Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TNA Fight Night and Gut Check is part of the brand’s movement to bring in new talent. Fight Night offers one wrestler outside of the brand to wrestle in front of Hogan and a panel of judges. If the wrestler impresses, he or she could land a contract with TNA. Gut Check is an open tryout for the brand as it continually searches for new talent. Hogan said that the response has been incredible and that former WWE superstars Chris Masters and John Morrison have reached out to TNA in hopes of landing a deal.

Despite his past successes, Hogan’s next move appears to be his biggest gamble.

“We are going to give more power to the fans, make them more involved and more important,” Hogan said. “I can’t say much more, but I can say this, I’m either going to be really right on this one or really wrong. If I’m wrong, you probably won’t see me again because I’ll be hightailing it out of here.”

Hogan’s ability to look past the current situation at TNA is important to the overall success of the company as well. Hogan believes rather than using a solution that benefits the brand in the interim, that TNA needs to look to where it wants to be in the future and work backwards from there.

“If you wanted a quick fix, right now, you would put the belt on Jeff Hardy,” Hogan said. “That would fix a bunch of stuff right now, but that is not working backwards from where we need to be. Right now, to work to that point, the belt needs to stay with Bobby Roode. He’s a guy who we are bringing up and is a constant. As we build him up it’s like a volcano that ready to explode.”

TNA isn’t the first time Hogan has gone toe-to-toe with Vince McMahon’s wrestling conglomerate. 15 years ago, during the height of World Championship Wrestling, Hogan was one of the biggest talents for the brand and led one of the most intriguing wrestling storylines when he, along with Scott Hall and Kevin Nash, formed the NWO.

“I remember the last time this build-up happened,” Hogan said. “Vince McMahon had Shawn Michaels dress up as Hulk Hogan with a walker and say ‘You’re getting old brother.’ Then we came with the NWO idea and I feel the same thing now. [The WWE] is banging me on TV again, having The Three Stooges dressing up as me, showing footage of Brock Lesnar beating me last week. They’re worried about something.

“[With WCW,] we were doing three times the numbers [ratings] that WWF was doing back then. We slammed them for a couple of years in the ratings. We had incredible talent and had the two highest rated shows on TNT and TBS at the time.”

Now Hogan plays a different role with TNA as compared to when he was with WCW, shifting from being an in-ring talent, to someone who is more behind the scenes, working with Dixie Carter to improve the brand. Hogan did describe the shift as one of the most difficult ones he’s ever had to make.

“It took me a long time to come to grips with the fact that I can’t be in the ring that much anymore, to set aside that ego, it’s tough,” Hogan said. “But when I look back at the tape and see myself walking out there and wrestling, it isn’t how I want it to be so I had to realize that I shouldn’t be doing that anymore.”

In addition to having Hogan, TNA has a valuable partner in Spike TV, which televises the brand’s flagship program, TNA IMPACT! On Thursday nights.

“[Spike TV] understands the business,” Hogan said. “They know what to expect and are well aware as to how the business works. They’re supportive and are believing in us more and more every day and as we keep rolling forward you’ll see more support. They’re team players and it will help both of us to be open and take that leap of faith.”

With Hogan leading the march, it’s clear that Hulkamania is running wild on the industry once again, building TNA into a wrestling powerhouse.

“I’m excited, I really am,” Hogan said. “If we can get this thing firing on all eight cylinders, get traction and do the right thing, you never know.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainme...restling_Do3zzGXcFS2hjXUVV742zK#ixzz1tXenWg7m
This is the second half of the article, the link is there to read the first part.

Pretty interesting I guess. Aside from hearing Morrison has been in talks with TNA (granted, this is coming from Hogan) Hogan also brought up WWE taking shots at him this past few weeks.

I use to be all for the idea of Morrison coming to TNA, but now I rather see TNA get cheaper indy stars like the Briscoes and other proven talent that is not quite as expensive. John Morrison is good and I think as a heel he would be good for TNA tv, but he's not a lead man and I have a feeling TNA would have to pay him close to what they are paying guys like RVD and Hardy. If they had deeper pockets I'd say go for it, but not now when the money is low and you can get cheaper pieces with more potential upside.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
good to see he has faith in Roode

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hogan might be able to help Morrison in his persona. The on camera performances have been a lot better since Hogan/Bischoff came in. It'd be great to see a heel Morrison again.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
“If you wanted a quick fix, right now, you would put the belt on Jeff Hardy,”
Yeah, lets bury Roode even more. I know he said some positive things about Roode as well, but with this single comment he basicly said that Roode isn't there yet, and that they need to be patient in building him up. Very stupid marketing from the Hulkster. He should've said something that Roode is the best in the industry right now, but we just need to market him more.

His comments about Roode and the title also instantly ruined all the upcoming matches with Roode, because we now know 100% certain Roode is going to keep the belt. Why even bother putting Roode/RVD on ppv?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Yeah, lets bury Roode even more. I know he said some positive things about Roode as well, but with this single comment he basicly said that Roode isn't there yet, and that they need to be patient in building him up. Very stupid marketing from the Hulkster. He should've said something that Roode is the best in the industry right now, but we just need to market him more.

His comments about Roode and the title also instantly ruined all the upcoming matches with Roode, because we now know 100% certain Roode is going to keep the belt. Why even bother putting Roode/RVD on ppv?
How does he bury Roode? It is no different than say a baseball GM saying if you want a quick fix go out and spend 100 million on FA compared to building through a draft and restocking a farm system.

I swear fans of this industry get worse and more jaded by the day. Everyone is a fucking expert at everything.

·
Registered
377 Posts
"What the fans want..."

Except, not everyone wants the same old stale ex-WWE pushed to the moon alongside Eric Bischoff's son, Gunner and Crimson you know...
*Can't argue too much about Garret, he is not nearly as bad people make him out to be and is getting better timing wise but still not to TV acceptable levels. Just accept he is going to be on TV and get over it.

*Gunner is one of the best workers in wrestling today. His timing, selling and all-around in ring game is a solid A. He does lack in the personality, character department but as a ring worker there are few better right now. He can work with anyone big, small and make them look good. That is priceless in wrestling. Gunner is your workhorse that gets shit done.

* Crimson gets alot of unnecessary crap. He was a bit green when he came in but you can see a ton of improvement if you watch him wrestle. He is at least an average wrestler with flashes of more. His heel persona has done wonders for his personality. Sky is the limit for him.

How does he bury Roode? It is no different than say a baseball GM saying if you want a quick fix go out and spend 100 million on FA compared to building through a draft and restocking a farm system.

I swear fans of this industry get worse and more jaded by the day. Everyone is a fucking expert at everything.
This is so true. Well said. Agreed

As for Masters and Morrison, They are the ONLY 2 free agents that could make any sort of contribution to TNA. Both are very good wrestlers albeit in different ways. Masters has gotten miles better in the last few years and now has the experiences he could be a big piece for TNA. Morrison is a solid guy and has that flash TNA is lacking right now.

Don't see Morrison coming in, He will probably end up back in WWE soon.
Masters really wants to be in TNA and really wants to prove himself. That is a good combo. With his work with TNA already with Ring Ka King, he has an in and people on his side so the possibility is there.

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
These 2 guys would do wonders in the TV title division.

Bobby Roode is the man, nothing new hogan :cool2

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Run you mofo named Jomo! Parkour your happy ass outta there. Go to Japan, get stabbed in Mexico. Bro, Hogan's Tna is a trap.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Having just watched Chris Masters live for the first time (at IPW:UK) I was completely blown away by him. I don't really watch WWE so I had only heard talk of him improving but hadn't actually seen it myself. Then I saw his RKK stuff and definitely liked what I saw but still wasn't entirely convinced that I would like to see him in TNA. But after watching him live I am now on the Chris Masters to IMPACT bandwaggon. The guy's babyface fire and especially his selling are absolutely tremendous, which is a great asset to have in an era where a lot wrestlers don't really bother to sell that much. So, I'm glad to see Hogan acknowledge Masters and hopefully Masters will indeed join TNA somewhere down the road.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Please TNA don't sign JoMo let him go back to the WWE, TNA don't need to sign WWE talent they need to sign young, fresh talent that won't stab them in the back when there contracts comes up.

·
Premium Member
44,391 Posts
I've said it a million times before. If they want to liven up the X Division, JoMo is a perfect guy to get for that.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
JoMo and Masters would both be excellent pickups. TNA loves to pickup the wrong guys from WWE (Orlando Jordan, The Bashams, Test, Shannon Moore) and more often then not doesn't grab the good ones who are willing to come in( Carlito, Gallows, etc.).

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Morrison vs Aries
Morrison vs AJ

Would be awesome.

Hogan gets too much stick IMO, he was 100% proved spot on about Roode, people forget that.

TNA needs to continue trying to build new stars, they are doing the right thing not panicking about ratings, and it seems Spike understand what they are trying to do.

Hogan knows what he is doing, people need to start having more faith.

On the talent front, all the calls he has made so far have been the correct ones. He knows talent. Even Garrett, as much as I'm not a fan, has improved a fair amount since he debut.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If they do sign them, which I have no problem with, they'll have to lock them into long contracts to stop them jumping ship straight away if/when wwe comes knocking at the door, rendering their whole TNA run pointless...They will also need to be used properly...I agree with JoMo in the X-division and Masters as a TV title holder, please don't put them in the main event, that should be occupied by Storm, Roode, Aries, Angle, Bully, AJ and Hardy (I guess) for the next year or so...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts