Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished watching the last episode of Ring of Honor Wrestling. Once again, more repeats...

I know Ring of Honor is supposed to be the anti-Sports Entertainment promotion. But to be devoid of it altogether?

there is nothing going on with that promotion except Steen and Richards. And that doesn't take up alot of time.

Sports Entertainment is a neccessity. You can make it realistic, you can aim it at adults, but you have to have some of it in there...

Otherwise it's just two dudes pretending to fight.

Ring of Honor might be worst than TNA and I don't say that lightly...

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
I stopped watching the tv at the end of last year but I still try to keep up with the IPPVs and dvds. The wrestling is still mostly good if you aren't exposed to it every week.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I stopped watching the tv at the end of last year but I still try to keep up with the IPPVs and dvds. The wrestling is still mostly good if you aren't exposed to it every week.
I could totally see that, my problem is with the television program itself. It feels like TV in the 80's, where they wanted you to go out to the arena, and the television show was a teaser.

It doesn't fell like other wrestling shows, where it's an important event. It just feels like an infomercial...

But Jesus, they did such a great job leading up to Final Battle? What happened?

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
The feed went out at the Internet ppv, so they trying to show good customer service and show highlights of the matches. Plus, it was great wrestling overall. Next week is back to regular schedule.

It doesn't fell like other wrestling shows, where it's an important event. It just feels like an infomercial...
???? Raw,Smackdown and Impact is not exactly setting the world on fire. ROH is different and not suppose to act like WWE or even TNA. I prefer the Du Burns arena over the Impact Zone.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,249 Posts
I watched the first episode and that's it. Haven't seen an ROH match since Final Battle and I'm OK with that. If you aren't enjoying it find something else to watch. There are a lot alternatives out there and one of them is bound to work for you if you like wrestling.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The feed went out at the Internet ppv, so they trying to show good customer service and show highlights of the matches. Plus, it was great wrestling overall. Next week is back to regular schedule.

???? Raw,Smackdown and Impact is not exactly setting the world on fire. ROH is different and not suppose to act like WWE or even TNA. I prefer the Du Burns arena over the Impact Zone.
The thing is, they didn't just let people watch the PPV for free, ( although, ring side members did get to, which I applaud.) they took up their TV show's time to show repeats. Most people know the results of Showdown already...

RAW and Smackdown isn't always great, although I think they've been amazing in 2012. The last two weeks have been kind of dull. But, this isn't about them, this is about Ring of Honor. When I'm watching ROH, I don't care about the other promotions...

ROH is just awful itself. I say they're worst than TNA as a point of referance, I'm not saying they should be like TNA.

I love the Du Burns arena and ROH's production, I think they're doing a great job...

And yes, they're not supposed to be WWE or TNA, but they're supposed to be a pro wrestling show. And they're not right now, it's just people pretending to fight.

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
Just finished watching the last episode of Ring of Honor Wrestling. Once again, more repeats...

I know Ring of Honor is supposed to be the anti-Sports Entertainment promotion. But to be devoid of it altogether?

there is nothing going on with that promotion except Steen and Richards. And that doesn't take up alot of time.

Sports Entertainment is a neccessity. You can make it realistic, you can aim it at adults, but you have to have some of it in there...

Otherwise it's just two dudes pretending to fight.

Ring of Honor might be worst than TNA and I don't say that lightly...
The repeating is definitely a problem and they definitely need to tape more regularly rather then 4 a night once a month or whatever the current schedule is.

You then contradict yourself though by saying its devoid of sports entertainment. First wrestling is sports entertainment and second you then point out later that they actually have a storyline going with Steen & Davey. THATS SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT.

I could totally see that, my problem is with the television program itself. It feels like TV in the 80's, where they wanted you to go out to the arena, and the television show was a teaser.

But Jesus, they did such a great job leading up to Final Battle? What happened?
Thats because ROH doesn't give away there PPV main events on a weekly basis like TNA does. The entire point of a TV Show in Wrestling is to build to live events and build to PPV so that people pay for it. Whos going to pay for a product that gives away the massive matches every week? Thats one of the reasons why TNA does so poorly in the PPV Buy rates.

The thing is, they didn't just let people watch the PPV for free, ( although, ring side members did get to, which I applaud.) they took up their TV show's time to show repeats. Most people know the results of Showdown already...

RAW and Smackdown isn't always great, although I think they've been amazing in 2012. The last two weeks have been kind of dull. But, this isn't about them, this is about Ring of Honor. When I'm watching ROH, I don't care about the other promotions...

ROH is just awful itself. I say they're worst than TNA as a point of referance, I'm not saying they should be like TNA.

I love the Du Burns arena and ROH's production, I think they're doing a great job...

And yes, they're not supposed to be WWE or TNA, but they're supposed to be a pro wrestling show. And they're not right now, it's just people pretending to fight.
While i do agree that the repeating of such things suck, there also trying to push the product to a non Internet base which is why there showing highlights and replays of matches.

And tbh if anything is to be criticised in ROH its the production. The consistent fucking up of camera angles and missing moves is pretty ridiculous.

·
Ramble On
11,108 Posts
The TV show has been pretty great this year in terms of showcasing the talent and building the angles for the iPPV's. It's the PPV's and house shows that have been shitty imo. SITS PPV's were good but nothing amazing like some people make them out to be. The TV show has been ROH's strong point for ages now.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
ROH Wrestling is by far the best and the most entertaining wrestling show on TV. Good/great matches, fun promos, etc. The "Inside ROH" stuff does a tremendous job in storytelling. ROH TV rules, IMO.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I completely missed ROH last week due to UFC. If UFC aired on Monday or a Thrusday I'd at least try to switch back and forth between them. But ROH was completely erased from my mind until I thought about it the next day. That's how bored I am with the company at the moment.

The first and only ippv I purchase from them were the two Atlanta shows from last year, they were pretty fun! However now a days I'm just not as big of a fan of ROH anymore. I still watch the tv show along with Raw and Impact. But...I don't know it's just hard to care about the matches. At the end of the day it always feels like 'just a bunch a guys wrestling'.

I mean yeah I like wrestling but there's a way to make it interesting too. BLARGH IT'S BORING! :cuss:

BUT! I will still find time to watch the tv show when I can. :snrub Which, up until last week has been almost every week.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yep. I'll say it again, even though no one cares nor agrees -- ROH on HDNet blows the SBC version out of the water. At least they ran angles and had some production values.

Hell, I'd take going back to just the DVD releases and videowires over this borefest any day of the week.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I don't think that the show itself is necessarily horrible; you get good, consistent wrestling for the most part with some promos thrown in to build towards iPPVs. I think that they're phasing out DVDs in favor of digital distribution so they don't mind showing stuff from older shows to entice viewers to either get the DVD or purchase the next iPPV (not to mention the whole GFL debacle).

My main issue with ROH these days is its presentation more than anything. Production is decent for their budget, but the aesthetics of the show are so lifeless and dull. A small HD Entrance setup would do wonders instead of a curtain, not to mention that mic'ing issues really kill the atmosphere of the TV Shows. I don't what they were doing then, but I didn't miss an episode of ROH on HDNet back in the day.

·
Registered
682 Posts
ROH by the years:

'02 = cool!
'03 = pretty good!
'04 = great!
'05 = great!
'06 = great!
'07 = good!
'08 = :confused:
'09 = :(
'10 = :cuss:
'11 = :no:
'12 = :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First of all, I'm not saying the wrestling isn't awesome. What I'm saying is, without all the other stuff, even a Davey Richards match is boring.

I'm not contradicting myself when I say that Steen and richards have a thing going on. I'm saying that Steen and Richards are the ONLY THING they have going on.

And while the point of the TV show is to sell the PPV! They're not doing that! At least not well.

Look at their big "PPV Caliber" fueds. Haas and Benjamin have been fueding with the briscoes for 6 months! Ciampa and Lethal is now in it's second PPV cycle. As is Storm and Bennett! That would be great if they did a PPV every month but they don't!

And in the meantime we don't have a great TV show to watch, we have TJ Perkins come out and job to a different guy every week. If it's not perkins it's someone else you know isn't going to win!

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
ROH tv show is the best weekly show on tv and that's including the lucha shows as well.

Great wrestling,good promos, wrestlers being built up properly,great feuds. It's the best out there.

·
Registered
557 Posts
ROH by the years:

'02 = cool!
'03 = pretty good!
'04 = great!
'05 = great!
'06 = great!
'07 = good!
'08 = :confused:
'09 = :(
'10 = :cuss:
'11 = :no:
'12 = :rolleyes:
I totally agree that '09 and '10 sucked balls if you only watched the DVDs. However, if you never had the chance to see ROH on HDNet (preferably in 1080p HD when it aired on HDNet), you're missing out. Also, the first iPPVs they ran were pretty great until it just became a monthly thing.

·
Masonic!
1,547 Posts
I hardly ever watch ROH TV, it's never been a good representation of what ROH is.

It's not sports entetainment, so TV structure doesn't really do much for it.

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
I totally agree that '09 and '10 sucked balls if you only watched the DVDs. However, if you never had the chance to see ROH on HDNet (preferably in 1080p HD when it aired on HDNet), you're missing out. Also, the first iPPVs they ran were pretty great until it just became a monthly thing.
I don't know HDNet had the same problem of dragging out feuds like the Jacobs/former AOTF memebers, Delirous/Aries and worst of all The Embassy/everyone else. HDNet did look alot better and had better top-level matches but they also had more bottom-level drek and those last episodes when they found out they weren't coming back they just gave up.

The SBG show is decent overall but nothing must see if I don't remember to download it when I see it. One thing they need to focus on is the disconnect between the tv and dvd shows. For example, if you just watched the dvd shows the ANX/Briscoes feud from last year was pretty good. Add in the tv and it became terrible.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts