Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still not a fan of Drew but I have a ton of respect and admiration for the impossible role he's in right now. I didn't realize until this week just how depleted the roster is. WWE is literally operating with about 25% of their whole roster and that is fucking insane. NOW Becky Lynch AND possibly even Seth Rollins are both going to be out indefinitely as well. It's so fucked to think about. I'm not a fan at all of Drew as a champion in terms of the show but he's real life champion for having to carry this dead company right now through the most difficult time in wrestling history. Major respect to Drew McIntyre, hope he gets a massive payday when this is over.

2,084 Posts
In an interview with ESPN, current WWE Champion Drew McIntyre, when being asked about having that distinction in the midst of a pandemic, made clear how seriously he takes this role:

“I take it as a huge responsibility. I said leading up to WrestleMania, I believed this as I returned to WWE, there’s no situation that my journey of ups and downs has not prepared me for. I’m ready to put the company on my back and lead it forward into the future. Nobody could have predicted this situation but I stand by my statement and what I said before. I go with the flow, I adjust, and I’m just like WWE, I’m always trying to innovate and think outside the box. And right now, it’s my job as brand ambassador to put as many eyes on the WWE product as possible. Obviously I can’t physically go places to do this but social media is so big right now and WWE has a huge social media platform, over a billion followers around the world, and I’m constantly trying to do media as many days of the week as I possibly can, I’m harrassing them to John Cena levels, like I want to do absolutely everything every day just to even get one more person to check out the product.”
Potential FOTC right there.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,289 Posts
Whats he doing any differently than everyone else who is turning up to work?

I'd be impressed if he actually developed a personality and started conveying anything resembling human emotion in anything he does. Realistically most of the roster still turn up every week.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Terribly bland edge lord personality. Even in his documentary he has no personality so it's not just the booking. I'd respect him more if he was doing well in the role they gave him.

·
Southern Pride
3,237 Posts
Nah, Brock Lesnar should still be champion and we not see the WWE Championship for a few more months until Summer Slam season. (of course i'm being sarcastic)

Their is a flaw in everyone, y'all. Focus on the positives. Drew is doing well considering he became Champ during a time of no fans to feed off of.

·
The Babyface of WF
11,702 Posts
Not sure if genuine tbh.

But anyway people who complain about Drew lacking a personality need to wake up seriously should he really have an outlandish gimmick?

The guy is a former Jobber who scratched and clawed his way to make it back to WWE, Developed a sadistic streak along the way and finally after working his tail off won the coveted prize, To me he's fine as he is, No shits given Alpha Male who doesn't play around with a Moral complex like most Babyfaces.

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Operating with 25% of their roster? There'll be barely 25% of the Raw and Smackdown roster missing:

The vast majority of those have been available during the COVID era, and even if you were including NXT UK, how does a missing Eddie Dennis affect what Drew is doing?
Pretty sure he means top or upper mid

Since Wrestlemania (taped about 20th March) the following haven't worked a single match for WWE

Cena, Reigns, Lynch, Lesnar, Undertaker, Goldberg, Edge, Orton, Owens, Zayn

Styles missed 5 weeks after Wrestlemania only returning last week. Charlottes only appeared on Raw twice since Mania. Bray Wyatt has worked one match since Wrestlemania.

So pretty much everyone outside Braun and Drew that were in top matches or scheduled at Wrestlemania haven't wrestled since or appeared on Raw/SD very infrequently in the two months since Wrestlemania was taped.

WWE have basically had to create a brand new mainevent and upper midcard in a month, which is unprecedented

·
Registered
173 Posts
Drews the man. It's been years since they've had a babyface champion that carries themselves like the dude all while wading through their shit scripting and over-producing. He has weak opponents though, so it remains to be seen how he does with the Corbins and Jinders.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
8,028 Posts
Drew is doing OK considering the circumstances. What else is he supposed to do? He delivers WWE's shitty promo material pretty well and looks like a beast in the ring. He's not allowed to do much else. There's nothing that can change POV's on him until WWE decides to put him in a worthwhile storyline.

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Drew is doing OK considering the circumstances. What else is he supposed to do? He delivers WWE's shitty promo material pretty well and looks like a beast in the ring. He's not allowed to do much else. There's nothing that can change POV's on him until WWE decides to put him in a worthwhile storyline.
And then what?

Hoping next big storyline gets your guy over is like hoping you win jackpot in lottery. 990 out of a 1,000 the storyline doesn't get over at all, 9 times it does but wrestler isn't any more over after it (MJF after recent feud with Cody prime example) and then one time you get something like Punk contract ending or Batista turning on evolution. But that's two storylines in 15 years, two in 20 because no storyline in 2001-04 got anyone more over

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
8,028 Posts
And then what?

Hoping next big storyline gets your guy over is like hoping you win jackpot in lottery. 990 out of a 1,000 the storyline doesn't get over at all, 9 times it does but wrestler isn't any more over after it (MJF after recent feud with Cody prime example) and then one time you get something like Punk contract ending or Batista turning on evolution. But that's two storylines in 15 years, two in 20 because no storyline in 2001-04 got anyone more over
Well its always the storylines that get you over in wrestling. Saying 9/10 storylines don't get over is a huge stretch. 9/10 storylines DO get over in one way or the other. You may be confusing WWE's current creative as storyline work, but its actually not. They are just rehashing angles over and over and giving undeserving talent title shots for no reason. Those are not storylines. The only REAL storylines that WWE have had in like the last 3 months is the Otis/Sonya/Mandy story and the Lashley/Lana/Rusev story that both got over with fans. Now Otis is more over than ever and Sonya is a breakout star in the making. The same can happen for Drew.

Just being charismatic or good in the ring alone is not enough, you have to have a storyline and someone good to work with on the other end. Not saying he's gonna be some huge star on Batista level, but people wouldn't be so negative on him or any other talent in WWE if they were used to their full potential and if they had better creative to work with, because then fans would look at them in different lights depending on what the angle is trying to tell the viewer.

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Well its always the storylines that get you over in wrestling.
Absolutely not true. For 100 years between 1890 and 1988 it was wins and losses, strong booking and making titles feel the most important thing that got over. Business was built around individuals and stars whereas the past 30 years it's been built around storylines and making titles feel unimportant while wins and losses means nothing.

Saying 9/10 storylines don't get over is a huge stretch. 9/10 storylines DO get over in one way or the other. You may be confusing WWE's current creative as storyline work, but its actually not. They are just rehashing angles over and over and giving undeserving talent title shots for no reason. Those are not storylines. The only REAL storylines that WWE have had in like the last 3 months is the Otis/Sonya/Mandy story and the Lashley/Lana/Rusev story that both got over with fans. Now Otis is more over than ever and Sonya is a breakout star in the making. The same can happen for Drew.
you know what I meant. Get over where it creates buzz. Rusev/Lana/Lashley stuff got about a 10% increase for one week, nothing. Months of build for 200k extra viewers for one week. That's huge waste of time and effort. After wedding finished not one of the participants were more over than before the storyline started.

Otis was already getting big reactions in his matches pre Mandy rose storyline with live crowd. The dude can work and talk so obviously he doesn't need all the bells and whistles. Have him work Bryan, Reigns, Rollins. styles, Cena in mainevent matches on ppv for world title and watch his stock rise.

Just being charismatic or good in the ring alone is not enough, you have to have a storyline and someone good to work with on the other end. Not saying he's gonna be some huge star on Batista level, but people wouldn't be so negative on him or any other talent in WWE if they were used to their full potential and if they had better creative to work with, because then fans would look at them in different lights depending on what the angle is trying to tell the viewer.
People are negative on him for a few reasons
1. His push came out of nowhere. He was Shane's lackey in late 2019 then boom rumble winner, pinning Lesnar clean for title. The dude had never even mainevented a ppv one on one prior to Rumble win.
2. People view him as lower midcard act because he has been a decade in the lower midcard. If Benoit and Guerrero can't convince people they are maineventers in 2004 McIntyre has no chance.

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
I like Drew. I don't know why people are against Drew or Jinder as champions but Seth is an acceptable world champion?.... he's done a good job as champion so far.. i think he's a better face than heel.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Dude has been on fire since January. He's starting showing more charisma and personality, he's been putting on great matches ( vs Rollins at MITB is MOTY so far). Yet people complain...because he's started smiling??? Out of everything, they pick smiling? Smiling if anything just shows he's a lot more confident now and that exudes star power. Guy deserves it so much.

·
15,289 Posts
Nah, Brock Lesnar should still be champion and we not see the WWE Championship for a few more months until Summer Slam season. (of course i'm being sarcastic)

Their is a flaw in everyone, y'all. Focus on the positives. Drew is doing well considering he became Champ during a time of no fans to feed off of.
Well realistically how does there being no live fans change anything in that regard? His jobs even easier now; no house shows and he doesn't have to worry about connecting with the fans or being over. If he does something that would bomb normally, or if he's out there emulating a plank of wood there's no immediate resistance/disinterest to affect him.

Not sure if genuine tbh.

But anyway people who complain about Drew lacking a personality need to wake up seriously should he really have an outlandish gimmick?

The guy is a former Jobber who scratched and clawed his way to make it back to WWE, Developed a sadistic streak along the way and finally after working his tail off won the coveted prize, To me he's fine as he is, No shits given Alpha Male who doesn't play around with a Moral complex like most Babyfaces.
You dont need an outlandish gimmick to have / display a personality. Look at Alexa for example, nothing outlandish about her gimmick there but she displays more personality than Drew and the rest of the Main Eventers. Same thing goes for the likes of Miz, Joe, Rusev, Iiconics, Asuka, Sasha, etc No outlandish gimmicks but they all display personality.

The guys just bland as hell, he's just Scottish Reigns/Rollins. There's nothing there, nothing to him. He's literally just some guy with greasy hair and a beard, and thats it. And theres no excuse for that. He's a Veteran who still has no idea about so many of the basics of Pro Wrestling.

Everyone is handicapped by Vince and the WWE style / writing. But the likes of Rusev, Miz, Joe, etc rise above that and show that they have personality and can cut engaging promos with emotion. Theres no excuse for Drew not being able to the same, if he cant then its because he lacks talent in those areas. We as fans, as a group need to stop making excuses for why some guys are so boring when there are people who overcome WWE's writing and Vince's senility.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
I hope when they do their first live show with a crowd again he gets the biggest pop because he deserves it the way he's been carrying it all. And hopefully Vince remembers this too.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Well realistically how does there being no live fans change anything in that regard? His jobs even easier now; no house shows and he doesn't have to worry about connecting with the fans or being over. If he does something that would bomb normally, or if he's out there emulating a plank of wood there's no immediate resistance/disinterest to affect him.

You dont need an outlandish gimmick to have / display a personality. Look at Alexa for example, nothing outlandish about her gimmick there but she displays more personality than Drew and the rest of the Main Eventers. Same thing goes for the likes of Miz, Joe, Rusev, Iiconics, Asuka, Sasha, etc No outlandish gimmicks but they all display personality.

The guys just bland as hell, he's just Scottish Reigns/Rollins. There's nothing there, nothing to him. He's literally just some guy with greasy hair and a beard, and thats it. And theres no excuse for that. He's a Veteran who still has no idea about so many of the basics of Pro Wrestling.

Everyone is handicapped by Vince and the WWE style / writing. But the likes of Rusev, Miz, Joe, etc rise above that and show that they have personality and can cut engaging promos with emotion. Theres no excuse for Drew not being able to the same, if he cant then its because he lacks talent in those areas. We as fans, as a group need to stop making excuses for why some guys are so boring when there are people who overcome WWE's writing and Vince's senility.
I wouldnt put Mcintyre up there with Reigns and Rollins. Rollins and his nasal tone makes him sound more like a geek instead of a messiah. Reigns is just too laid back and boring to ever be given a mic, pretty horrendous most of the time. Mcintyre is overall better in the promo/appeal department.He did cut a solid promo on raw this week imo until it was ruined with a chuckle that didnt seem intentional.

·
15,289 Posts
I wouldnt put Mcintyre up there with Reigns and Rollins. Rollins and his nasal tone makes him sound more like a geek instead of a messiah. Reigns is just too laid back and boring to ever be given a mic, pretty horrendous most of the time. Mcintyre is overall better in the promo/appeal department.He did cut a solid promo on raw this week imo until it was ruined with a chuckle that didnt seem intentional.
He might be better, but thats not saying much. He's still a very poor, robotic promo that drones on monotonously.

·
Registered
607 Posts
He might be better, but thats not saying much. He's still a very poor, robotic promo that drones on monotonously.
The thing that stands out is his image. Thats the same for Reigns and Rollins (atleast when he first started with his blonde/black hairdoo)Imo, hes decent at promos but he literally laughed at himself last week on raw because he thought he was being a bit overly serious. It felt botched.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts