Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Full disclosure: I never watched WCW. I watched WWE in 1992-1994, then didn't come back to wrestling until 1999, and then it was all WWE again. Beyond a few matches on YouTube and the WCW footage featured in WWE programming, I've not seen much of WCW.

I have, however, seen a few Sting matches from early 90s and then again from the Monday Night Wars, and the guy could go from what I could tell.

But this isn't 1999. This is 2011. I've been watching TNA sporadically for the last few years, and every outing I've seen from Sting has been mediocre at best. The man is in his early 50s; that doesn't mean he can't pull off one good match, but even working TNA's light, virtually travel-free schedule, when he did wrestle he looked...worn out.

Undertaker's injury problems are well-documented, so we needn't go down that same old road again. All signals point to Undertaker barely being able to participate in WrestleMania, let alone do so in tip-top condition.

I think people are buying into the IDEA of a Sting/Undertaker match without considering what the actual match itself will look like. It reminds me of the Bret Hart/Vince McMahon match from last year. Sure, Sting and Undertaker in 2011 are still worlds better than Hart and McMahon in 2010, but the comparison is apt: the IDEA of the match was so appealing that people didn't stop and think of the train wreck the match itself might become. Is there any reason to think that Sting and Undertaker, considering age and injury problems, could put on a match that comes even close to the hype that would surround it? Or are we to believe that, like Hulk Hogan v. The Rock, the buildup, the aura, and the moment will render the actual quality of the match irrelevant?

Honestly, am I the only one out there that isn't falling over at the thought of this?

·
Banned
18,555 Posts
Well, heading into WM 25, there were actually some people doubting Michaels / Undertaker because of their age and previous injuries, but of course they were proved wrong when it turned out to be one of the greatest matches in Wrestlemania history.

I'm not saying Sting is Shawn Michaels, but a match with Undertaker would easily smoke anything he's done in the past few years with TNA. Honestly, I thought his last good match was against AJ Styles at Bound For Glory, but that was back in 2008.

I'm looking forward to Sting Vs. Undertaker if it happens, but I'd be more excited to see Sting Vs. Triple H or Sting Vs. Shawn Michaels if Sting could talk HBK to come out of retirement for one night.

- Vic

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please understand, I'm not trying to be cynical or negative in the least. I understand that there are MANY people that will be excited for this, and they have every right to be, particularly if they were ever fans of WCW in general or Sting in particular.

Also, Vic, you make a good point about Shawn Michaels, but Sting in 2011 is no Shawn Michaels. I think we can both agree on that.

·
WEF's #1 Oz Mark
11,119 Posts
I would rather see Barrett/Taker than Sting/Taker...

Reactions: peowulf

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I'm actually going with OP on this one, the match most likely would be pretty mediocre. It's like Vic said Sting's last good match was against AJ @ BFG08 and with all due respect the Taker, he couldn't pull of what Styles could.

The build up to the match is what people are excited about I would imagine, not the actual match itself.

·
Registered
9,162 Posts
Barrett vs Taker is anti climactic becuase theres no way Barrett would win.

If Sting/Taker gets anything resembling the WM 18 Hogan/Rock crowd, the match should be pretty amazing. If you go back and watch Hogan/Rock the match is sloppy as hell but that's completely overshadowed by the raucous crowd. Also remember that Hogan's match with Rock was his best match in years.

I think Sting and Taker will be incredibly motivated and pumped up. I'm not expecting a classic but I expect a pretty good match overall.

·
Premium Member
16,993 Posts
I have almost no interest in seeing it. Sting has been broken down for a loooooong time and Taker has been broken down for the past few years, he's just been able to perform when it matters, but who knows if even he'll be able to salvage a match with Sting.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I'm torn on this topic. Sting was my favourite when I was a little kid watching WCW, but nowadays I don't know. He is superb on the mic, but too worn out physically, obviously age is a huge factor for that. What I don't expect is a good match, I mean you can't go from AJ to Taker and expect it to work just as well.

So to me, it really only comes down to how WWE will play out this feud and how over Sting can get in the E.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
If people would remember the actual Rock-Hogan match from Mania the in ring content was not all that great.

Rock had been off for about a month to sell his injuries from that nWo ambulance crushing attack and it was Hogan's first real match back. Both guys were a little rusty that match was more or less all about crowd reaction.

It was the crowd that made that match and given the right build and the right crowd an Undertaker-Sting match could have the same magnitude and atmosphere.

·
Registered
984 Posts
If you never watched WCW during 96-99, or wrestling in general, you wouldn't understand. You pretty much missed the game changer for professional wrestling as we know it. Everyone who did is the reason for the hype you don't fully understand.

·
Registered
22,784 Posts
I'm in no way a Sting fan, so I'm not exactly excited about it ever happening. Sting can't go, and tbh hasn't been able to go in WELL over a decade, and when he COULD go he was mediocre. As for Undertaker, he CAN go better than almost everyone in the company, but only once a year now it seems. BUT, given the fact he keeps getting injured, and he's getting on a bit now, I'm not sure how well he could go even at WM this year. So I doubt even Undertaker could carry Sting to a make worth watching.

Still, the atmosphere and the hype would probably be cool, and I'd rather see it happen over Barrett Vs Undertaker since Barrett isn't that good either, and their match would have zero hype and atmosphere probably because nobody cares about Barrett.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Full disclosure: I never watched WCW. I watched WWE in 1992-1994, then didn't come back to wrestling until 1999, and then it was all WWE again. Beyond a few matches on YouTube and the WCW footage featured in WWE programming, I've not seen much of WCW.

I have, however, seen a few Sting matches from early 90s and then again from the Monday Night Wars, and the guy could go from what I could tell.

But this isn't 1999. This is 2011. I've been watching TNA sporadically for the last few years, and every outing I've seen from Sting has been mediocre at best. The man is in his early 50s; that doesn't mean he can't pull off one good match, but even working TNA's light, virtually travel-free schedule, when he did wrestle he looked...worn out.

Undertaker's injury problems are well-documented, so we needn't go down that same old road again. All signals point to Undertaker barely being able to participate in WrestleMania, let alone do so in tip-top condition.

I think people are buying into the IDEA of a Sting/Undertaker match without considering what the actual match itself will look like. It reminds me of the Bret Hart/Vince McMahon match from last year. Sure, Sting and Undertaker in 2011 are still worlds better than Hart and McMahon in 2010, but the comparison is apt: the IDEA of the match was so appealing that people didn't stop and think of the train wreck the match itself might become. Is there any reason to think that Sting and Undertaker, considering age and injury problems, could put on a match that comes even close to the hype that would surround it? Or are we to believe that, like Hulk Hogan v. The Rock, the buildup, the aura, and the moment will render the actual quality of the match irrelevant?

Honestly, am I the only one out there that isn't falling over at the thought of this?
Undertaker could still put up great matches. Look at last years' Mania.

Also I think both Sting and Taker are in better shape than Hogan when he wrestled Rock, and Flair when he Wrestled Michaels.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Sting was the Man back then...that's the time i started watching, i don't remember much but let me tell you i remember Sting, and it isn't really about the Match Quality it's about the Crowd it will be Atlanta, Georgia no doubt the Crowd will go apeshit and that's what it's all about.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'm not excited for a Sting/Undertaker match.
- Both men are not in good shape, however Sting would be in much better shape than the Undertaker and could pull off a great match.
- With Sting being in better shape than the Undertaker, it would be a shame to see Sting lose to the Undertaker just to keep a silly streak going. Sting should be the only man to end Undertaker's streak at WM.
- Vince has a terrible habbit of destroying things that are not his creation. Sting is a WCW wrestler who has gained popularity by NOT wrestling in WWE. Vince McMahon will not honour him, but will end his career.

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
Nah you're not the only one but you're DEFINITELY in the minority.
Yeah, I mean this is a match up for the ages...one that we never thought would ever happen. Sting was the one guy WWE could never get...and if Vince somehow pulled this off for Wrestlemania...unbelievable. It is going to have a Rock/Hogan feel to it as they are two of the biggest, and most iconic stars to ever be made in professional wrestling. I would even argue to say that Undertaker and Sting are the top 2 gimmick wrestlers to ever be produced in WWE/F and WCW respectively.

No one is expecting a match that would be expected from a pair of 20 something year olds...but I am willing to bet that if Taker/Sting is going down at Wrestlemania...both men are going to pull out all the stops that they can. The fact that Taker is defending his 19-0 Streak against a man he has never faced, on his "home turf" in the old WCW terriorty of Atlanta...makes the match even bigger.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts