randy Orton while he wasn't doing anything else, the seeds were certainly sown to make Rhodes/Orton a potential white-hot grudge feud of the highest order. Orton smashing the ring bell in Rhodes's head, the profuse bleeding, the head-stapling, Rhodes's retaliations, the backstory between them, the fact that Rhodes has many correct things to say about Orton (like back around mid-August last year when he cut a good, scathing promo on him that had a lot to do with their Legacy days, Orton punting him in the head at WM26, etceteras).

Cena/Punk wasn't a personal rivalry. More like a professional one in which Punk had to earn Cena's respect, one in which Cena learned that much of what Punk said in the very beginning of it was actually true. Once it became babyface/babyface, though, there was no way it could escalate to a certain level. Now, if Cena turns heel next year or in two years or whenever, then we might have something really hot.

Bryan/Punk, I was thinking more along the lines of Jericho/Benoit circa 2000/2001 or so... Which is kind of sad because it shows how the WWE Championship has been relegated to the midcard of Monday Night Raw like the Intercontinental Championship of twelve years ago. Nevertheless, as a rivalry based on their great skillsets, it's something that can persist for years and probably never get worn out. Whereas some of the more hyperbolic, personal rivalries and feuds are often hard to go back to, and usually require even higher stakes being introduced for them to really work (Triple H/Orton is a prime example of that).
you're clearly experienced and a dedicated fan, it would be hard to disagree with you, yes, i admit that i saw a blitz of intensity when Orton feuded with Rhodes, however it never came down to a solid feud (it had the potential of the world)
Cena/Punk, like u said was more professional than personal, but that didn't help it, it needed to be more personal.
however, i have to say something about Bryan/Punk, i personally don't think their skills are enough to keep this feud going. something is needed there to spice it up, maybe AJ is that special ingredient. i don't know.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
guys, there is no need in using sarcasm, let's keep it a mature conversation and discussion about how to improve the WWE.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts