Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this goes here or classic wrestling. What are your thoughts? Do you think Valentine has a point? Or no?

Here's basically what Greg Valentine said:

" You know i wouldn't go to WWE if i would have been Cody. I would never done that because he helped start AEW out. I would have never done that to go to WWE, i just don't understand it, but maybe there's a reason that i don't see. But good luck to the guy, he's a nice guy. Cody is a good worker.

I don't think Dusty enjoyed being in WWF; wearing those polka dots and stuff. I cant believe Dusty went for it;i know he wanted to go to New York and fly in to the shows for Vince; Vince has him put these polka dots on, with a short lady taking him out (nothing against her or Safire) but the whole thing is a mockery on Dusty.

It's like Vince slapping Dusty in the face. If i had Dusty i would have never done that. No matter how hard you wanted to get in the WWF, i would have never done that. That's bullshit. It was Vince's ego, he wanted Dusty to look like a piece of shit. I take Dusty overcame it, but i didnt like it at all. He made it work and swallowed his pride. But, Dusty was a great worker. He was fat but it didnt matter because he knew how to work. He had a lot of charisma, drew a lot of money in florida, in the Carolinas' and in WCW. I was disappointed he went for it, but he did it. He did the best for it. Dusty had a big ego and he knew he was good and knew how to work, great on the mic and for him to take a step down like that; i Just dont get it, i guess he wanted to be in WWF bad. He didnt need that.

They used to fly him in NY, when he was big in Florida. He would come in work with Billy Graham and whoever was top dog; In the long he made up making the WWF gimmick work and when he want back to WCW it was all forgotten. Oh my God.

·
Mrs. Randy Orton
Queen Cobra
20,071 Posts
He seems to be talking from his point of view, not sure if there is anything out there in which Dusty complained? I’ve never seen anything, just wondering if Valentine is just talking out of his ass, or, if Dusty really had a big problem and thought Vince wanted to embarrass him. Dustin did an interview a while ago and wasn’t even sure if it was a rib or anything.

Reactions: jpickens

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From Greg's point of view, perhaps he saw it as an awful move. After Dusty left, you had his son come in, Dustin as Goldust and he did wonders with that gimmick, i would say far better than Dusty in the WWF. Dusty was known to enjoy to dance and he was older, personally i think Dusty may not want to admit it but he enjoyed his polka dot gimmick.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Look they did treat Dusty pretty bad, vince was known to do that to many talent coming over just to bury them to WWE talent (yet always had some affinity for Flair, I guess both being notrious womanizers even in that industry), however it seem like it was water under the bridge, wasnt Dusty playing a role in NXT in his later years? And when Distin returned they treated him like a big deal , and payed him good.

·
Registered
760 Posts
View attachment 125673

For all you youngin’s if you will ….. Dusty was wearing Dots on his own accord long before 1991 run in which He was given ample television time and a feuded with and went over on top Heels in the Company like Macho Man Randy Savage and The Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase
Was that from pwi when they were still in Kayfabe?

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
A big difference is not only was Dusty no longer in his prime, WWF had a lot of huge stars already there when he joined. WWE has absolutely no depth in their roster with big names today (their own fault) that Cody automatically became one of their biggest stars the moment he came back.

Then again, it still doesn't excuse them treating his father like a joke, though.

·
Registered
760 Posts
This particular ranking was monthly one ran Specifically by Inside Wrestling Magazine mid 70s through about 1984/85 but Technically Yes its kayfabe just like PWI’s
Wow yeah I remember PWI was in kayfabe all the way into even 1997 , I remember thinking why Dean Malenko was PWI 500 #1 that year when Austin, Hart, Sting, Misawa, Kobashi, Kawada, HBK, Taker, Rey Mysterio all doing their thing and huge at the time

·
Registered
18,540 Posts
Pretty much it has been said the polka dots were Dusty's idea. By that point, he was in his mid-40s and was never going to be featured as a serious main event contender. If anything, the gimmick endeared him to the WWF audience at that time and he actually did get featured in some high profile feuds. Plus that theme song was fire. :D

Besides look what super serious and stoic Greg Valentine was doing at the same Wrestlemania that Dusty Rhodes defeated Randy Savage in a tag team match LOL.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Pretty much it has been said the polka dots were Dusty's idea. By that point, he was in his mid-40s and was never going to be featured as a serious main event contender. If anything, the gimmick endeared him to the WWF audience at that time and he actually did get featured in some high profile feuds. Plus that theme song was fire. :D

Besides look what super serious and stoic Greg Valentine was doing at the same Wrestlemania that Dusty Rhodes defeated Randy Savage in a tag team match LOL.

HTM was getting heat back then, has to be the funniest shoot interviewer ever too, he doesnt care about any love for the boys , and it shows 🤣

·
Registered
1,700 Posts

Exactly @Hotdiggity11 even the addition of sapphire was supposedly his input thing is this all took off like most things and it gets forgotten both Vince and his Father through Eddie Graham liked Dusty especially Junior who was obviously inspired by those superstar vs dusty matches

now was there a little competitive heat at one point sure absolutely Dusty was literally his toughest completion pre Nash & Hall debuting on nitro but Vince respected Dusty

·
Registered
15,135 Posts
A big difference is not only was Dusty no longer in his prime, WWF had a lot of huge stars already there when he joined. WWE has absolutely no depth in their roster with big names today (their own fault) that Cody automatically became one of their biggest stars the moment he came back.

Then again, it still doesn't excuse them treating his father like a joke, though.
Dusty had been fired from Turnerr so was desperate for work too whereas Cody was free agent who could go where he pleased. Also Dusty was 44 years old when he joined WWE, Cody is 36 so big age difference.

Dusty was head booker in JCP a company Vince had been at war with since 84 when they got Vince kicked off Turner tv. Aside from little silly talk Cody and AEW were never at war with Vince.

I don't think the starpower has anything to do with it because few years later they booked Flair super strong. Vince knew Dusty needed any job whereas Flair didn't

1 - 20 of 48 Posts