Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good portion of the discourse which takes place on this forum involves criticism, anger, and outright bitching and moaning about the present state of the WWE and its leadership's decision making. I think it's safe to say that we all agree--to various degrees--that there are some serious problems with the current product that ought to be addressed, as is indicated by the low ratings/buyrates garnered by their shows and the disappointing number of WWE Network subscriptions. I would also venture to say that our vehemence about these issues springs from our passion for the company and the sport, and an honest desire to see it improve and reach the success that it has in the past.

So here's my proposed hypothetical question/thought experiment: Vince McMahon calls you tomorrow, flies you up to Stamford, CT, gives you a nice big office and a six-figure salary at WWE Headquarters, and says, "you now have 100% creative control over this company. Please fix it." What would you do? What changes would you make, both short term and long term? What would be your overall vision and strategy for improving WWE, increasing profits, bringing in new viewers, and restoring prestige to the company, to the titles, to the concept of pro-wresting? For the sake of expedience, let's just assume you have unlimited funds, but also please work within realistic parameters (i.e. no bringing back wrestlers from the dead, etc.).

I'm interested to hear your ideas. :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Go less PG,. not full blown blade jobs every match,. but just a little grittier. PPV set up would be different too. I would move MITB back to Mania,.make KOTR teh ppv before summer slam,. have the winner of the tournament get a title shot at the ME of Summer Slam. EC would be moved to Survivor Series,. and Ambrose would be my new top guy

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
don'T try to address every peer group possible as up to now.
stop the two minute matches to give roster more credability.
give in ring performers sooner or later a chance.
more and better fued promo time, less talking of whatever is playing general manager.
be thankfull that roster looks great after S-Series.

"A lot of possibilities. Cena heel turn allowing authority to come back.-Good thing cena heel, bad thing authority back."

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would definitely start with moving most of the talent on NXT that are ready to roll up to the main roster. Neville, Zayne, Breeze, The Ascension, The Vaudevillans...immediately. Hideo Itami,Finn Balor, Kevin Owens would be directly behind. The roster needs a re-vamp IMO and most of these guys are ready to roll. That would give NXT an opportunity to find even more talent and get them some time on that show. I would also introduce a late night mature rated show on the WWE network to satisfy the craving of some of the more old school fans. That would be a start.

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,745 Posts
Since over 75% of the WWE audience is adults I would target the programming more to them. Still have to leave some stuff for the kids, b/c they are a profitable section of the audience.

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
Listen to crowds. No scripted promos.

Drop bunny and other stupid shit.

Bring bad ass vs bad ass for title belts concept back.

Heel Corporation: :cena4 (champ) :vince4 :reigns (IC champ)

Top babyfaces: :bryan2 (feuds with Cena) :ambrose4 (feuds with Reigns like Rock vs Austin IC feud)

:rollins2 vs Wyatt feud

Bring :bahgawd back.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
After figuring out how everything works, who works with who, I would do the following:

- Talk to the wrestlers, figure out what they want, and what creative ideas they have

- Bring back King of the Ring, to build the midcard. If Wrestlemania is the Superbowl, King of the Ring is preseason. Have the post-Mania Raw, then give them the month of April off and run tv specials in their place until their return in May.

- Get rid of the US title and either bring back the European title or create the Internet title

- Take Divas division more seriously and create a Divas tag title, and if there’s enough interest, Divas IC title. Also consider having a Queen of the Ring tournament and possibly have Divas main event a PPV.

- Keep the show PG, but make it more grown up and less insulting to the viewers intelligence.

- Move more towards a more sports like environment, but still keep some entertainment.

- Bring in Vince Russo, and listen to some his ideas, so I can determine whether to hire Russo and fire the writers, can Russo and keep the writers, or add people who know the business to creative regardless as to whether or not they’ve been in the position before. Either way, there will be fewer writers and the writing will be stronger.

- Tone down the use of gimmick matches, so that the matches feel more special when they happen.

- Use pretaped interviews, managers, and valets more.

- Get rid of scripted promos

- Interviews and segments that happen on the App now happen on the shows.

- Have there be greater variety of challengers for the belts

- Matches that usually happen on Superstars moved to Raw to fill the time

- Use nameless jobbers for squash matches instead of those already signed to the roster

- Have Raw, Smackdown and NXT the main brands. Get rid of Main Event and Superstars. Have matches that would usually happen on Main Event and Superstar happen on Raw and Smackdown.

- Make sure no match gets interrupted with commercials. If it means a shorter match, then so be it.

- Have cross promotional deal with RoH and have a talent exchange. Also work with NJPW and CMLL/AAA to have War of the Worlds like supercards that are to be shown on the WWE Network.

- Have PPVs in more international locations, including having a Wrestlemania in the UK.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some good ideas all--I will add some of them to my own list. Here are the things I would do:

Long-Term Changes

1. More Serious Tone - I don't have a problem with the PG rating; I understand that a large portion of the audience is children, and that's fine. But it doesn't have to be so "cartoonish" and silly that it turns away potential older viewers, especially the coveted 18-40 something male demographic. That means NO people in bunny suits, NO midgets in bull costumes, and NO retarded guest hosts like Grumpy Cat or Larry the Cable Guy.

2. More Sports Oriented - I know it's always going to be "sports-entertainment," but I would like to see it presented more as a sport. I would implement a ranking system for each Championship, like a BCS ranking that is updated each week. It would lend more meaning to random matches on RAW if the viewer understood that something was on the line. Every match should have some kind of significance.

3. New Commentary Team - Get rid of Lawler and JBL. Cole could stay, but he would have to be more of a straight play-by-play guy. Too much joking around and nonsense from the commentary team right now. It really makes it hard to take the product seriously. Actually I might just bring NXT's announce team to RAW and send Cole to NXT.

4. Eliminate the Automatic Rematch Clause - I'm tired of title feuds dragging out for 2-3 PPVs. If you lose the title, you have to earn your rematch.

5. Clear Title Divisions - It should be made more clear who is competing for which titles. No more random IC title matches for people who haven't even mentioned the IC title. I would have it so that there are always 3-4 guys, at least, who are in the hunt for each title.

6. Bring back King of the Ring - Seriously. Everybody loves tournaments. I've never understood why they took KOTR away. I would load up the roster with as many talented guys as possible and have at least a 32 man tournament annually, with the winner becoming #1 contender for the WWE title. Most of the matches could take place on RAW and SmackDown, with maybe the final 4 making it to the PPV. Exciting times!

7. Revamp the "Road to WrestleMania" - This is something that has bothered me for a while. I know its a tradition, but the current configuration with the Royal Rumble winner automatically getting a WM main event spot, along with the Elimination Chamber being in February, is just getting old. It's a system that restricts creativity, and results in formulaic and predictable storylines every year during a time that should be the most exciting of the year. My plan would be to move Elimination Chamber to around July, get rid of the MITB pay-per-view and move the MITB match back to WrestleMania, and just have the Royal Rumble winner become #1 contender, but not necessarily guaranteed his title match at WrestleMania. This system would provide more flexibility to create new storylines for WrestleMania.

8. Upgrade the Women's Division - First I would get rid of the "Diva's" championship and bring back the Women's Championship. Then I would bring in more female competitors who are actually talented wrestlers, not just eye candy.

Immediate Actions

1. Send John Cena on Vacation - I think we mostly all agree on this. I like Cena, I appreciate all his work and commitment, etc.. but I would send him away for about 2 months. Let him take a break, and give the fans a break. Bring him back around WrestleMania time. WWE will never be able to explore new potential main eventers as long as Cena is back in the title race every other month.

2. Bring Up NXT Guys - I would immediately bring up Zayn, Neville, and Breeze to the main roster. Those guys are ready to contribute to the main shows. We need exciting match ups every week. More young talent provides more possible match combinations.

3. Get CM Punk Back - This may be controversial, and probably unrealistic. I have no idea what steps where taken to get him back.. but I would do whatever I could to get him back at least on a part-time basis. Why? Not because I'm a fan, but because he's super popular and has some star power beyond wrestling. There are still some things Punk has never accomplished, like winning the RR, or main eventing Wrestlemania. I would offer him those things.

4. Get the Title off Lesnar - If he isn't going to defend the title, he doesn't need it, Period. I was super excited when he won the championship, but having an absentee champion has gotten old quick. Someone like Ryback, Rollins, Rusev or Ziggler needs to beat Lesnar, and then he can go away to UFC or whatever. Sure, it would be great to have him around because of his drawing power, but I think only having your champion appear once every 4 months is too much of a liability. If he's available, I put him in a match with Rock at WrestleMania just to draw buys.

I guess that's about it for now.

·
Registered
14,593 Posts
-Reduce pay per views to 8 a year
-Strip Lesnar of the title, have a tournament for the title
-Let the wrestlers be themselves more so
-Bring back the brand extension
-Get more edgier

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
First thing is do away with scripted promos, bullet points only

Introduce more backstage interviews for the show/app/network to allow the talent to get their characters over with the audience

Change the announce teams, possibly change colour commentator week to week or do something to stop it getting stale. JBL/King/Cole did 6 hours of commentary in the last 48 hours, no wonder they don't sound into the product

Give Cena some time off, absence makes the heart grow fonder

Pay what needs to be paid to get Brock on every PPV and at least every 3 RAWs, not every week but every 2 or 3 shows he should be on as champion, Heyman needs to be on most of the shows building up Brock and his next WWE title match

Book different people to face Brock, coming out of Survior Series the natural progression is Dolph gets a title match

Bring back KOTR and place it in the October/November time period where traditional the product goes down

No GM, have Vince appear rarely and only when an important decision needs making

Replace the US title with either a TV or Internet Championship

Add to the Roster, they have 5 hours of US TV plus another hour on the network, the Roster is too thin and is leading to overexposure of everyone on the roster. Pick up some indy talent, promote from NXT and even bring back some of the mid carders let go over the past few years

Make the Championships the centre piece, they are what people are vying for and what everyone is focused on unless there is a serious personal issue. Brock Lesnar as WWE Champion is perfect, here is this big heel who has been a champion everywhere he has been and is the ultimate challenge in WWE, the babyfaces should be doing everything possible to get a match with him and the heels should be doing everything they can to prove they are as big and bad as Lesnar

Decrease the number of turns, we all joke about Henry/Show/Kane but it's not just them, too many guys turn too often or are just in this grey area in the middle where the crowd neither boo or cheer them. Identify your faces and heels clearly and stick to it

·
Registered
94 Posts
target the adult audience but not a full blown re hash of the attitude era
push for more character backstories
bring back the king of the ring to second the royal rumble
put mid card title matches on at wrestlemania
drop the bullshit surprise entrants at the royal rumble since they serve no purpose other than cheap pops
drop themed ppvs (tlc, ec, mitb)
no more scripted promos
get on the iwc boards to see what the majority is looking for

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Long-term changes:
1. Make the titles the most important thing. No matter how many devices are implemented to make the stories about something else, they are ultimately all distractions that make it hard to view the roster as wrestlers and not just athletic characters. I'd do this by really organizing the federation according to the Championship titles and clarifying the rules so that they're not disobeyed in the name of "creative license" as they are every week on Raw.

2. Speaking of creative license, there is a real freedom (and not anarchy) that the roster lacks today. The writers' system has been horrible and even those with charisma are turned artificial in their words. I'd bring back the amount of freedom wrestlers used to have in that regard.

Immediate actions:
1. Allow blood, foreign objects, &c. WWE's probably faced the fact that they belong in wrestling. They're just afraid of the politically correct group that hasn't.

2. Similarly, end the so-called "WWE style" of phony, gimmick-based wrestling, underdog miracles, and the highly limited moveset. Someone like Daniel Bryan, one might think, would like this, while someone like John Cena might not. So as a temporary, immediate compromise, make the wrestling more impactful, allow occasional piledrivers, and demand that the moves be executed correctly, such as the infamous STFU.

3. Completely changing the basic mood and atmosphere would go a long way toward bringing a new era while going against presumably minor direct interests. Today's camera style is like a portrait of the eyes and mental state of an idiot. There should be a new commentary team (retiring the current one properly, of course), the lighting and theme song need to change, and, last but not least, PPVs should be treated as such.

Overall vision:

The basic idea is that in order for pro wrestling to attract interest, it has to maintain the order, intensity, and enhanced sense of action that allows wrestlers to impress the audience with their prowess as wrestlers and not mere characters. I believe the cheap underdog plans undermine all of wrestling by using it for something at once contradictory of wrestling logic and that could just as easily be done on another show or in a movie. The final goal is a company wherein RAW is a show purely for the fans and not the public image. That means no pink ropes, and no towels with inspirational slogans.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Make the IC Title and US Titles more important, especially now since the World Title is out of the picture on an absent Brock Lesnar. Way back, the Intercontinental Champion was seen as the #2 performer in the company. Today, the IC Champion lays down for just about everyone.

I'd put more dedication into Tag Team wrestling, enhancing teams and the boosting the importance of those Titles.

Return of the King of the Ring.

Each PPV or special event would highlight one match featuring NXT performers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts