Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
It was ridiculous without the performers sounding phony. Good character acting outside of guys like Shamrock and Blackman.

It’s so weird how my favorites were Bret and Malenko, yet I wasn’t big on workrate. Then when I got a little older and on the internet, I started prioritizing match quality (Dragon Gate, ROH, X-division).

But also, there weren’t many great promos during Ruthless Agression era. Everyone was long winded, taking after heel HHH. So without promos to keep me interested, I moved on to liking workrate.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
If you haven't seen it in its entirety you're in for a treat, especially 2000 above all else. The only truly amazing era of professional wrestling on TV late 1997 to mid 2002 outside of the women's division(though Chyna, Lita and Trish were awesome in their time and paved the way). It'll be hard to sit through anything before it or after it once you finish.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
The main event scene was excellent. The larger than life characters were awesome. Everyone seemed so big and confident. The tag division was on fire. Though Some of the mid/lower card was adolescent.

Make sure to watch the 83 weeks of WCW (June 96 - April 98). And don’t forget ECW, which the attitude era basically copied.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I've been watching WCW starting with the Nitro Scott Hall debuted. A lot of highs and lows in every show to be honest.

What continues to amaze me is the Cruiserweight Division, especially Rey Mysterio Jr. with guys like Dean Malenko and Eddie Guerrero. The insane stuff he does with them so fluidly without it looking overly choreographed. Compare that to modern day spot monkeys who telegraph everything, look obviously assisted and absolutely contrived.

The crowds don't quite have the same magic as peak WWF Attitude Era, but I'm not at that point in time yet, so we'll see.

·
Butter My Arse
13,119 Posts
If you haven't seen it in its entirety you're in for a treat, especially 2000 above all else. The only truly amazing era of professional wrestling on TV late 1997 to mid 2002 outside of the women's division(though Chyna, Lita and Trish were awesome in their time and paved the way). It'll be hard to sit through anything before it or after it once you finish.
Contrary to popular belief, September 1996 and onwards actually has some proper standout moments. Austin in particular from Nov 1996 was an absolute riot, his angle with Pillman being a highlight and the way he just bulldozed through to his home on THAT episode really opened my eyes as a thirteen year old. I thought the guy was a genuine mad man. Classic TV.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
The Attitude Era was a great time, but it's definitely something that needs to be left in the past. From a wrestling standpoint I think Ruthless Aggression Era has aged better, and from an entertainment standpoint I think the Golden Era aged better. Having said that, I still love the 97-00 years of the WWE. Seeing AEW trying to be edgy with all the cursing and middle fingers just looks so cringe now, and makes you appreciate how authentic Stone Cold was when he was doing it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
What continues to amaze me is the Cruiserweight Division, especially Rey Mysterio Jr. with guys like Dean Malenko and Eddie Guerrero. The insane stuff he does with them so fluidly without it looking overly choreographed. Compare that to modern day spot monkeys who telegraph everything, look obviously assisted and absolutely contrived.
Not just today. Even back then there was a big difference between Rey, Eddie and all the other mexicans. Mysterio and Guerrero were so fluid in their moves, made all their spots matter and pulled them off in a realistic fashion. Just compare it to the others WCW had back then like Super Calo, Lizmark Jr., Cyclope, El Dandy, Psychosis and even Juventud. They did a lot more choreographed spots, especially those "5 dudes stand around outside the ring like dummies, while the guy in the ring runs for a suicide plancha - and clearly gets caught by those outside" spot (i always hated that one, it's not spectacular, considering Undertaker does suicide dives over the top rope and it just looks fake as hell) or them just not being as fluid as Rey and usually taking way longer to sep up top rop moves or suicide dives, with the guy on the mat having to play dead for like 30 seconds or not so subtle move around to get "into place".

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Not just today. Even back then there was a big difference between Rey, Eddie and all the other mexicans. Mysterio and Guerrero were so fluid in their moves, made all their spots matter and pulled them off in a realistic fashion. Just compare it to the others WCW had back then like Super Calo, Lizmark Jr., Cyclope, El Dandy, Psychosis and even Juventud. They did a lot more choreographed spots, especially those "5 dudes stand around outside the ring like dummies, while the guy in the ring runs for a suicide plancha - and clearly gets caught by those outside" spot (i always hated that one, it's not spectacular, considering Undertaker does suicide dives over the top rope and it just looks fake as hell) or them just not being as fluid as Rey and usually taking way longer to sep up top rop moves or suicide dives, with the guy on the mat having to play dead for like 30 seconds or not so subtle move around to get "into place".
Juvi. Man every time he's on screen, I'm a nervous wreck, he was so damn reckless.

Also, who are you to doubt El Dandy?

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
The Attitude Era was an actual show with characters, and storylines. Very much like a soap opera. Starting in late 00 when Stephanie became head writer it changed to a formulaic structure of pre determined segments which are all the same where you can just swap one character with another, basically saying the same thing in the script with barely any difference. All interchangeable parts.

·
Registered
Not to be taken seriously
1,077 Posts
I would really go back to 21st October 1996 Raw when Bret announced he was returning from hiatus. This kicked off the legendary Hart Austin feud, then continue through to 97 which many believe was WWF's best year.
A huge +1 to this. You're missing a ton if you're not seeing Austin vs. Bret and all of NOD Rock.

Reactions: A PG Attitude

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
A huge +1 to this. You're missing a ton if you're not seeing Austin vs. Bret and all of NOD Rock.
Exactly. This segment is pure gold

It's also worth mentioning that 96/97 Bret is one of the best characters/promo guys of that era. Hart Foundation vs America is up there with Austin Mcmahon and Taker Kane as one of the best storylines they've done.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Not into the 80s cartoon comic book era personally. I'd rather watch today's product than the 80s or early 90s, which is saying a lot.
You do realize the 80s were the last decade of the territory system? The storylines and matches in promotions like Mid-South (UWF), JCP, Stampede, WCCW, and others were far more authentic than what was happening in the 90s.

Besides, to a certain extent, most pro wrestlers are cartoon-like characters. How was the Attitude Era less cartoonist than 1985-88 WWE Rock N Wrestling? BTW early 90s were not the 80s. You may prefer 2022 wrestling to the 80s, but far more people were watching pro wrestling in the 80s than at any given time in the last century.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
You do realize the 80s were the last decade of the territory system? The storylines and matches in promotions like Mid-South (UWF), JCP, Stampede, WCCW, and others were far more authentic than what was happening in the 90s.

Besides, to a certain extent, most pro wrestlers are cartoon-like characters. How was the Attitude Era less cartoonist than 1985-88 WWE Rock N Wrestling? BTW early 90s were not the 80s. You may prefer 2022 wrestling to the 80s, but far more people were watching pro wrestling in the 80s than at any given time in the last century.
I'm aware of the territory system and familiar with the 80s wrestling. Hulk Hogan was the biggest name of that era and is a cartoon character, there wasn't anything about Hogan that felt relatable to real life in any way until he became Hollywood Hogan in the 90s. Hollywood Hogan wasn't great either but didn't feel like a kids cartoon comic book persona like Hulk did. Majority of the 80s characters and early 90s felt this way. The most relatable character of the Attitude Era Stone Cold Steve Austin was the guy that everyone could relate to rebelling against authority, their employer, society, etc.

2022 wrestling is really bad, its the worst its been since pre-Attitude Era, that was my point. Attitude Era is the most popular and most viewed era of professional wrestling, its the centerpiece of the business and the pinnacle as everything was downhill with the Ruthless Aggression era. Yeah, womens wrestling was at its best between 2015-2020, but mens wrestling is 97-02.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts