Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
21,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

seems like Anything section is on a foodie kick, so we might as well keep it going.

there is a cool reddit thread called ‘i ate / i made’ that i want to get going here

basically post a pic of a meal and say ‘i ate XYZ at this and this restaurant’ or ‘I made ABC’ and if you want, share the recipe

have fun with it - you all know we have pics of our food anyway

i’ll start

i ate Jalapeno Poppers and Beef Tacos

got them at ‘Fat Cactus’ in Cape Town

definite 4/5

·
The Mister Abigail Experience
Rants Champion of the World
7,022 Posts
Oooohhh! Quick recipe share? Just the basics
Cheese & Onion Beer Bread for Australia Day

• 1 330ml/11.6fl oz can or bottle of beer (Flavour changes depending on beer)
  • 2 2/3 cups of self raising flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup chopped green onions
  • 1 cup grated cheese (nothing fancy, I used tasty cheese)

Step 1 - Preheat the oven to 190C/375F. Line a 9 inch loaf tin (or you can live life on the edge and just spray it with non stick oil spray but the cheese does stick a little). Place flour and salt in a large bowl and add the beer and stir until combined. It will start to look just like a regular bread dough. Add the green onions and cheese and stir to distribute. I find a silicon spatula helps with this mix.

Step 2 - Place the batter in the loaf tin and bake for 45-50 minutes. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then remove from tin, slice and serve warm with good butter. And a tip: to slice, turn this loaf upside down as the top is quite crusty, and start cutting from the bottom.

·
Registered
21,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheese & Onion Beer Bread for Australia Day

• 1 330ml/11.6fl oz can or bottle of beer (Flavour changes depending on beer)
  • 2 2/3 cups of self raising flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup chopped green onions
  • 1 cup grated cheese (nothing fancy, I used tasty cheese)

Step 1 - Preheat the oven to 190C/375F. Line a 9 inch loaf tin (or you can live life on the edge and just spray it with non stick oil spray but the cheese does stick a little). Place flour and salt in a large bowl and add the beer and stir until combined. It will start to look just like a regular bread dough. Add the green onions and cheese and stir to distribute. I find a silicon spatula helps with this mix.

Step 2 - Place the batter in the loaf tin and bake for 45-50 minutes. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then remove from tin, slice and serve warm with good butter. And a tip: to slice, turn this loaf upside down as the top is quite crusty, and start cutting from the bottom.
this actually sounds like it’ll work in my bread maker

what sort of beer do you Think works best? I would guess something like a pale ale?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Made and consumed for the first time in my life pumpkin pie. Years of seeing the yanks enjoy it on my tv made me want to try to and the pumpkins growing in my yard were just perfect for it today.

If I knew about this thread earlier I would've taken photos! Made a hell of a mess but we got there in the end. I used pre-made pastry because I CBF making it fresh for today.

Ingredients:

Pie filling:
Pumpkin Puree (475gm)
Condensed milk (390gm)
2 eggs and 1 yolk
Pinch of salt
To your liking : cinnamon, muscade, girofle, ginger

I recently got super into cooking, I make all kinds of dishes which the Frenchie's aren't familiar with. I'll share with you all as I go!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I made a strawberry pie today.

1 store bought graham cracker crust
4 cups strawberry halves
1 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch (add an extra teaspoon if you want the slices to hold together better.)
1 small box Jello brand strawberry gelatin mix (Jello sells small and big boxes of gelatin mix. Buy the small one.)

Put the strawberry halves in the graham cracker crust. Put aside.

In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, pour in the water, sugar and cornstarch. Mix until smooth. Keep stirring until it starts boiling. Keep stirring two minutes longer or until its much thicker. Remove from the heat. stir in gelatin mix.

Pour mixture over the strawberries. Refrigerate for several hours before serving.

·
Registered
21,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I made a strawberry pie today.

1 store bought graham cracker crust
4 cups strawberry halves
1 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch (add an extra teaspoon if you want the slices to hold together better.)
1 small box Jello brand strawberry gelatin mix (Jello sells small and big boxes of gelatin mix. Buy the small one.)

Put the strawberry halves in the graham cracker crust. Put aside.

In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, pour in the water, sugar and cornstarch. Mix until smooth. Keep stirring until it starts boiling. Keep stirring two minutes longer or until its much thicker. Remove from the heat. stir in gelatin mix.

