Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously when the rumor of his return happened, I thought of all potential dream match ups I never thought I would see him wrestle. Edge vs:
AJ Styles, Seth Rollins, Aleister Black, Finn Balor, Matt Riddle, Daniel Bryan (idk if they ever wrestled each other), Adam Cole ect...

Instead we get this long, granted good, story with Randy Orton. Who I'm sure wrestled each other plenty of times before Edge initially retired. I believe Edge's return would be a waste if the only time we see him in the ring is against Randy Orton. I was fine with the Mania match, tolerated them doing the Backlash match but that's it. I didn't need to see a match at Summerslam, I saw a rumor that an I Quit match was originally in the plans between him and Orton. Please no, so many guys on the roster I want to see Edge wrestle, Orton is the last person I want to see him face ever again.

·
Queen of all Galaxies
3,730 Posts
Yeah, they are definitely wasting Edge's return. I don't want to see him feuding with Orton until WrestleMania 37, it's overkill.

Give Edge new opponents, like Rollins, Zayn, Owens, Fiend, Andrade, Garza, Riddle, Cole, Ciampa and Styles. Bryan, Ziggler and McIntyre would be some other great opponents for him, even though he faced them in the past.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Before covid 19, he was probably going to appear more often, and therefore have more opportunities to work with other people.

He also got injured in his second match back. So that might have canceled some plans, and maybe they will be more cautios about letting him wrestle now. Edge getting a second severe injury could potentially be a publicity nightmare.

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
It was an obvious story for him out the gate. Edge coming back is helped by history. Some of the execution of the Edge/Orton story has been shit, but the idea of these two guys who used to run riot together giving each other sideways smiles only for the guy who's been around to say "Fuck you for coming back" makes total sense. This is my turf now -- I'm going to hurt you for trying to take it back. And that went to WrestleMania and Backlash and now here we are. It's not all he will do -- it's just what's there at the start. Ideally, they'd probably have done the blow-off either by now or SummerSlam and the two would spin off into different programs, Edge would try seriously to go after a title (to prove he's still got it -- it's why he came back in the Rumble in the first place), and someone will fuck with him and that'd be his next feud, etc.

I imagine we will get Edge vs. Seth Rollins next, and that's my personal gut feeling for a WrestleMania match for Edge. Rollins is basically a spiritual successor to Edge anyway, so you'd have the original Money in the Bank Winner and Ultimate Opportunist telling this new punk that it doesn't bring you happiness, and you're about to be a father and the respect of your children is going to mean more than money or getting ahead by whatever means. Rollins will blah on about how it is so sad he has to end Edge's career, and yeah. It'll probably be a pretty good match with a pretty average build.

Then you'll probably have a draft and AJ will likely move back to Raw and go against Edge. There's your next match. And so on and so forth.

·
The Babyface of WF
12,535 Posts
It's drawn out sure but it's the best storyline in a long time you have to at least admit that.

Edge will eventually get to mingle with other talent specifically Seth and AJ who are his most desirable foils right now.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
It should have been a one and done deal with Orton.

Edge should have worked programs with others. Who knows, maybe if that second match with Orton doesn't happen, he doesn't get injured.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Well the rumour was he was pencilled in to face AJ Styles at Mania then they didn't know how injured AJ was so they hot shoted him into a feud with Orton.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,544 Posts
Edge vs Orton is the ideal return program for Edge though. Sure Edge could return and just put on a series of matches in cold feuds vs a bunch of the charisma vacuum smark favourites that dont know how to tell a story or he can work an angle with a guy he has chemistry with and a guy that can fulfil his part of the feud and play a believable badguy.

Its all well and good to focus on all these "dream matches" (That term has been tarnished by the way, I mean Edge vs Alestair Black is a dream match now?!?) but those feuds would all likely suck.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
10,070 Posts
I feel you OP. I was expecting Edge vs AJ Styles, Edge vs McIntyre in an "I want to win the title one more time" storyline, Edge vs KO, Edge vs Mysterio, Edge vs Rollins, Edge vs Ciampa (they both broke their necks, they can build off of that) etc. There were so many matches/storylines that they could have used Edge for. While the Orton program has been good, it still sucks that this is all he will be doing. Now it looks like they're stretching it out to WM37. That's a blower. Especially when he is on limited dates. This whole thing should have ended at Mania and we should have moved into a feud with AJ Styles or something.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Brought him back for just "the greatest match ever🤪🤪" and got injured doing it!

Yeah, would suck if he just came back for that again.. Thats all we ever get anymore and so why even look forward to the returns anymore if its gonna be a disappointment?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am sure Edge has a lot of input on who he personally wants to work with and I am defenitly sure that if they do another match with Randy it will be becuase edge wanted and insisted about it.

Believe it or not , not all old times are like Jericho who wants to return only so they can out over young talents .

Edge is doing this for himself as he wasn’t happy how his career ended and wanted to work with a friend and familiar face and the only one active star that is still around And still relevant from edges time is Randy.

·
Southern Pride
3,566 Posts
I do wish that Edge would move on from Orton. Especially now that he got injured, keeping him away longer than planned. At the same time, this story between both doesn't feel complete after the result of their last match.

I'm with ya on wanting to see Edge wrestle others. Hopefully his body holds up.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,286 Posts
Randy was perfect as Edge's first opponent. The two of them have a history with each other and Orton is one of the best in-ring workers in WWE right now so he was a good match for Edge who has been out of the ring for years. As far as their feud goes. I think they're telling a great story. It feels personal between them so it's going to take longer than a regular feud to finish. It could even go on for a whole year but as long as they keep things fresh between I'm ok with that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts