Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Stomping Scrawny Vanilla Midgetesses
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people give Roode's TakeOver matches crud because his moveset consists of more baseline moves rather than original signatures or finishers. So what, his psychology is AMAZING.

I love how in his big TakeOver matches, the opponent ends up working his arm, then he can't hit his Glorious DDT or sometimes he hits it but it hurts and he can't go straight for the pin. Same thing, he ends up hurting his opponents leg and they go through the same problem. It ends up being a battle of who can overcome their pain more. Roode even got Nakamura to sell in this manner which is my least favorite aspect of Nakamura, is his selective selling.

Instead of false finish kickouts, we get actual cunning logic, such as Roode rolling out of the ring for the GTS, while Hideo Itami's leg was hurt (which was being sold even from a SLIGHT stair bump of him dropkicking the stairs). Also out of fear of Itami surviving ONE Glorious DDT that he can't pin in time, he did TWO of them, back to back, so he'd be to pin him, regardless of how long it took to pin!

The continuity in his matches is absolutely stunning, I love how seemingly every strike and action still plays into the final outcome.

It's great stuff, old school fashion heel mechanics. Some of the complaints he gets remind me of what people try to say about The Revival, but the truth is, this guy tries his damn hardest to get all faces he wrestles over, even in the match. Even with Hideo, the crowd slowly shifted towards Hideo at the end, because Roode was able to tell that story. To heck with the haters, he's got some of the best mic chops in WWE, he wrestles like a class act and he's a convincing heel. He's also another guy that does a figure four pretty well like The Miz and Queen Charlotte which is extra bonus points for me.

He's

G
L
O
R
I
O
U
S

·
WF's Resident One Piece mark
1,251 Posts
You say lost art. I say boring and uneventful. To each their own I suppose. I do like the extreme in-ring psychology each of his matches have, but my main gripe is how slow they start out and how slow the rest of the match is until the finish. Be honest with me real quick, when was the last time a Roode match has received "This is Awesome" chants? Even the crowd is dead for most of his matches until the final stretch, so yeah, while the reasons you listed makes his matches "gripping", they also make them a chore to sit through.

His matches with Nakamura are amongst the most overhyped and overrated outings in both mans career.

·
Stomping Scrawny Vanilla Midgetesses
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You say lost art. I say boring and uneventful. To each their own I suppose. I do like the extreme in-ring psychology each of his matches have, but my main gripe is how slow they start out and how slow the rest of the match is until the finish. Be honest with me real quick, when was the last time a Roode match has received "This is Awesome" chants? Even the crowd is dead for most of his matches until the final stretch, so yeah, while the reasons you listed makes his matches "gripping", they also make them a chore to sit through.

His matches with Nakamura are amongst the most overhyped and overrated outings in both mans career.
Both of Roodes matches with Nakamura and his match with Chris Hero (which was his most recent that fits your description) got them. I may have to rewatch for Itami vs. Roode to factcheck it. Don't act like he's Randy Orton, his psychology invests people to chant that when the injury prevents a pinfall from being successful JUST barely. So he's not incapable of getting the crowd into it like that. :ayoade

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
I don't know, he's a good wrestler but he's like Randy Orton, he'll start slow but he won't pick it up until the last 5 minutes. I appreciate what he's trying to do and I get that he's trying to tell a story but it just isn't for me, he's not someone who for me can have a definite MOTYC.

·
Banned
6,709 Posts
Jesus. Bobby Roode is nothing like Orton. What has the world come to? Roode is far better and I mean far better. Orton couldn't sell himself to himself. I have watched more exciting thunderstorms than Randy Orton on his best day in the last decade. Roode has "it". The "swagger" is there and he is old school. Just stop the comparison.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I agree with you thread starter.
Roode won me over and he has an absolutely amazing ability in the ring to tell a story and get the face over.

He is flair-escque. I'm not here to sidetrack your thread about the glorious one, but what about this booking idea:
What if they had Bobby Roode Stay in NXT until the Royal Rumble. Have him and his wonderful entrance be combatant #2 . Now, the fans/everybody would expect him to last for some time, but be eliminated, but slowly and surely he ends up winning the Rumble.
Now, for a few weeks after the Rumble, he gives cocky interviews and promos proclaiming how Glorious he is and we have the added curiosity of just which champion he will decide to face at Wrestlemania.
Meanwhile, Styles becomes Champion over say Randy Orton at the Rumble.
Ultimately, Roode decides to take on Styles at WM for the championship and they go on to have a great WM match (victor can be either one, preferrably Roode due to the Rumble storyline).

Reactions: Showstopper

·
Registered
334 Posts
He's very, very good at that more old school, NWA-champ style of match.

And I love it, because it's another style of match to have; if all the matches were like Bate ve Dunne, then NONE of the matches stand out. Not saying they could all have an incredible match like that, but the point stands.

I mean, once you get into the main roster with the "ADD, instant-gratification, can't follow that type storytelling" mindset of the crowd, it might be an issue. But for now, Roode is great for that type of wrestling match.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Im not a huge Roode fan, but he is very good at what he does in the ring. He carried Nakamura in those matches when Nakamura was being lazy.

·
Banned
2,548 Posts
I don't know, he's a good wrestler but he's like Randy Orton, he'll start slow but he won't pick it up until the last 5 minutes. I appreciate what he's trying to do and I get that he's trying to tell a story but it just isn't for me, he's not someone who for me can have a definite MOTYC.
This is fair. I like Roode, and think he's a good worker. Not great, but good. I can also understand that his style doesn't suit all tastes.

·
This Post Is Rated R
2,754 Posts
Nah he's legit boring, dudes gimmick, promos, look and entrance are all top notch but I lose interest in him as soon as his music stops and the match begins.

·
Baby It's Violence
7,190 Posts

Keep in mind that even some shitty Raw matches with a couple of good near falls got the "This is Awesome" treatment. It's doesn't mean much to go by this anymore because it's used in so many matches that don't deserve it.

But it's really up to one's taste. I really liked his first PPV match with Nakamura, and I really liked last night with Itami. I find his style more psychological and methodical, but I find it good because it's a different style that contrasts with what we see in a lot of other WWE matches, and he's never going to be a fast paced, movez sort of dude. But what he does fits him well, and he's very good at it.

·
Banned
5,081 Posts
I appreciated his match with Hideo a LOT more than his last match with Nak I'll say that much. Maybe because there was less time he came off more interesting.

You can be his style of performer and still be interesting.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts