Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As with last year with Miz and Cena in the immediate aftermath of Summerslam, WWE is testing the waters and foreshadowing what it wants at Wrestlemania, probably for the WWE Championship, in my honest opinion. The way they've had Punk and Miz revolve around each other's respective orbits in the last several weeks--the one-on-one match with Miz's promo berating Punk, leading to R-Truth interfering and Awesome Truth beating down CM Punk to assist Kevin Nash in putting Punk down again, the following week's match in which R-Truth wrestled Punk, with Miz interfering and this last week, Miz quite blatantly knocked Punk again, saying he should change the "CM" in his name to "BS."

In my view, it's WWE making WWE aware of a symbiotic rivalry between Punk and The Miz, and giving the audience a long time to get used to it as a program leading into Wrestlemania in 2012. They did a lot of this with The Miz and Cena following Cena having Miz pulled out of Team WWE at Summerslam for Daniel Bryan, their match the next "week" on Raw (in truth it was a taped Raw following the Raw after Summerslam that night before their Asian tour, but anyway...), the way in which Cena questioned Miz's authority as Team Raw's Captain going into Bragging Rights, their match at that time, Miz saying in November, a week before becoming WWE Champion, that Cena would have to wait until Wrestlemania to get a shot at it him, etceteras.

I feel as though we are in the early stages of WWE pulling a similar strategy with The Miz and CM Punk for a marquee match at Wrestlemania XXVIII.

Personally, I think this is shortsighted and the match is a Wrestlemania too early. The match could be much bigger a year later at Wrestlemania XXIX after both men are fully, firmly established with no semblance of doubt about it whatsoever. Not to mention, I personally wish we would get Triple H vs. CM Punk at Wrestlemania XXVIII, but as each week passes, I become increasingly certain that this will not be the case. WWE will rush its current angle and make it conclude at some point around Survivor Series, or, perhaps, like Nexus/Cena, at TLC (bleah), and that will be that, I strongly suspect. Meanwhile, they are revealing before our very eyes what the Wrestlemania program will be, just as Miz/Cena was promoted during the heart of the Nexus angle roughly a year ago.

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
I would like to see it, they've put a lot of time into each guy and both are over, have world title reigns under them, it's the best match they can make on Raw that doesn't involve Cena for the title.

·
Recognize
21,503 Posts
Trips/Punk isn't happening that's for sure. They have fucked it up. I can't even sugarcoat it anymore. Unless they pull off some miracle Sunday and Monday, I don't see how they can get themselves out of this one. I like the idea of Miz/Punk but agreed that if they held off for a year when both guys were truly legitimized it would be so much bigger. I guess that leaves us with HHH/Taker again which is just fuck off tbh. As much as I truly enjoyed their last match, having them go at it again and having HHH lose again is just meh.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I must respectfully disagree, good sir.

At the moment, the only active heels on Raw are ADR, Ziggler, Otunga, McGillicutty, McIntyre, JTG, Swagger, Primo (?), and Truth. ADR is occupied with Cena, Ziggler with Swagger, Otungacutty with Lawler, and JTG/Drew/Primo are all small fries...and of course Nash is "fired" and HHH wrestling on free TV makes no sense. Yes, it's a "supershow," but the SD heels are similarly tied up in other things.

That really only leaves Truth and Miz, who are currently a package deal, to face Punk on a week-to-week basis. Does this mean that Punk/Miz won't happen at WrestleMania? Certainly not, but I believe you might be reading a bit too much into the events of recent weeks.

Personally, I believe that Miz is not a significant enough star to justify a match with Punk at this particular WrestleMania. Punk has surely cooled off since Money in the Bank, but I still believe WWE will make a significant investment in him at this show. Besides, Miz received a tremendous honor at last year's installment (closing the show as a heel champion, something only HHH himself had achieved), and it's tough for me to see two consecutive years of "big" matches for Miz at this juncture. I believe that Punk is (and will continue to be) hot enough that his WM match will be a huge deal (like Rock/Cena, to a significantly lesser degree), with or without a world title involved.

To me, this adds up to someone "bigger" than Miz for an opponent. I had penciled in Triple H, and while that prediction grows more dubious by the day, I'm sticking with it. By all rights, the trajectory of Triple H's character would suggest that he'd fight someone at this show, and if not Punk, then who? Cena and Rock are busy, we've seen HHH/Austin 232,540 times, and he's already faced Undertaker two years in a row. As improbable as it may seem based on recent booking, I'm staying with Triple H as my pick.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
I would love to see a feud between the top. The two top rising stars of the company. That said, I think it's too soon for a WM match between the two. Save it for either next year or in two years when they become even bigger than before.

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
It's VERY possible.

If you really think about it, unless WWE plans on having John Cena vs. The Rock @ WrestleMania XXVIII be a WWE Championship match (highly unlikely), then who else would you have in the title picture next April? You've got to have a heel vs. a face. Cena will be busy. Del Rio will have long since dropped the strap. That leaves us with CM Punk and The Miz, aka the current #2 face of Raw and the current #2 heel of Raw respectively.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Helghan Rising, as much as I'd prefer Punk/Triple H, I must admit that there's a big part of me that would like to see it, too. It's a Wrestlemania early to me, but... I could live with it. And I can't stress how much more fitting it would be as the WWE Championship match than The Rock vs. John Cena, which would be a terrible match to be for the WWE Championship.

Starbuck, ugh... No, no, no. No more Triple H vs. Undertaker. It would be so stupid on so many levels. Based on the storyline, Triple H learned the truth at Wrestlemania XXVII: No one defeats Undertaker at Wrestlemania. Moreover, Triple H is now COO of the company, his role in the entire network of the product is different from what it was a mere five months ago. Why go back to something from the past like that, which was about the gunslinger Triple H fighting The Last Outlaw? That was a fight based on respect and honor between two uber-legends. It would be as uncomfortable as burlap to see COO Triple H in that kind of dynamic now. He's fundamentally Taker's boss. The whole dynamic would be diluted, impure. Move on. Ha, but I know I'm preaching to the choir here.

Vin Ghostal, there's still an optimistic side in me that either wants to or even does believe that we are still going to very possibly get Triple H vs. CM Punk at Wrestlemania XXVIII. We can all agree that the build-up to NoC has been... ambiguous? Nebulous? Vague? Sometimes frustrating because nobody knows who's the face or who's the heel--they're both faces but historically Triple H is one of the less-likable babyfaces, even when he's riotously cheered and Punk's current face character is perhaps the least likable face character since the last Martin Scorsese film. A revamped program in which the battle lines and character connective tissue lines are more indelibly drawn and underlined would be a nearly entirely different affair. I hope, I pray, that WWE, Triple H and Punk all see this obvious truth. Please let there be a sage plan behind all of this. 'Course, I know in my gut that I'm cheering for a lost cause... But I'm going to hang on, tenaciously, to that optimistic strain. I want Punk/Miz, but how about for Wrestlemania XXIX, please? Bring Jericho back for Miz in the upper midcard for Wrestlemania. Miz going over Jericho and Punk going over Triple H would be huge (especially the latter) in further promoting, developing and legitimizing both guys on the road to the inevitable big match between the two of them... As Winning says, the longer the wait, the better the payoff, and while they shouldn't wait forever like they practically did with Cena vs. Batista, allowing Punk and Miz to further mature as main event stars before they officially cross each other's paths in an open conflagration of a genuine program, is the most prudent course.

Amsterdam, I tend to agree. I find it improbable that Alberto Del Rio will be WWE Champion heading into Wrestlemania, in any event. Based on buzz, his two likeliest opponents at Wrestlemania would be either Randy Orton or The Undertaker. I don't see either Punk or Miz entering a Wrestlemania program with Del Rio--he's still going to need a thoroughly established individual on the roster with whom he can feud in my opinion. That is what WWE would probably want, since Del Rio is still attempting to get over for a wide segment of fans (though I'm sure they're viewing his current feud with Cena as the biggest and probably surest way to get him on his way).

·
Registered
12,432 Posts
If they can't get Punk vs Austin, I would have no problems with Punk vs Miz. Would be an alright match in ring, and the promos leading up to it would be awesome!

·
Registered
412 Posts
If not Punk vs. Austin, maybe Punk vs. heel Daniel Bryan?

I don't know, Punk vs. Miz sounds like a first-hour Raw match.

·
THE ONE.
5,352 Posts
Completely agree with the idea of Punk V Miz being a Mania too soon, both have the potential to be legitimate stars, some may agree with me or not but I see a modern day Rock/Austin in that feud, Punk is ready for a match like that but Miz isn't.

I would have Punk face the WWE Champion and go over, Del Rio going all the way is a option, I would have preferred to have gotten the belt on Triple H and had Punk take it off him at Mania but I don't see that happening. theirs a lack of credible heel to take the title into Mania and only 2 options stand out and thats Miz or Del Rio.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I think Del Rio should keep the belt until WM if they can't get Stone Cold to wrestle, and have Punk win the Royal Rumble. It'll help Punk get over as a face, and help to get Del Rio some more heat if he's a heel champion for a long time, a bit like JBL's long reign in 2004.

Punk vs Miz could be a great match in a few years, when they're bigger names.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
It's certainly a possiblity. I have little doubt that Punk will be the babyface fighting for the title (probably as RR winner) at WM 28. The only question is against who? They could still salvage HHH vs. Punk, but I'm not sure they will. If not Hunter, then that leaves either Miz or Del Rio. Of those two, I think Punk Miz is more likely, especially if we get Del Rio vs. Punk sometime in the fall, which we very well might.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Maybe Wrestlemania will look something like this:

Main Event
John Cena vs. The Rock

The Streak
The Undertaker vs. Triple H

WWE Championship
CM Punk vs. The Miz (c)

World Championship
Randy Orton vs. Daniel Bryan (c)

Grudge Match
Rey Mysterio vs. Alberto Del Rio

·
Banned
13,706 Posts
i disagree. I feel like this HHH vs Punk fued will continue all the way to WM. Kevin Nash will cost punk the match at NOC. HHH turning heel in the process. Then at Hell in the cell we have Nash vs Punk. With Punk Winning. Over the nxt month or so we have heel HHH constantly screwing Punk out of title opportunities. At Survivor Series we get Team HHH vs Team Punk and if punks team win punks gets a title shot a TLC. At TLC Punk gets screwed again by HHH in some way. Then we have Royal Rumble were Punks wins it. Than nxt night on raw Punk says its no decision im going to face the wwe champion at WM. HHH gets so frustrated he comes out and says i am the only one that can put you down for good. So HHH enters himself in the WWE chamber match. Punk makes sure HHH wins the wwe title and at WM 28 its Punk vs HHH for the wwe title with punk winning.

·
Registered
930 Posts
When are there ever blowoff matches at WrestleMania, especially involving world titles? Matches at WrestleMania are almost always the first match in their respective feuds. So I've already categorically written off CM Punk vs. Triple H, which I too think should have happened at Mania.

Cena vs. The Rock is the draw so they don't have to worry about "starpower" in their world title matches, I don't think. I totally see the OP's case for Punk vs. Miz for the title and I think that's actually the most likely matchup. I've been seeing the hints too, and I've already thought, "Boy, I want to see Punk and Miz in a feud." Punk is the #2 face on Raw, and after him is what, Rey Mysterio? So I think Punk is a lock for the WWE Title match. And then that leaves a heel opponent, which is realistically down to Del Rio or Miz. They could play up Punk finally getting revenge on Del Rio for him taking the title from him at SummerSlam, but that comeuppance will come at Survivor Series, I think, so that would leave Punk vs. Miz at WrestleMania for the title.

·
Banned
13,706 Posts
When are there ever blowoff matches at WrestleMania, especially involving world titles? Matches at WrestleMania are almost always the first match in their respective feuds. So I've already categorically written off CM Punk vs. Triple H, which I too think should have happened at Mania.

Cena vs. The Rock is the draw so they don't have to worry about "starpower" in their world title matches, I don't think. I totally see the OP's case for Punk vs. Miz for the title and I think that's actually the most likely matchup. I've been seeing the hints too, and I've already thought, "Boy, I want to see Punk and Miz in a feud." Punk is the #2 face on Raw, and after him is what, Rey Mysterio? So I think Punk is a lock for the WWE Title match. And then that leaves a heel opponent, which is realistically down to Del Rio or Miz. They could play up Punk finally getting revenge on Del Rio for him taking the title from him at SummerSlam, but that comeuppance will come at Survivor Series, I think, so that would leave Punk vs. Miz at WrestleMania for the title.
CM Punk vs HHH will still happen at mania for the wwe title unless Punk faces Austin. This is a long term fued between Punk and HHH that will finish at Mania for the title. It has happen before in the past where blow off matches have happened Taker vs HBK ring a bell? This will be the first time where a long term fued ends with the world title on the line. Like i said in my storyline between NOC and RR HHH will turn heel and will constantly screw Punk out of title opertunites untill Punk wins the rumble. Than HHH will insert himself into the wwe chamber match and win it making it punk vs hhh wwe title. The final battle to end this fued. This fued gives Punk a rumble win and main event match and it gives HHH one more run with the title

1 - 18 of 18 Posts