Wrestling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

Registered
HTM was getting heat back then, has to be the funniest shoot interviewer ever too, he doesnt care about any love for the boys , and it shows 馃ぃ

Well, to be fair, his chauffeur in that video became a multi-time world champion and he didn't. :D

Exactly @Hotdiggity11 even the addition of sapphire was supposedly his input thing is this all took off like most things and it gets forgotten both Vince and his Father through Eddie Graham liked Dusty especially Junior who was obviously inspired by those superstar vs dusty matches

now was there a little competitive heat at one point sure absolutely Dusty was literally his toughest completion pre Nash & Hall debuting on nitro but Vince respected Dusty

Yup, I think at that point Dusty was fine not being a serious character and having fun. I heard the same thing about Sapphire being his valet. He had 2 decades of being a serious character in other territories. I think his WWF run was mostly just a last chance to make money as a full time wrestler after getting fired by JCP/WCW. He only left after getting offered a booking job by WCW.

Registered
Looking at @DUSTY 74 info from the kayfabe dirt sheets. People dont understand the heat Dibase got in midsouth , yet Piper was proabably the greatest heel of all time he would start actual riots. Sorry got off topic.
Yep and also worth considering a southern heat was allot more palpable than the WWF
as good as he was particularly w Hogan pre NY Piper is a whole other level to 84 on
Dibiase was still livin that life

also consider as fun as these magazine rankings were at the time no internet etc they were also a political animal like anything else still a fun snap shot time capsule so to speak

Registered
Well, to be fair, his chauffeur in that video became a multi-time world champion and he didn't. :D

Yup, I think at that point Dusty was fine not being a serious character and having fun. I heard the same thing about Sapphire being his valet. He had 2 decades of being a serious character in other territories. I think his WWF run was mostly just a last chance to make money as a full time wrestler after getting fired by JCP/WCW. He only left after getting offered a booking job by WCW.
Dust was also nursing a broken toe for a good part of that run which he has stated was possibly his most frustrating injury of his career

Registered
Dust was also nursing a broken toe for a good part of that run which he has stated was possibly his most frustrating injury of his career

Being a tall top-heavy guy with any sort of foot or ankle injury is absolutely the worst. That's over 250 pounds bearing down on your feet every time you take a step. I was a big guy in college and had an ankle injury so I can testify.

Registered
He seems to be talking from his point of view, not sure if there is anything out there in which Dusty complained? I鈥檝e never seen anything, just wondering if Valentine is just talking out of his ass, or, if Dusty really had a big problem and thought Vince wanted to embarrass him. Dustin did an interview a while ago and wasn鈥檛 even sure if it was a rib or anything.
Dusty thought (and did) make it work.

In an interview with Brodie Clay, he mentions Dusty and the polka dots, and his thoughts on it:

Registered
Pretty much it has been said the polka dots were Dusty's idea. By that point, he was in his mid-40s and was never going to be featured as a serious main event contender. If anything, the gimmick endeared him to the WWF audience at that time and he actually did get featured in some high profile feuds. Plus that theme song was fire. :D

Besides look what super serious and stoic Greg Valentine was doing at the same Wrestlemania that Dusty Rhodes defeated Randy Savage in a tag team match LOL.

That theme song was up there with Real American imo back in 1989. At the time I didn't take the polka dots as anything as a rib since polka dots was in at the time lol.

Hip hop artists use to wear them in videos and so on. So Dusty's antics with Sapphire kind of made sense.

Harvester of Sorrow
The difference between Cody and Dusty is that Cody is probably more aware of how things are today in the business than Dusty was and so was prepared for it. Dusty could never have foreseen how he was going to be treated by Vince and WWE. He was a former NWA World Champion and one of the most over babyfaces in his time so he probably felt he had leverage with WWE. When he finally did arrive things didn't work out as he hoped and Vince gave him a ridiculous gimmick to embarrass him. Cody on the other hand seems to have a smart mind for the business. He probably had some assurances from Vince and WWE before he signed his contract so I doubt it will be the same for Cody as it was for Dusty.

Registered
Stupid point he makes. Cody is being treated as a God beat Rollins many times and will probably be the one to dethrone Reigns. He wants his big moment and world title in WWE and he's gonna do all that in honor of his pops.

That's why he went to WWE lol.

It was 3 months pre injury. This injury pushed things back for him but it'll be real interesting where Cody is 2 years in non-stop.

Registered
I can think of millions of reasons why Cody signed with WWE. Plus when Dusty signed with WWE he eventually got to wrestle with Dustin so it wasn鈥檛 all bad. It鈥檚 not like they made him act like a Rooster or wear a wierd bodysuit.

Registered
Look they did treat Dusty pretty bad, vince was known to do that to many talent coming over just to bury them to WWE talent (yet always had some affinity for Flair, I guess both being notrious womanizers even in that industry), however it seem like it was water under the bridge, wasnt Dusty playing a role in NXT in his later years? And when Distin returned they treated him like a big deal , and payed him good.
Did they really treat Dusty badly? The guy was over as a motherfucker, worked with top end talent like Savage and DiBiase, was featured prominently on TV and PPV and rarely lost matches on TV or house shows. People bitch too much about the polka dots. The guy literally had like a Handful of loses televised or otherwise until the fall of 1990 when he started talking to/agreed to go to WCW as head booker.

Registered
I can think of millions of reasons why Cody signed with WWE. Plus when Dusty signed with WWE he eventually got to wrestle with Dustin so it wasn鈥檛 all bad. It鈥檚 not like they made him act like a Rooster or wear a wierd bodysuit.
Yeah that bodysuit hurt Dustin's career. LOL. The Goldust character is what he's likely going to be remembered for and he still wears face paint and a bodysuit to this day.

Premium Member
View attachment 125673

For all you youngin鈥檚 if you will 鈥.. Dusty was wearing Dots on his own accord long before 1991 run in which He was given ample television time and a feuded with and went over on top Heels in the Company like Macho Man Randy Savage and The Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase
Why does Backlund look 12??

Registered
I think Cody made the right choice and he鈥檚 been booked fine so far. There was definitely a gap in the roster for someone like him and I can see him being the champ next year and having a year long run. He鈥檚 said that he doesn鈥檛 want to wrestle for too much longer so could see him moving to an ambassador role or perhaps even trying to shoot up the corporate ladder and get a spot in the office .

Registered
They did treat Dusty like a joke. The difference with Cody is that they need him because that company can't create new stars. That's usually what happens when you have one person bury the entire roster.

Registered
From Greg's point of view, perhaps he saw it as an awful move. After Dusty left, you had his son come in, Dustin as Goldust and he did wonders with that gimmick, i would say far better than Dusty in the WWF. Dusty was known to enjoy to dance and he was older, personally i think Dusty may not want to admit it but he enjoyed his polka dot gimmick.
Brodus Clay mentioned in CVV interview that Dusty wasn't too keen on polka dots and dancing but took it upon himself to make it work. He made it a challenge for himself to get it over.

That's what motivated Brodus Clay to accept Funkasaurus gimmick.

Pretty sure he needed the money and wasn't in the position to be "I'm too good for this shit".

21 - 40 of 48 Posts