Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm talking about storylines like The Nexus last year, and the Punk/Conspiracy, etc. I don't think they're doing it intentionally but I think they're watching the ratings and buyrates and trying to see if they go up or not.

So take The Nexus storyline last year. They tease maybe Cena will turn heel, maybe he'll join Nexus, what if he gets fired??? etc etc. Then they wait. And then when the ratings don't budge, or they're afraid they'll lose money they go into panic mode and kind of reset everything. They want to try to hook people without actually going for anything until they know that audience is there.

Same with the Punk storyline this year. They figured they had an opportunity with Punk, the saw how hot everyone was for Punk to win at MITB and they pulled the trigger. Good move. Then maybe the ratings/buyrates weren't going up enough, or they started losing faith in Punk and again, panic mode, put the belt back on Cena, HHH takes over the main storyline and everything goes back to suck again.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm trying to take an optimistic perspective on this. I truly think that WWE does want to put on a better show, and they know that fans want something new and exciting as well, and they want to make more money as well. But at the same time, playing it safe right now keeps everything consistent. I think that's why we've been having this weird booking the last year or so where everything's same old/same old, then something awesome, then it resets, then they turn it around, then back to the same old stuff. They're trying to catch that lightning again without taking a major chance.

·
Banned
2,176 Posts
Yes you are right about Everything. They hotshotted HHH-Punk storyline just for the Buyrates which fucked up a potentially huge angle completely. Hopefully it will resume after SS leading all the way to WM.

Also one more problem, there are just too many PPVs which is really hurting the storyline continuity on raw.

·
Keeping the red flag flying high
2,046 Posts
I agree with you, its a shame that WWE is so ratings orientated (even when they have no competition) because it seems that they are unwilling to take the initial risk of a dip in ratings so that people can begin to get invested in new characters, ideas etc. and once people have latched onto/invested in the new direction the ratings would undoubtedly go back up and probably even surpass the origingal point.

At this point thought I doubt it'll ever change until its too late.

·
Banned
4,994 Posts
When they make a 2 month plan of a storyline and stick to it with minor tweaks then they will see results. Instead of the current state, where you can read all the time "this was made last second" and such things. Those last second decisions are usually good for the following Raw or PPV, but in long term they kill any chance of sticking to original proposed storyline, and force WWE to find new bits of the story constantly due last seconds changes and brainstorms.

WWE is much like the Butterfly Effect movie.

·
Sheriff of Piltover
2,880 Posts
I completely agree with you. It is sad that they are so ratings dependent.. I think if they actually committed to something, they might like what happens.

They need to find a good balance that entertains the adults that love great story and wrestling, and the kids that enjoy superheroes and poopy jokes.

I think I could stand a Super Cena-like character and their jokes if it meant I would have a riveting story and great wrestling matches.

·
Registered
275 Posts
MITB was up 20 percent from the previous year with it being free on sky tv (which had to pay the year before) so the buyrate was there. HHH just got involved and it was downhill from there. I didnt buy summerslam since i knew with him being the ref some bs ending (like the count with the leg on the rope) would happen.

·
Banned
4,257 Posts
I have a few theories as well:

- No long-term planning
- Panicking short-term
- Doing shit just to entertain Vince instead of focusing on making a logical product

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
I truly think that WWE does want to put on a better show
I could disagree more. It's pretty clear they are happy with mediocrity with no immediate threat.

Also, under your theory, Triple H should have been gone from TV within 3 weeks upo his return since segments with him and Punk kind of bombed. Obviously we have seen Punk take down a notch but Triple H is still the person the show is revolving around.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,025 Posts
I agree with the sentiment of the thread. The WWE are incredibly short sighted in terms of storylines, it's almost as if they're only booking stories to last for a month and then after that, they just pull out whatever comes to their minds.

·
Registered
546 Posts
they brought back DX off camera just to sell wrestlemania to people in texas hoping to fill up that 100k person arena... no storyline just a last second thing they knew would mark people out. It's like they don't want to take the on camera risks to their polished PG program and risk losing sponsors or casuals.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
They have no faith in their storylines, they can't stick with anything for the long termas they're too worried about ratings. It's what killed WCW.

·
Registered
22,691 Posts
I agree with the sentiment of the thread. The WWE are incredibly short sighted in terms of storylines, it's almost as if they're only booking stories to last for a month and then after that, they just pull out whatever comes to their minds.
Didn't the dirt sheets mention that WWE plans in the short term

They have no faith in their storylines, they can't stick with anything for the long termas they're too worried about ratings. It's what killed WCW.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Lately? This is has been a problem for at least several years now. Anyone with a half a brain could watch Monday Night Raw and tell that everything was planned the night before on a bar napkin or something. In fact if you were to ask the WWE writers today on October 17th about next week's Raw on October 24th, I'd imagine they'd shrug their shoulders in confusion. And it hurts the product to no end. It's very discouraging to the viewers at home knowing that everything they're seeing on screen won't have any ramifications beyond a month or so at best.

- They tried really, really hard to make us believe that Cena's match with Barret would matter. The title was on the line, and if Cena lost he'd have to join Nexus. Granted I couldn't give a shit but I would imagine plenty of the younger fans did. So after all the hooplah and all the build up... one month later and the status quo is maintained. Cena is still employed by the WWE, is still happy go lucky, and feuds with someone else entirely as if the whole thing never happened.

- Punk goes of on WWE and becomes Public Enemy #1. HHH comes out of nowhere, Kevin Nash comes out of nowhere, and all of a sudden the focus is shifted onto Punk and HHH. One month later, all is forgiven, Punk and HHH are friends, the angle is a distant memory... and the focus is shifted onto something completely different.

The moral of the story is that nothing is ever of consequence. Whatever happens on RAW tonight will be distant memory four weeks from now, and everything that transpires will ultimately amount to nothing at all. Before you know it, the focus will be on something entirely new and this will have been a waste of time. They spent a fucking YEAR shoving the mystery GM down our throats. Where did that go? Nowhere. Waste. Of. Time.

·
Banned
404 Posts
Haven't been following all that much, the storylines have grown so convoluted and mixed up.
Did they ever resolve that "anonymous general manager" thing, or is that one just another story left flapping in the breeze ?

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
I wouldn't say the route they went with HHH being in charge was exactly 'safety' mode.

I thought it was quite a gripping, interesting story.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
I have my own theory: it's because they're idiots and don't realise they've lost about three quarters of their main event scene in the last 2 years.

We no longer have Batista, Shawn or Edge.

Triple H, Undertaker and Jericho are all pretty much semi-retired - and Rey Mysterio might not be far off from joining them.

Who have we been given to replace them all?

CM Punk, and they didn't even have enough faith in him to keep the belt on him.

Nobody cares about Del Rio and he should have won at Wrestlemania, but instead they completely bailed on him and cut his balls off. They also bailed on R-Truth. Miz is a multi-time champion whose matches suck ass. We also have 50+ year-old Kevin Nash being brought in to try and help out.

The main event scene is absolutely dead right now.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
"The ball" just isn't that great.

It's just frickin weird how John Cena is carrying these storylines. The second it moves away from him is the second that ball is completely deflated.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts