Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people are complaining about The Ascension squashing jobbers but I don't see the problem with this?
This is a good way to get a new wrestler/team over before putting them in their first singles feud.
I know I'm going to sound like an old fart here but I preferred the way WWF used to do things back in the day of having the Superstars squash the jobbers and build up to a match against their nemesis at the PPV. Now we just get feuds where all we get is rematch after rematch and there is no real build to a satisfying conclusion. Then when we do get the PPV match we're sick of it and then the bastards give us a rematch the Raw after the PPV!
Obviously you need a feature match or two to spice things up but I for one wouldn't mind if the WWE were ever to go back to the jobber match model in order to make feuds better, give wrestlers more promo time, have more segments and then build up to a big PPV match to end the feud.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I agree. If they don't get too excessive with it like they did in NXT jobber matches are fine. People are so impatient.

·
Banned
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I liked how on the Hogan days feuds were built up with interview segments and face to face promos and such. Then you'd have the heel blindside the face and give him a beating, that would lead to a few weeks of interviews to hype the PPV match. Then along the way the face and heel would squash jobbers before having a confrontation before the PPV match. Simple. Easy. Effective booking.
The other way was that a face and heel would have a "feature match" that would go to a non-finish or a dq where the heel would injure the face. Then again you'd build to a big match at a PPV with interviews and segments.
Show's like The King's Court, The Brother Love Show, The Barber Shop and The Heartbreak Hotel used to be great ways for feuds starting and getting built up too.

·
Banned
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WWE have kicked the arse out of so many matches the past 2 years

Ziggler v Del Rio
Sheamus v Del Rio
Orton v Cesaro
Swagger v Rusev
Ziggler v Cesaro
Rollins v Ziggler
Usos v any fucking tag team on the roster
Bryan v Kane
Orton v Bryan
Kofi v Miz
Sheamus v Christian

·
Super Moderator
25,840 Posts
They're fine for a week or 2 but it gets old pretty fast. Most people (including myself) are dreading the thought of them squashing jobbers for MONTHS because WWE is too lazy to create storylines for them.

·
Phantom Thief
17,449 Posts
I agree. If they don't get too excessive with it like they did in NXT jobber matches are fine. People are so impatient.
Exactly this. They're fine if you do them like once a show, but NXT goes way overboard sometimes. The go home show to Takeover Fatal 4 Way is one of the worst wrestling shows I've ever seen.

·
Life is Good.
3,924 Posts
Maybe because 'jobber matches' of such quality is relied upon a persistent and repetitive pattern that simply needs modification or get eliminated entirely?

The thing is some of us want WWE to grow bigger and become far more creative in different aspects and areas than it currently is at the moment, instead of always relying on the same type of matches/patterns year after year after year. Almost everything about the WWE is stale, repetitive and quite frankly boring. NXT, however, is graciously different because even though the same type of 'jobber matches' take place there as well at least more and multiple wrestlers get to shine simultaneously without too many wrestlers being left out, unlike the main rosters.

There are other ways of making a debut while making an impact. I have nothing against The Ascension personally but such 5-min 'jobber/making impact'-matches have been done to death and it isn't surprising at all that people are not into them (or rather that kind of booking).

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Exactly this. They're fine if you do them like once a show, but NXT goes way overboard sometimes. The go home show to Takeover Fatal 4 Way is one of the worst wrestling shows I've ever seen.
The main reason NXT is really regarded as good is because its just not draining like Raw is with three whole hours of wrestling. The storylines are better though and it is cool seeing wrestlers before they debut. NXT just runs at a very slow pace which makes it hard to get into. It does have a nice effect of all building up to a huge event with many memorable moments.

I don't remember that show though. What was so bad about it?

·
Phantom Thief
17,449 Posts
There were like seven matches and every single one was a squash where the winner was completely obvious.

·
Banned
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There were like seven matches and every single one was a squash where the winner was completely obvious.
That's the wrestling I grew up on in the late 80's and early 90's before the Monday Night Wars so speaking for myself I don't mind it.
As long as the squash matches are balanced with good promos, beatdowns and segments to drive the storylines on.

·
Phantom Thief
17,449 Posts
Eh, I can understand the appeal but I find that if I know who's going to win every match then there's no point in even tuning in.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I would rather see the new talent come in and pick a fight with an established wrestler(s) right off the bat. Beating up on random guys they bumped into on the street does nothing for them. Even if they don't go over in the feud they are still further along than beating up on rent-a-wins every week. The vignettes introduce them to the fans so these squash matches are useless.

DQ wins/losses to established talents are better than going out twice a week and beating nobodies.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Jobber matches are great, and would actually make WWE more watchable.

Let me explain....

Fans are so fickle, first they complain that we see the same matches over and over, then they complain about jobber matches. They complain when there are lots of matches, then complain when there aren't enough matches.

Jobber matches give an opportunity to showcase guys while building them up. They can also be used to show guys off while that person builds a feud with someone else.

We see the SAMEEEEE matches week in and week out with WWE. The roster isn't deep enough for all the matches they put on. That's a big reason the show sucks so bad.

Why watch anything on a ppv that isn't the main event when you'll probably see a rematch 24 hours later (or, in many cases, the week before)? The tag division is so repetitive that I've fast-forwarded through every tag match in the past 2 months.... And we want to dump the Ascension into that right off the bat?

WWE can't sustain 3 hours of wrestling every Monday. It just can't. Also, people are getting tired of seeing the same matches over and over. It's like the whole, "Lesnar's rare appearances make it special" deal... Make matches between legitimate guys special.

The only options I see are:

1. Keep up the 3 hour Raw's with the same repetitive matches that people lose interest in.

2. Fill Raw with promo segments

3. Feature lots of jobbers so we can maintain the "special" aspect of big time matches (of course, this would require them to have less "squash" matches, so it wouldn't be quite as easy as it sounds, but still)

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Jobber matches are a good way to start guys off, but it's not something you can keep doing over and over. Ryback garnered a ton of skepticism early on largely due to the fact that he was constantly squashing jobbers and enhancement talent. Endless rematches are no fun, but endless jobber matches aren't the answer. Plus, jobber matches make for terrible TV. The last thing WWE needs is another reason to change the channel.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Jobber matches are a good way to start guys off, but it's not something you can keep doing over and over. Ryback garnered a ton of skepticism early on largely due to the fact that he was constantly squashing jobbers and enhancement talent. Endless rematches are no fun, but endless jobber matches aren't the answer. Plus, jobber matches make for terrible TV. The last thing WWE needs is another reason to change the channel.
True, and these days are probably behind us, but I felt like it was a good format where Raw had a couple of main roster matches, then a few jobber matches. Obviously that's almost impossible to do with the 3 hour format, but they need to do SOMETHING to limit over exposure.

I also don't see it as something that can't go back-and-forth. In the past, doing jobber matches, then main roster matches, then jobber matches every few weeks was a good way to keep someone built up, but not have them overexposed/not have main roster matches become stale... Again, it's hard with the current format.

·
Oh My Goddess
3,580 Posts
I don't mind the jobber matches in the case of The Ascension. I don't think highly of them so from my pov it's better that they go over people that don't matter. As opposed to possibly damaging performers that are actually talented.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Doesn't matter what the Ascension does...they are well and truly buried in a heap thanks to JBL!

·
B̴l̨e͡edįng͜ Sin ⛧
10,403 Posts
Because watching a shitty team beat two vanilla midget geeks over and over again is so entertaining and does wonders for them :kobe8

There's a reason why their matches get nothing but silence.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
It gets your brain use to seeing them win. Use to seeing their finishers do the job.

And when they have a real feud you will be programmed into seeing them come out on top and be invested in the outcome.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts