Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watched Ss 89 warrior vs Rick rude and warrior wrestled a damn good Match. Sure he is a techanical wrestler But It was a high energy great Match.

So why do ppl say warrior and ppl Like goldberg cant entertain? The Crowds were always hot for for these 2 guys

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Re: I dont get the hate for the ultimate warrior?

i always thought people had a problem with him personally, although i'm not certain. i always just thought people said he was a liar or scumbag or whatever; i've never really heard/payed attention to people saying he can't entertain.. i've never heard anything more than the usual "he can't wrestle" that people apply to 99% of big men.

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts

The thing about Warrior, is that he was very careless within the ring, watching that match with Rick Rude, it's Rude who carries the match, all of his previous colleagues all comment Rude on working with Warrior for so long because he was so hard to work with, according to many of the other talents, his promo's were absolute nonsense (though some do find them entertaining) and he was more about running around like a careless loony than he was wrestling skill and precision, he's not really overly respected as being a great safe worker, he just had this larger than life image that stood out massively, so that's pretty much why he's not overly respected by many of the talents, he got a huge push on little talent basically and then he became very demanding (Do you know the story about when him and Hogan were teaming up at Summerslam, he apparently asked for more money than what he was given and they weren't even sure he was going to turn up on the night, he did the show, got his ridiculous money and was then fired afterwards), it's all little things like this really.

That said, he did put on a GREAT match too with Savage at Wrestlemania 7, he has been involved in many great matches also, so he does deserve some credit, but I think on a whole that's pretty much what it is, plus alongside the fact that a lot of people feel that Warrior has a bit of an ego going on with himself towards the other talents, he refuses to sign with them at appearances and things like that, so there is a few reasons really I think why people feel as they do in regards to Warrior.

Check out this video clip here from a UK legends meet and greet, Warrior was at the same meet and greet but refused to be in the same room as the talent and wouldn't participate in the fan Q&A that people had bought in regards to the package that day, a lot of his former peers don't really have many nice things to say about him ... why that is, I'm not sure exactly but yeah.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts

I think it's his personal life that people have a problem with.Though as a wrestling fan,it should mean nothing to us.

I have watched some of his matches and I found them to be entertaining.He had unbelievable charisma

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Id tolerate Warrior over Goldberg anyday.
Better gimmick, more charisma, and more entertaining on the Mic.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts

He must be one of the most polarising figures in wrestling history. Some people think he was the shit, some people think he's just shit.

I loved him as a kid and still do enjoy watching him back, because he was just 80s/90s cartoon greatness really. A lot of people on here are into their technical, mat-based wrestling and Warrior couldn't really do that. But who gives a shit, he was 100% character and did the entertainment half of 'sports entertainment' brilliantly. Intensity, vibrancy, colour, wild, loud, memorable (particularly with his unique 'cosmic' promos) - he left a hell of a lasting impression and you can't deny that.

My only problem with him has nothing to do with his ability (or lack of it), but his apparent lack of professionalism - and I can accept why fans of today and wrestlers in general might not have a lot of respect for him as an individual. But fuck it, maybe sentimentality gets the better of me as I'll always look back on him fondly.

His matches at Wrestlemania 6 and 7 are still two of my favourite ever. Unashamed Warrior fan.

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts

WWE and some former coworkers paint him like this-

Warrior was an unsocial person who didn't appreciate the other wrestlers. He knew little about wrestling history. He loved money, fame, and bodybuilding, but not wrestling itself. Others worked hard to have passable matches with him, but he didn't appreciate it. And he could be reckless and unsafe in the ring.

That's their side of the story.

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts

The vibe he has is pretty much explained in the video I linked above with Tatanka etc.. talking about him not being there with them, when he was supposed booked on the same show as them.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

Warrior's gimmick was fine. He had a ton of charisma. The look obviously.

He had some good matches (Savage and Rude) but had to be carried in those.

I tolerate Warrior as well over guys like Hogan, Goldberg, etc. But my biggest problem with Warrior is the fact he disrespects the business so much. Dude, it's the only reason you are famous.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,263 Posts

As others have said the locker room hate was professional, and personal, he was a tool, and that's a collaborated tale from all corners of the business.

As far as fans.

Look I don't want to offend any of you guys, but the fact is that many of us including myself are forever fans of the guys we grew up watching. But today we HATE guys like Cena and others for the same reason fans hated Warrior and Hogan during their primes.

If the internet had exsisted in 1985 to the extent it does now, I can assure you it would have changed wrestling sooner than it did. Hogan and Warrior were routinley bashed in the dirt sheets and in circles of fans who were just becoming known as smarks.

This "smart" culture exsisted before the internet, but the internet brought allot of fans together. These fans either 1. Grew up loving Warrior 2. Hated him because his limited ring skills and constant wins. So if you are wondering why some people hate Warrior, it's allot of the same reasons people cannot stand Cena.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

I don't think Warrior was ever pinned clean in WWF. Anyone?

·
Likes wrestling....
8,263 Posts

I don't think Warrior was ever pinned clean in WWF. Anyone?
By my definition yes. Slaughter (I have heard people say Randy Savage hit him with a rod, but for some reason I always black out when that happens and wake up to Slaughter holding the belt.)

·
Registered
339 Posts

It puzzles me why watching an Ultimate Warrior promo on youtube it seems totally bizarre/awkward/mental yet when i listened to the Warrior during that era it all made perfect sense. :hmm:

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

Warrior is a smart dude. His promos were borderline insane but when you listen to it and break some of the things he said it made sense. I thought his promos were great. I loved the dude until he "retired" my boy. I got over it when Savage came back though.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts

I hated Warrior (and Hogan) as a kid. It had nothing to do with his (lack of) talent in the ring, rambling, incoherent promos, or his notoriously bad backstage attitude. I didn't give a crap about good matches or ring ability or wrestling politics until 1995 at the earliest (but probably more like 1998). My Warrior hatred stemmed from the fact that I was a heel fan and Warrior won 99.9% of the time. It was boring. Good guys who win all the time have always been my least favorite characters. I just find it boring.

But I have grown more tolerant in my old age. Now I see a certain charm in Warrior. Not saying I'm a fan or anything, and nothing will ever totally erase my young Warrior hatred, but I'm more tolerant of him now than I used to be.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some ppl claim he wasnt that great But he didnt botch anything in that Match and charisma was off the charts im glad It seems he and goldberg back on ok Terms with WWE. Both of them were imho entertaining and didnt botch too much

·
Likes wrestling....
8,263 Posts

I hated Warrior (and Hogan) as a kid. It had nothing to do with his (lack of) talent in the ring, rambling, incoherent promos, or his notoriously bad backstage attitude. I didn't give a crap about good matches or ring ability or wrestling politics until 1995 at the earliest (but probably more like 1998). My Warrior hatred stemmed from the fact that I was a heel fan and Warrior won 99.9% of the time. It was boring. Good guys who win all the time have always been my least favorite characters. I just find it boring.

But I have grown more tolerant in my old age. Now I see a certain charm in Warrior. Not saying I'm a fan or anything, and nothing will ever totally erase my young Warrior hatred, but I'm more tolerant of him now than I used to be.
Exactly why most of us hated him back in the day.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

I think I subconsciously as a kid I didn't like the faces that won all the time either. I got so much shit as a kid for hating Hogan from like 1989 on. From Savage turning on him on I couldn't stand him.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts

I loved the Warrior then and still do to this day. His energy brought something to the table that was pretty unique at the time and there aren't a whole lot of matches that I hold as dear as I do Warrior/Savage. Great point about the internet and it's effect on the business. I didn't know anything about him being who he was backstage, all I knew was that he was fun to watch. I love his promos. I don't care if they make no sense, all I care about is his delivery and you kind of had to be a kid to enjoy them. I can see why people that were not there can go back and say how bad they suck, but I was a kid hearing them and loved them

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

there aren't a whole lot of matches that I hold as dear as I do Warrior/Savage.
Seriously gets better and better everything I watch it.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts