Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. It needed more of the shows "King Court, Heartbreak Hotel, Piper's pit, etc." the interviews and promos even though the boil down to "me wrestler going to beat you wrestler" were the better parts of RAW.

2. It reminded me of how good a mid card needs to be. Diesel, HBK, Razor Ramon feud for the IC belt was a great showcase of talent. Why can't it be ths same for the US and IC titles today?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
1. It needed more of the shows "King Court, Heartbreak Hotel, Piper's pit, etc." the interviews and promos even though the boil down to "me wrestler going to beat you wrestler" were the better parts of RAW.

2. It reminded me of how good a mid card needs to be. Diesel, HBK, Razor Ramon feud for the IC belt was a great showcase of talent. Why can't it be ths same for the US and IC titles today?
WWE believes only thing that matters is the main event. They believe mid-carders can't draw anymore.

Miz is the first mid-carder in years that has been getting pushed strongly without a world belt under his accolades.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Catch 22, they think they dont draw, they dont write good stories for people to connect to, they dont get attention so they dont draw.

Bourne is the example this is crap though and they need to focus more on the mid card and have things like the tag titles main event a show or the IC title be the main feud again to give the WWE title or WHC title a rest from the focal point.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's true. I must be forgetting something but it seems the last time the midcard was valid was when the Rock, HHH, and Austin were in it.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I would say that was when it was at its peak but it also got a good showing back in the early 00s. You had the cruiserweight division on smackdown
tag teams like the APA, the dudleys, the hardys, E&C
edge was also about the IC title with jericho
You had benoit and Eddie int he mid card
the european title and hardcore title witht he 24/7 rule

·
Registered
2,383 Posts

Jericho vs Rey?
Ziggler vs Rey?
MVP vs Miz?

Please, that time period sucked. Stop overrating it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
In April of 1994, approx. a year since Raw debuted, there were 48 workers on the WWF roster. There were THREE (3) championships for ALL FORTY EIGHT of those wrestlers to compete for: WWF Championship, WWF Intercontinental Championship and the WWF Tag Team Championship.

Today, not counting NXT, there are 57 active wrestlers on the WWE roster. There are SIX (6) championships for ALL FIFTY SEVEN of those wrestlers to compete for: WWE Championship, World Heavyweight Championship, WWE Intercontinental Championship, WWE United States Championship, WWE Tag Team Championship and the World Tag Team Championship.

In 1994, MAIN EVENTERS like Bret "Hitman" Hart, "Macho Man" Randy Savage, Yokozuna, Lex Luger and The Undertaker would compete for the WWF Championship while UPPER MIDCARDERS like Shawn Michaels, Owen Hart, Razor Ramon, Irwin R. Schyster and Jeff Jarrett would compete for the WWF Intercontinental Championship.

Today, there has to be TWICE AS MANY MAIN EVENTERS because there are TWICE AS MANY titles to compete for. At one point or another during this past year (2010), the following people have been involved in the Main Event scene competing for either the WWE Championship or the World Heavyweight Championship: Edge, Undertaker, Rey Mysterio, Sheamus, Randy Orton, John Cena, Batista, Chris Jericho, Shawn Michaels, Triple H, CM Punk, Jack Swagger, Big Show and Kane.

This has left a rather shallow pool of UPPER MIDCARDERS to compete for the secondary titles, WWE United States Championship and the WWE Intercontinental Championship: Dolph Ziggler, John Morrison, Kofi Kingston, Drew McIntyre, The Miz, R-Truth and MVP.

If the rules of 1994 applied to today's WWE, the number of MAIN EVENTERS competing for the primary title would be cut in half with the rest becoming UPPER MIDCARDERS and competing for the secondary title with the current pool of UPPER MIDCARDERS becoming MIDCARDERS and only occasionally competing for the secondary title but rarely if ever, winning it.

While this whole concept may seem hard to grasp for those who have been so accustomed to the current system, the reason I go into so much detail explaining it is to make the distinction between bad booking and bad wrestling.

Take the two best UPPER MIDCARDERS today, say it's Dolph Ziggler and The Miz. Do any of us honestly believe they could tear the house down like Shawn Michaels and Razor Ramon did at WrestleMania 10? Unfortunately, there aren't very many competing in the MAIN EVENT right now capable of putting on such a show! It's just the state of wrestling right now. The deeper you have to go in the talent pool, the less talent you're going to find. It doesn't matter how they're booked. They could be given the greatest storyline ever written but when it's time to finally have a match and they stink out the joint, all that build-up is going to be for NOTHING! So guess what, people don't pay their money to see these guys next time. In other words, they don't draw.

It's so easy to blame people we never see like the creative staff, but the truth is, if we were all honest, we'd have to admit that the product itself is not that good, in or out of the ring. I've posted rants about this before but if the WWE would quit overextending and overexposing its product, get rid of half the belts, get rid of the whole brand concept (yes, that means no more Smackdown) then you'd have better workers mixing their talents w/the less able workers competing for the I-C belt and that title would become a hot commodity again organically. They wouldn't have to force anything or come up w/some new storyline.

Anyway, there's my two cents. I've got more to say but don't have the energy to post it now.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Smackdown existed before the brand split. If the brand split ended there would be
WWE World Heavyweight Title - main event
Intercontential Title -upper mid card
US/European/TV title - lower mid card
tag
Diva

wrestlers on SmackDown would be those competing in the next PPV needing to advance their storlyine or who didn't get a chance to wrestle on RAW that week but it wouldn't it be forced in the brand split way. Wrestlers could switch between shows easily.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jericho vs Rey?
Ziggler vs Rey?
MVP vs Miz?

Please, that time period sucked. Stop overrating it.
I would take Bret, HBK, Owen, Davey Boy, Double J, Mr. Perfect from the 90s over Rey, Ziggler, MVP, Miz any day.

Besides the point I was making was for how the IC title had importance not who was feuding for it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, when the product dies, otherwise people will always make suggestions for improvements on things they like and want to see stick around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts