Wrestling Forum banner

Hulk Hogan sues yet ANOTHER company

4K views 49 replies 31 participants last post by  The BoogeyMan 
#1 · (Edited)
Hulk Hogan can always be counted on to deliver an entertaining lawsuit. Last year, the professional wrestler and reality television star strong-armed Post Foods after the cereal giant came out with a commercial that featured a character known as "Hulk Boulder" with long blond hair and a blond Fu Manchu mustache suffering humiliating defeat to Bam-Bam of Flintstones fame. Now, Hogan has picked his latest target -- a company that owns car dealerships in the St. Louis area.

Hogan is suing Southland Imports and Suntrup Automotive Group over a commercial that warns unwary car buyers of getting "body slammed" over bad deals and that invites customers "tired of wrestling for a good deal." The lawsuit filed on Tuesday in Florida District Court alleges that the defendant violated Hogan's likeness and implied an endorsement by imitating his voice and using his catch phrases.

And what catch phrases does Hogan claim in the lawsuit to have popularized?

• The heavy use of "brother" to refer to one's acquaintances
  • Pointing to one's own muscles and referring to them as "guns" (Watch out, Ron Burgundy)
  • Reference to fans as "Hulkamaniacs"

Put together, the Hulkster sees a publicity rights infringer in his midst.

Hogan tells about his long list of accomplishments, which include six-time WWF/E champion, the part of "Thunderlips" in Rocky III, a cameo appearance on Walker: Texas Ranger, a VH1 reality show, host of American Gladiators, a cover of a Gary Glitter song, commercials with Troy Aikman, and the single biggest 900 phone number from 1991 to 1993. Yes, he's that famous.

Hogan is seeking to body slam the commercial and derive unspecified damages from the defendant. He was successful in gaining a settlement last year in the case of "Hulk Boulder."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/thr-esq/hulk-hogan-sues-car-dealership-161094
Can't be fucking with Hogans "likeness."

He must really be broke, what is this his 4th lawsuit in a year?

#7 ·
TNA should be sued for too much WWE likeness.

don't see why Hogan gives so much of a shit, i'm sure stuff like this happens a lot with charismatic celebrities such as Hogan.

Reactions: soxfan93
#50 ·
This.

It's not like he's just clutching at straws. These companies are trying to make money off his likeness and why should they, if he can't profit from it himself?

Seems fair, actually.
I find it kinda funny as only one of the "catchphrases" listed is actaully something ripped from Hohan and thats ?Hulkamaniacs,
The idea is that there is so much there it adds to the greater case. If it was just the guns or brother comments, they wouldn't have anything. But when you combine it with the look, hulkamaniacs etc etc then it just makes it crystal clear that they're infringing.

#14 ·
nah im pretty sure the contract included guarunteed money

#16 ·
he probably IS desperate for money but the man got 5-6 major surguries on his back this past year. That money is leaving soon as it comes. TNA or no TNA! I wish People stop bitching about everything the man does. Even when he gives a small opinion on Cena/Rock fued and people couldn't wait to bash him. He wasnt even dissing nobody.

#15 ·
dp srry

#25 ·
Hogan can't wrestle anymore so he has to do what he's got to do to make a living. I can't say I blame the guy either. Its up to the court though if they'll rule in favor of him, holding that "'likeness' means actual representation of another person's appearance, and not simply close resemblance."

- Vic

#29 ·
Most people condemning this would do the same thing in a heartbeat if they were not as rich as they once were and saw the opportunity...

BROTHER!

#37 ·
Most people condemning this would do the same thing in a heartbeat if they were not as rich as they once were and saw the opportunity...
tbf, you kind of have to be rich (or at least famous) for this to happen to you......

no one's taking the gimmick of someone no one gives a shit about.

#31 ·
i haven't seen the specifics but from the summary it definitely sounds like he has a case there. you can't use someone's likeness without their consent if i'm not mistaken. because of his time in wwe/wwf i'm sure he has all that copyrighted and owns it. aka hulkamania. vince does that with all his guys as well. in a case like this the person doin the commercial would have to gain rights to use the likeness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.