Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been watching wrestling for over 15 years now, and after becoming disillusioned with the E during the introduction of the PG era and the whole Raw guest host thing, I turned to TNA. For a while it was good, very good...but Hogan came and everything started going downhill. At least for me.

So I thought I was done with wrestling for a while...but for the past few months (since the introduction of the Nexus angle) I've been watching again, starting to like it again more and more, and now I can say I'm a full-on fan again. I haven't looked at a wrestling forum for these few months, and maybe that has helped rid me of a lot of negativity (I see most people still aren't happy with the current product, not exactly a surprise), but the whole company is in a new light for me.

Randy Orton has become my favourite wrestler, matching up for me to the likes of Stone Cold and the Rock. The guy has it all - charisma, looks, intensity, a great finisher, and a classic champion's aura. Cena, who I absolutely could not stand before, and was one of the main reasons I stopped watching...I can say I actually like the guy now. Even his character. He is still a face, still aimed mostly for the kids...but they have stopped dumbing him down to extreme levels. Ironic that now he if "fired", bit at least now I will look forward to his return.

Nexus is the best wrestling stable since Evolution. Easily. These guys make almost every show exciting and unpredictable. Shame for Sheffield getting injured, he was one of the best, but they've carried on without him.

Other than that, there are a number of really great new(ish) wrestlers with a classic feel to them, like Shaemus, Dashing Cody Rhodes, Alberto De Rio, even the Miz. They have done the cashing-in-the-briefcase title win a number of times now, but last Raw still managed to utterly shock me. Not that I was happy with Orton losing the title, but the magnitude of the event could not be denied.

Oh and Michael Cole's heel turn is utterly hilarious and entertaining.

So, yeah. This is the happiest I've been watching wrestling since...I'm not sure - the Evolution years, or early 2000s for sure. So a big Thank you to the WWE from me, and perhaps a bit of an apology. I am sure this thread will receive a level of scorn or mocking, but I really will stay away from heavy participation on forums, as I feel it adds only negativity, and doesn't allow you to enjoy the simple things about the product.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
It's been a generally good year on the creative side, particularly for Raw, though. Blows away anything sans Jericho/Michaels in 2008 the Raw brand has dished out since... God, I'm not even sure. I really do think it's been Raw's best year since 2005. The flip from the crud of '09 has been dramatic for that brand. You make a lot of good points, thanks for contributing.

·
Banned
29 Posts
Yea 09 sucked but I look forward to a good and hopefully continually better Raw. Just shows what a little bit of creativity can achieve.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I think not only stopping following the net but taking time off from the wrestling is a good way to be a born again-fan. I stopped watching after WM 25, I took 1.5 years aside from WM 26 and only knew in general terms what was happening. I started watching the night after HIAC with the Cena/Nexus storyline and haven't missed anything since. Somehow everything seems more new and fresh.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Yeah there are often times when I watch something and enjoy it and come on to see almost everyone hated it, makes it seem like it really wasn't that good if everyone is hating it, so staying away from the forums, spoilers, internet and rumours really makes it alot better, I can't resist discussing shows after they are over though.

·
#RiseAbove
1,471 Posts
I am sure this thread will receive a level of scorn or mocking, but I really will stay away from heavy participation on forums, as I feel it adds only negativity, and doesn't allow you to enjoy the simple things about the product.
You sir, have found the reason why you should never take anything on forums too seriously.

Stay on too long and...yeah

Now, only if everyone else understood this.

I propose (once again) everyone watch RAW, Smackdown, Impact! - WHATEVER. without visiting the forums for one day.
I'm pretty sure everything changes for just about 80% of you. Excluding the people who are just naturally sour at everything.

EDIT - THIS IS AIMED AT THOSE WHO FEEL AFFECTED IN ANY CAPACITY BY THE IWC. SORRY IF MISUNDERSTOOD.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I watch the WWE and still visit this forum, i'm not easily influence by what other people do.

The IWC is'nt just one person with one opinion.

What i say here is what i'd be thinkin when i watched wrestling without visiting this forum.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
I think when a fan reaches a certain age they just start to complain a lot because well as they get older they have a better understanding of the business. They know that when someone such as MVP, is losing all the time it isn't because his opponents are that damn strong, it's because management sees nothing in or for him that's beneficial to the company.

No longer do fans look at their fave wrestlers losing and just keep on rooting for them, simply because they aren't 6 anymore. When a guy's on a losing streak like that, it spells trouble with a capital "T"

Another huge reason for all the negativity apart from the PG, is because all the people we grew up with are no longer there. Rock, Austin etc. But when the ones who we adored do come back such as Hogan we begin to shit on them. Damn you IWC!

Lastly, a lot of fans just like being smart asses and always think they could book a better show so they complain 24/7/

I've just decided to sit back, relax and enjoy the good shows WWE put on these days. I believe WWE midcard has gotten really strong these past few months and I just can't wait for KOTR. It's all about the midcard. The main event scene I must admit is pretty meh. Despite me hating the guy, I can see The Miz bringing a level of freshness to it.

·
#RiseAbove
1,471 Posts
I watch the WWE and still visit this forum, i'm not easily influence by what other people do.

The IWC is'nt just one person with one opinion.

What i say here is what i'd be thinkin when i watched wrestling without visiting this forum.
I'm the same as you. With or without, I have the same opinions. I do, however get my knowledge up on certain things included in wrestling (which I love) and I always enjoy others opinion whether I find them comical, serious or whatever.

I definitely should have worded it better. Something along of the lines of those who feel affected by the IWC in any capacity. Edit coming.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I'm the same as you. With or without, I have the same opinions. I do, however get my knowledge up on certain things included in wrestling (which I love) and I always enjoy others opinion whether I find them comical, serious or whatever.

I definitely should have worded it better. Something along of the lines of those who feel affected by the IWC in any capacity. Edit coming.
I was'nt replying to your post but i will say that i feel that people who talk about being sucked into the negativity of parts of the IWC are blaming the wrong people.

Blame the person who's easily influenced, not others.

·
#RiseAbove
1,471 Posts
I was'nt replying to your post but i will say that i feel that people who talk about being sucked into the negativity of parts of the IWC are blaming the wrong people.

Blame the person who's easily influenced, not others.
I agree, which is why I encouraged those people directly to watch without following.

I know you weren't replying to my post but it strangely felt like it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I think the dirtsheets and wrestling news sites have a bigger impact than forums like these

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
I'm a fan of mid card in WWE. It's been great lately. Main event scene sucks big ass.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I was away from wrestling for a few years also, and I started watching WWE again around Oct 2009. I think the current product is as good as it's ever been. I think it's because there isn't a lot of meaningless nonsense. There is some, to be sure, but compared to past years and some of the crap that caused me to stop watching in the first place, I feel like all in all, most everything that goes on seems to have a point. There is a sense of purpose in the overall product right now because they're trying really hard to get a whole new generation of stars over at the same time. I've been a pretty hardcore fan since 1996, and I can say that the only time I've ever enjoyed WWE more than I do now was probably around 1997-99.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
The melodramatic guys on here who are like 'NEVAR WATCHINS AGINNS!' after every Raw actually seem determined to dislike absolutely anything WWE gives them. If they just stopped wallowing in all the negativity and watch a show without an ounce of bias, they'd enjoy it a lot more than they're letting on they do. Things are nowhere near as bad as a lot of guys are making it out to be. 2010 has been a pretty good fucking year in my opinion.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah, 2010 has really been a good and solid year for the WWE, perhaps the best since 2007 (the same year I decided to stop watching). And that's actually without big stars like HBK, HHH, and Batista; Jericho and Taker never had a full-year appearance due to reasons we all know. Add to that the current youth movement, wherein guys that only made their debut within the last two or less years are now main-eventing or having a solid performance so far (Sheamus, Barrett, Del Rio, Danielson, Miz, etc).

Creative and booking-wise, this year has also been interesting as well. Taker, HHH, and Cena, for example, were once all-immaculate and untouchable, until now. Taker just lost to Kane three PPVs in a row, HHH was booked to be injured for a long time due to Sheamus (which really helped Sheamus a lot), and Cena, of all people, has become a bitch to Wade Barrett and the Nexus. Orton, who used to be an all-time heel, is now one of the biggest babyfaces, and while many people here might hate it, I think it's a good change of pace. Michael Cole is absolutely amazing as a heel commentator. Other superstars got a gimmick change and/or got a better chance to show more their personality.

Of course, the current product is not in any way perfect, and I think many of us know the reasons why. Just a short glance at the WWE threads will make you aware of the problems. But one thing I really don't get is why a lot of people here are NEVER SATISFIED. I guess that's how the IWC really is. The WWE is slowly improving once again after a horrendous three-year slump in overall quality, and many are still hating like there's no tomorrow; many others also vowed never to watch WWE again, only for me to find them bitching again in the official threads after the show and critiquing every detail (which means they watched).

So how can we enjoy the product again? Stop reading too much spoilers, stop acting like movie critics, and just try to enjoy the things you see much like the way you did when your saw it for the first time. It makes a really big difference.

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
9,856 Posts
I made a thread a while back asking if anyone would ever be willing to shun the internet and going back to being an actual wrestling fan. A TON of people read it, but hardly any replied -- probably because they knew I was right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts