Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Pretty much it has been said the polka dots were Dusty's idea. By that point, he was in his mid-40s and was never going to be featured as a serious main event contender. If anything, the gimmick endeared him to the WWF audience at that time and he actually did get featured in some high profile feuds. Plus that theme song was fire. :D

Besides look what super serious and stoic Greg Valentine was doing at the same Wrestlemania that Dusty Rhodes defeated Randy Savage in a tag team match LOL.

Exactly @Hotdiggity11 even the addition of sapphire was supposedly his input thing is this all took off like most things and it gets forgotten both Vince and his Father through Eddie Graham liked Dusty especially Junior who was obviously inspired by those superstar vs dusty matches

now was there a little competitive heat at one point sure absolutely Dusty was literally his toughest completion pre Nash & Hall debuting on nitro but Vince respected Dusty

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Looking at @DUSTY 74 info from the kayfabe dirt sheets. People dont understand the heat Dibase got in midsouth , yet Piper was proabably the greatest heel of all time he would start actual riots. Sorry got off topic.
Yep and also worth considering a southern heat was allot more palpable than the WWF
as good as he was particularly w Hogan pre NY Piper is a whole other level to 84 on
Dibiase was still livin that life

also consider as fun as these magazine rankings were at the time no internet etc they were also a political animal like anything else still a fun snap shot time capsule so to speak

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Well, to be fair, his chauffeur in that video became a multi-time world champion and he didn't. :D

Yup, I think at that point Dusty was fine not being a serious character and having fun. I heard the same thing about Sapphire being his valet. He had 2 decades of being a serious character in other territories. I think his WWF run was mostly just a last chance to make money as a full time wrestler after getting fired by JCP/WCW. He only left after getting offered a booking job by WCW.
Dust was also nursing a broken toe for a good part of that run which he has stated was possibly his most frustrating injury of his career

1 - 7 of 7 Posts