Pour mixture over the strawberries. Refrigerate for several hours before serving.
dang… gonna need some photos of that if you have it

its strawberry season here, so i can definitely do this

serve with ice cream?

·
Listen. No really, LISTEN.
5,892 Posts
Excellent thread idea. We had something similar here before but it kind of went away.

I'm going to start cooking and baking more again. Also I intend to experiment more with my cooking, trying new dishes. Tonight for dinner I made a version of steak ragout with fettuccine noodles. No recipe, just winging it.

I used sirloin steak cut into less than 1/4 inch thick strips which I browned on the stovetop in avocado oil. While those rested I put thickly diced green and red bell peppers and onion in the same pan and let them get slightly soft. I then put the steak strips back into the pan and added red cooking wine and a can of crushed tomatoes. Simmer for a bit. Meanwhile I got the noodles done and drained and added those to the simmering ragout.

Plated and then topped with shredded parmesan cheese and crushed parmesan crisps.

Were I to have any regrets it would be that I used too many fettuccine noodles. Will definitely reduce that next time. Also I should serve garlic bread on the side. Otherwise I think it turned out great!

·
Registered
Worship My Excrement
4,316 Posts
Hey guys

seems like Anything section is on a foodie kick, so we might as well keep it going.

there is a cool reddit thread called ‘i ate / i made’ that i want to get going here

basically post a pic of a meal and say ‘i ate XYZ at this and this restaurant’ or ‘I made ABC’ and if you want, share the recipe

have fun with it - you all know we have pics of our food anyway

i’ll start

i ate Jalapeno Poppers and Beef Tacos

got them at ‘Fat Cactus’ in Cape Town

definite 4/5

View attachment 109826
Mexican Food in South Africa? As a native Angeleno and a lover of Mexican Food I'd give it a try. Looks interesting.

·
Registered
21,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Excellent thread idea. We had something similar here before but it kind of went away.

I'm going to start cooking and baking more again. Also I intend to experiment more with my cooking, trying new dishes. Tonight for dinner I made a version of steak ragout with fettuccine noodles. No recipe, just winging it.

I used sirloin steak cut into less than 1/4 inch thick strips which I browned on the stovetop in avocado oil. While those rested I put thickly diced green and red bell peppers and onion in the same pan and let them get slightly soft. I then put the steak strips back into the pan and added red cooking wine and a can of crushed tomatoes. Simmer for a bit. Meanwhile I got the noodles done and drained and added those to the simmering ragout.

Plated and then topped with shredded parmesan cheese and crushed parmesan crisps.

View attachment 110157

Were I to have any regrets it would be that I used too many fettuccine noodles. Will definitely reduce that next time. Also I should serve garlic bread on the side. Otherwise I think it turned out great!
wow - that looks great!

i’ve never used avo oil - is the smoke point not too low for steak? Or would you recommend it?

great dish!

ps) i dig the plates you used :D

·
5,892 Posts
wow - that looks great!

i’ve never used avo oil - is the smoke point not too low for steak? Or would you recommend it?

great dish!

ps) i dig the plates you used :D
High smoke point for avocado oil. One of the highest out there, in fact. I use it all the time now. Learned of the joy of it from my cooking sensai Sam The Cooking Guy. I ran out of olive oil long ago and never replaced it. Oh well.

I got the dinner plates at Bass Pro. The wife has decorated our house in what I could describe as rustic/log cabin chic. The plates match our style.

·
Registered
21,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
High smoke point for avocado oil. One of the highest out there, in fact. I use it all the time now. Learned of the joy of it from my cooking sensai Sam The Cooking Guy. I ran out of olive oil long ago and never replaced it. Oh well.

I got the dinner plates at Bass Pro. The wife has decorated our house in what I could describe as rustic/log cabin chic. The plates match our style.
i did not know about the high smoke point of avo oil - learn something new every day - thanks!

does it impart any flavour or aftertaste? Or largely neutral?

·
5,892 Posts
i did not know about the high smoke point of avo oil - learn something new every day - thanks!

does it impart any flavour or aftertaste? Or largely neutral?
Largely neutral. I haven't noticed any flavor, unlike with olive oil. My wife HATES avocados and she has never once complained since I started using it.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts