Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I believe this is true for at least three reasons:

1. Sustained heat promotions (some call them just heat promotions) drive away fans. This is because fans eventually lose hope that the heel champion will lose. With little belief that a payoff will occur they leave.

2. Right now in WWE the heels appear to be the stronger competitors, but it is generally not a good idea to pit heel vs. heel because it generates less interest than face (being cheered) and heel (being booed). Having a face champion means these stronger heel wrestlers will be able to enter the main event scene.

3. Both Heel champions have run out higher level face competitors. Part timers faces are now being imported to make up the difference. (Edge is actually a heel, but they use him like a face because he gets cheers.)

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
yeha, but the only faces who would work as champs right now are edge and drew. No one else is on that level.
That’s because they didn’t build up a single guy during the pandemic outside of Reigns - who has already had God booking his entire career, and Lashley, who they made less interesting by needlessly breaking up the Hurt Business.

Just look at their “next up” guys: Big E, most recently lost a feud to Apollo. Riddle… has he defeated anyone of note? Lee fell off the face of the Earth for a year. Kross seems to have been stripped of basically his entire gimmick.

Cesaro and Rollins did the 50/50 route for 4 months. KO has just floated around for the last 3 years it seems like. Drew is probably going to have to turn heel because of bad booking and typical fickle fans. Demoted AJ and Sheamus to the midcard.

And all you have left are basically jobbers and part timers. Not to mention, it seems like they already killed The Fiend gimmick, released Strowman and Black, and haven’t done anything with Priest since Bad Bunny went back to his profession. And whatever the fuck is going on with Bryan?

·
The Babyface of WF
"What I've always wanted...A better world"
17,811 Posts
Building up new stars especially a Babyface has been a popular subject and I agree they have had chances but just seemingly want to leave it on cruise control you won't get Heels feuding with Heels being interesting for too long fans want someone to root for and against even Faces vs Faces generally defaults to one of them being the de facto Heel foil even if briefly.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Building up new stars especially a Babyface has been a popular subject and I agree they have had chances but just seemingly want to leave it on cruise control you won't get Heels feuding with Heels being interesting for too long fans want someone to root for and against even Faces vs Faces generally defaults to one of them being the de facto Heel foil even if briefly.
SCSA claims is up to the wrestlers to step up. Obviously Vince has to agree, but if the opportunity is there and nobody else is trying maybe the door will open?

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,376 Posts
For the last few years now, WWE has definitely been a heat promotion. Heels are much more likely to be champion than babyfaces and I think it is usually the case that all but very few championships are held by faces.

Just with RAW, Smackdown, NXT

Men's heavyweight: Roman Reigns, Bobby Lashley and Karrion Kross are all heels
Women's champs (Raquel Gonzalez as heel, Nikki ASH and Bianca Belair as faces)
intercontinental, U.S. and North American titles are all heels (Apollo Crews, Sheamus, Isaiah "Swerve" Scott)
I think all three tag titles for the men are heels but the women are faces

There's not a single male face champ I don't think. I guess you could say KUSHIDA as Cruiserweight?

Drew McIntyre's 7 month stint on RAW broken up for a month by Orton into him having another 3 month run is the longest singles babyface champ run on RAW in quite some time. The longest reigns have been very long, at least for the modern era, runs for a heel or a heel dropping it to a heel on RAW. 434 days for CM Punk, over 500 days for Brock Lesnar, stuff like that.

I guess WWE prefers to have the babyfaces chase it and the heels hold it.

Last thought: Roman Reigns went something like 7 years as a babyface singles wrestler and all his singles reigns combined aren't as long as this current heel run. Roman Reigns as a heel is about to go coast to coast with no end in sight! if he keeps it until next WrestleMania as many people, myself included, belive, he'll go from August 2020 to April 2022 as champ!

·
Registered
326 Posts
For the last few years now, WWE has definitely been a heat promotion. Heels are much more likely to be champion than babyfaces and I think it is usually the case that all but very few championships are held by faces.

Just with RAW, Smackdown, NXT

Men's heavyweight: Roman Reigns, Bobby Lashley and Karrion Kross are all heels
Women's champs (Raquel Gonzalez as heel, Nikki ASH and Bianca Belair as faces)
intercontinental, U.S. and North American titles are all heels (Apollo Crews, Sheamus, Isaiah "Swerve" Scott)
I think all three tag titles for the men are heels but the women are faces

There's not a single male face champ I don't think. I guess you could say KUSHIDA as Cruiserweight?

Drew McIntyre's 7 month stint on RAW broken up for a month by Orton into him having another 3 month run is the longest singles babyface champ run on RAW in quite some time. The longest reigns have been very long, at least for the modern era, runs for a heel or a heel dropping it to a heel on RAW. 434 days for CM Punk, over 500 days for Brock Lesnar, stuff like that.

I guess WWE prefers to have the babyfaces chase it and the heels hold it.

Last thought: Roman Reigns went something like 7 years as a babyface singles wrestler and all his singles reigns combined aren't as long as this current heel run. Roman Reigns as a heel is about to go coast to coast with no end in sight! if he keeps it until next WrestleMania as many people, myself included, belive, he'll go from August 2020 to April 2022 as champ!
Msk nxt tag champs def are faces but that's it and prob will lose soon

·
Registered
326 Posts
That's why they brought cena in hes the ultimate face and if they're smart have him work with s ok me guys either behind the scenes or even on scene cause they do need faces. I personally love the heels usually. Once becky is back shes prob the top face in the company. Balor will help cause hes a face but more of a tweener which I think make the best faces. Example stone cold, edge, ko, Bray, rock, Bautista, to name a few. Drew would be so much better if his promos were better and if he had more attitude. Not making friends or helping anyway instead he should be out for blood vengeance and glory. Not talking about lesnar still or about braveheart or the dumb sword.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
I believe this is true for at least three reasons:

1. Sustained heat promotions (some call them just heat promotions) drive away fans. This is because fans eventually lose hope that the heel champion will lose. With little belief that a payoff will occur they leave.

2. Right now in WWE the heels appear to be the stronger competitors, but it is generally not a good idea to pit heel vs. heel because it generates less interest than face (being cheered) and heel (being booed). Having a face champion means these stronger heel wrestlers will be able to enter the main event scene.

3. Both Heel champions have run out higher level face competitors. Part timers faces are now being imported to make up the difference. (Edge is actually a heel, but they use him like a face because he gets cheers.)
1) You’re right. It’s partially why the AWA collapsed, and fans losing hope with endless heel title reigns affected the JCP and WCW promotions. It’s biggest manifestation was the aftermath of the Fingerpoke of Doom; fans had already experienced over 1.5 years of a heel Hogan on top. Returning to another long tenure after the Goldberg reign proved too much

2) In principle, yes. But it’s harder to get your fanbase excited enough around any face wrestler to then build your promotion around them. They’ve lost the art of the delicate dance between pushing who they want and making it feel organic so that the audience does not reject it

3) This is largely true. Big E is probably the last viable babyface left who is ready to credibly defeat Roman on Smackdown. On Raw the situation is far worse. However I think that WWE is moving in the Riddle direction though, and I would not be surprised to see him as champion within the next year.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
This is largely true. Big E is probably the last viable babyface left who is ready to credibly defeat Roman on Smackdown. On Raw the situation is far worse. However I think that WWE is moving in the Riddle direction though, and I would not be surprised to see him as champion within the next year.
I mean no disrespect, but I can't possibly conceive how you see Big E as ready and credible to defeat Reigns.

I get it, he's talented, but the guy's only meaningful win as a singles competitor is Money in the Bank, which by tradition is the way they put the title on people who aren't "ready" to hold the title, or better yet, it's the way they shoehorn people into the title picture without a credible win streak.

I believe Big E might be the guy to dethrone Reigns, but personally it doesn't feel organic at all, it seems like a guy was losing to Apollo Crews and suddenly won MITB. They have time to change that, by the way, but as of now, I can't buy it.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
I mean no disrespect, but I can't possibly conceive how you see Big E as ready and credible to defeat Reigns.

I get it, he's talented, but the guy's only meaningful win as a singles competitor is Money in the Bank, which by tradition is the way they put the title on people who aren't "ready" to hold the title, or better yet, it's the way they shoehorn people into the title picture without a credible win streak.

I believe Big E might be the guy to dethrone Reigns, but personally it doesn't feel organic at all, it seems like a guy was losing to Apollo Crews and suddenly won MITB. They have time to change that, by the way, but as of now, I can't buy it.
No, not tomorrow, but with a proper build you can have him ready in a few months. He has a few interesting attributes:

1) He has “The Look”
2) He has strong charisma and can talk
3) He is a nine (!) year veteran, but at the same time has been in a tag team for most of that tenure and has thus not been overexposed with countless singles matches

Put them all together and you have the ingredients for a potential face champion.

Will that happen? No. Roman will remain champion for potentially the next year.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Big E is 5-2 against Apollo Crews in singles competition (all matches occured in 2021) and the last two matches against Crews were wins for Big E:

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Big E is 5-2 against Apollo Crews in singles competition (all matches occured in 2021) and the last two matches against Crews were wins for Big E:

I'm pretty sure you can understand the difference between being 5-2 against someone and being the one who lost the midcard title in favour of the other one before the feud was over, I'd hope.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts