Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not trolling, This just bothered me for a long time and I want to hear opinions.

I never liked him and I'm not speaking about his inring abilities and God those pops he got in that era they were huge.just his character was too arrogant for me, all the flipping and shit actually annoyed me, and yeah I know it's his shit all the anti hero crap but I just don't like him can't give more reasons.

And I admit I didn't watched it back then, mostly its from videos and DVDs...
So that brings me to ask couple of questions, is it just me? am I the only one that didn't like him? State your reason. Was it the era he was in? Would you think today this character would have succeeded? (of course not as much but you get what I'm asking)...

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
As a kid who just became a teenager around that time I loved it & he's one of my favorites of all time.

As I've gotten older & a little wiser, my tastes have changed & I can see how his schtick is a little immature & not really as great as I thought it was a 12 year old in 1998.

As I've gotten even older & even more wiser I've realized, who gives a shit about intelligence & immaturity in wrestling, it's freaking wrestling - cut loose & enjoy it for what it is. And Austin became awesome again for me again.

So yeah, don't really know what I answered but whatever.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
It's still real to you dammit.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
No it's not just you. There are many people who disliked SCSA. Just go back and look through the archives. I liked when he was WWF CEO for like a day. That shit was hilarious. But I preferred other wrestlers at the time. When he turned heel in 2001, I became a huge fan of his in-ring work. While Austin was great at his gimmick and he was in the right era, McMahon doesn't get enough credit for Austin's rise.

Even though I wasn't his biggest fan, I threw down like him in fights. I was like "it works for Stone Cold".

·
Registered
782 Posts
Me too, man. Never liked Austin or Rock.

Taker and HHH were my guys in the Attitude Era - until Jericho debuted.

Jericho was fucking awesome in his prime.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
What is the WWE Network for then?
That only scratches the surface.

You can't go back and relive the anticipations from the RAWs from week to week.

You can't go back to 1998 and use shitty dialup internet at the library to read "dirt sheets" about what the plan going forward was for Austin/McMahon.

You can't go back and erase your memory banks from everything that has happened post-Austin era.

You can't know what it was like to have goody two shoe babyfaces headlining WWF for years and then experience shellshock when an anti-hero like Austin gets super over.

You can watch the network reruns all you want, but if you weren't around while it was happening, you can't appreciate the magnitude in which Austin changed the landscape of the WWE. 2nd only to Hogan.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I consider Austin the greatest character in history, but i was never really behind him back then, i just prefered The Rock.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I think most of you read only the title right? asked some questions would like to hear opinions...
the most interesting for me is
Was it the era he was in? Would you think today this character would have succeeded? (of course not as much but you get what I'm asking)...
and yeah my english is not that good sorry for that

·
Fearless University Graduate
17,745 Posts
That only scratches the surface.

You can't go back and relive the anticipations from the RAWs from week to week.

You can't go back to 1998 and use shitty dialup internet at the library to read "dirt sheets" about what the plan going forward was for Austin/McMahon.

You can't go back and erase your memory banks from everything that has happened post-Austin era.

You can't know what it was like to have goody two shoe babyfaces headlining WWF for years and then experience shellshock when an anti-hero like Austin gets super over.

You can watch the network reruns all you want, but if you weren't around while it was happening, you can't appreciate the magnitude in which Austin changed the landscape of the WWE. 2nd only to Hogan.
Erm huh? Hogan was around before Austin, as were many other goody two shoes faces. Everything Austin did and everything thats happened in WWE since then have all happened before in pro wrestling.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Erm huh? Hogan was around before Austin, as were many other goody two shoes faces. Everything Austin did and everything thats happened in WWE since then have all happened before in pro wrestling.
No.

WWF fans were used to training, saying their prayers, high fiving fans, smiling cheesy feel good babyfaces pre-Austin. The Austin era changed all that.

Ergo, if you weren't around to experience the Austin era, you can't appreciate what it did to the industry.

Please give me an example of a wrestler who did what Austin did prior to the Austin era.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
I don't like Steve Austin
and not one fuck was given. You really think anybody gives a fuck what you, a nobody, thinks? have fun not liking whoever you don't like.

·
Fearless University Graduate
17,745 Posts
No.

WWF fans were used to training, saying their prayers, high fiving fans, smiling cheesy feel good babyfaces pre-Austin. The Austin era changed all that.

Ergo, if you weren't around to experience the Austin era, you can't appreciate what it did to the industry.

Please give me an example of a wrestler who did what Austin did prior to the Austin era.
Your complaint was that the Cena era means that people will look back at Austin differently even though he emerged from amongst similar cheesy faces in his era.

If people today can appreciate what Beethoven did for music then they damn sure can appreciate what a fake fighter did for his TV show.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts