Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
....when it comes to the crowds and getting wrestlers over. I think its safe to say that one of the main reasons Daniel Bryan is getting over in a WWE crowd is because of the smarks/hardcores continuously cheering him during almost every match. Even when he wasn't even in the company after he got fired you guys remember the name chants? Im sure the WWE took notice and I think the crowd is starting to get behind him because the smarks/hardcores are so behind him. What people I think forget is that because of the smarks/hardcores guys like Stone Cold Steve Austin started getting cheered. The smarks/hardcores kept cheering and soon the casuals followed. Same for the Rock when he was heel. The smarks/hardcores kept cheering and soon enough the casuals followed.

I mean today I'd say the exact same thing happened to Randy Orton and now look at him? Hes becoming one of the top babyfaces in the company.

I think as smarks/hardcores(Yes we are all are because we are on a damn wrestling forum) we need to realize that if you cheer or boo loud enough or frequent enough we'll most likely get what we want. Now of course not ALL the time(Christin? :no: John Cena? :no:) but most of the time I think the WWE will listen.

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
Agree with nearly all of what you have said.

Except for the Randy Orton thing, didn't near enough literally everyone hate him (on this forum, arguably still do)? Literally the whole wrestling fanbase disliked Orton untill he was pushed and pushed down our throats until the very small minority grew.

Reactions: Refuse

·
DELIRIUM
4,544 Posts
Agreed. Even on the Orton part. Before this face turn, there seemed to be alot more Orton fans around here.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
I think smarks matter in nudging the company in the right direction. Heel/face turns, who to push, who has talent. But in the major shit, they have no influence. As you said, look at Cena. Everyone and their grandma wanted to kill him in 2006, but Vince held on and it paid off.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
Let's not kid ourselves. WWE's core audience doesn't even influence the product in the grander scheme. Smarks - which make up, oh, about less than 1% of the audience - have no say at all, and this is coming from a devout smark. Not since the death of the real ECW have smart fans really had all that much of an influence.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let's not kid ourselves. WWE's core audience doesn't even influence the product in the grander scheme. Smarks - which make up, oh, about less than 1% of the audience - have no say at all, and this is coming from a devout smark. Not since the death of the real ECW have smart fans really had all that much of an influence.
Well it was only that 1% that kept cheering Daniel Bryan and look at him now. You don't really have to have a huge percentage of smarks in the crowd all it takes is 3-4 guys to start a chant hell even ONE guy can do it and more often than not the crowd follows. The smarks just gotta start getting more vocal at events. I know its hard to be passionate about a product thats so meh but honestly its really the only way for the internet favorites to get noticed.

·
Registered
395 Posts
You don't really have to have a huge percentage of smarks in the crowd all it takes is 3-4 guys to start a chant hell even ONE guy can do it and more often than not the crowd follows. The smarks just gotta start getting more vocal at events. I know its hard to be passionate about a product thats so meh but honestly its really the only way for the internet favorites to get noticed.
I think you'd still have to have a crowd that is already smarter than the average crowd for it to work.

It's hard to start a chant that's outside the box if your crowd only wants to stick within the established parameter and accept what's being fed to them. I was at a House Show in August and it was a Hart Dynasty match. I started a "Canada! Canada!" chant and it didn't do anything. I mean, if you fail to start a chant that's still related to the characters involved, what chance you have have to start a chant that's waaay removed from what has been fed to them.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Agree with nearly all of what you have said.

Except for the Randy Orton thing, didn't near enough literally everyone hate him (on this forum, arguably still do)? Literally the whole wrestling fanbase disliked Orton untill he was pushed and pushed down our throats until the very small minority grew.
I really think this is what happened. I can't recall ever liking him. I respect his work, but it stops there.

·
Student of the game? I am the f***in' Game!!
8,351 Posts
What really qualifies as a smark? WWE has released dozens of dvd's this year destroying the veil that is kayfabe. Theres books other documentaries all out for the public. If you go on wwe.com, they completely shatter the 4th wall. They even air those make a wish, and stand up videos on there actual show where millions of people watching heels break character.

Its any wonder why theres no good heat anymore.

·
Registered
395 Posts
What really qualifies as a smark? WWE has released dozens of dvd's this year destroying the veil that is kayfabe. Theres books other documentaries all out for the public. If you go on wwe.com, they completely shatter the 4th wall. They even air those make a wish, and stand up videos on there actual show where millions of people watching heels break character.

Its any wonder why theres no good heat anymore.
I think in this day and age, you'd be insulting people's intelligence if they try and pretend that it's all legit. So in that way, people are smartened up. In saying that, I don't think these same people analyze storylines, comment on match quality or follow backstage politics. So I guess what makes someone a smark is that they do the 3 things I mentioned in the previous sentence.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think you'd still have to have a crowd that is already smarter than the average crowd for it to work.

It's hard to start a chant that's outside the box if your crowd only wants to stick within the established parameter and accept what's being fed to them. I was at a House Show in August and it was a Hart Dynasty match. I started a "Canada! Canada!" chant and it didn't do anything. I mean, if you fail to start a chant that's still related to the characters involved, what chance you have have to start a chant that's waaay removed from what has been fed to them.
I don't know I don't think I've ever heard a CANADA! chant before. Don't think the crowd would want to chant something like TBH so maybe thats why the crowd didn't get behind you.

Chanting a babyfaces name is chanting 101. Daniel Bryan is fed to us as a face so by the smarks constantly cheering him it actually works in the WWEs favor from all aspects since at the same time the kids will always chant for the good guys anyway.

Depending on the guy I think the chances are really high. You just gotta keep voicing it and eventually people will catch on. I just think WWE smarks nowadays are so "meh" about everything its like "eh who cares anymore".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts