Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like every time Striker is describing the rules of whatever competition is going on he uses 'Whomever' e.g. "Whomever has the best talent will win 2 immunity points". The correct word is 'Whoever'.

'Whomever' is used to refer to the object of a sentence e.g. "I will disqualify whomever I like", for example the 'whom' is the one who is being disqualified, not doing the disqualifying.

I think Striker just says it to sound smart, when in reality he sounds like an overeager Chinese immigrant (Australia) attempting and failing to use 'proper' English.

Oh and by the way Striker, whenever you announce "And the judges... will be the LIVE AUDIENCE!" you ain't surprising anyone.

STOP SAYING WHOMEVER

·
HOPE
13,221 Posts
He was a history teacher iirc.

He's still my favourite announcer in the WWE, even if he was better when he played more of a heelish role. I actually find his announcing interesting, while I couldn't care what the others say.

·
Amazing
4,242 Posts
History teacher, mentioned this several times in the past but I did have him as a teacher for real.

cmon lay off on him ;D

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't dislike him really, he can be awesome in a play-by-play announcer role, though he does come across as a bit of a smug douche. There's nothing wrong with that, but if you're going to play the "I'm smarter than everyone else" gimmick, GET YOUR ENGLISH CORRECT PLEASE.

Whenever I hear 'Whomever' from him I RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE xO

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
It seems like every time Striker is describing the rules of whatever competition is going on he uses 'Whomever' e.g. "Whomever has the best talent will win 2 immunity points". The correct word is 'Whoever'.

'Whomever' is used to refer to the object of a sentence e.g. "I will disqualify whomever I like", for example the 'whom' is the one who is being disqualified, not doing the disqualifying.
Just because he was a teacher it doesn't mean his grammar has to be 100% perfect. He is a human being after all.

Matt Striker is the best announcer in the WWE right now.
Agreed. It's nice to have somebody sound knowledgable in the booth without putting over a character. I know he uses the "I've been in this move" line a lot but at least it's somewhat relevant, rather than having Cole, King (or Taz, when he was still there) being booked to put themselves in the spotlight.
if you're going to play the "I'm smarter than everyone else" gimmick, GET YOUR ENGLISH CORRECT PLEASE.
In fairness, he has been away from teaching for how many years now? A long time anyway. It's not like he works 9-5 teaching grammar (and even when he did teach, it was history). Plus his "gimmick" of being intelligent relates to wrestling, which he does know a fuck load about tbh.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
He taught at a U.S. high school. He doesn't have to be a genius, or even have his facts straight. If it's U.S. history it is mostly lies anyway.

·
Registered
799 Posts
His character has changed a lot in recent times though. He has decided to go with a laid back style of talking.

Yeah, nerds were obsessed with him until Vince decided to change his character, Now he doesn't appeal to the nerds due to totally dumbing down..

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Though his character has sort of changed a lot (and even dulled down some) he is the only announcer that makes feel like like I'm actually watching "professional wrestling."

·
Registered
799 Posts
Though his character has sort of changed a lot (and even dulled down some) he is the only announcer that makes feel like like I'm actually watching "professional wrestling."
I think Vince wanted Matt to appeal to an even wider audience.
just not a fan of the way they changed his character when he was doing so brilliant, that a lot of members on here adored him.

·
Registered
13,215 Posts
A concern definitely worthy of a thread. :)

·
The Man
15,344 Posts
I don't dislike him really, he can be awesome in a play-by-play announcer role, though he does come across as a bit of a smug douche. There's nothing wrong with that, but if you're going to play the "I'm smarter than everyone else" gimmick, GET YOUR ENGLISH CORRECT PLEASE.

Whenever I hear 'Whomever' from him I RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE xO
That's one of my problems with the guy. He plays a smug douche, but yet he says a lot of really stupid things, so he just comes off looking like an idiot.

·
Charismatic Enigma
4,103 Posts
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDD

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
The (presumed) fact that Cole and King hate him means we're almost obligated to love him no matter what, right?
Actually, I always got the feeling that Cole and Striker exchange good natured ribs as friends would do. Whereas, King doesn't seem to like Striker at all.

I think Striker's biggest strength is that he's actually a big fan of the product, so his excitement seems genuine. He's not like Cole, who is a journalist. He's a just a regular dude who got fired from his last job because of his love of wrestling.

·
GOAT
4,523 Posts
I really like Striker, he knows wrestling, unlike Michael Cole who'll simply talk about how great the Miz is etc. and call moves like the Koji clutch an Anaconda Vise.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts