1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Hogan/Flair WM 8

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Shawn Michaels was supposed to wrestle Eddie Guerrero at WrestleMania 22 before Eddie died. Shame. Would have been outstanding.
That's more of a tentative plan than a match that was canceled, but it does remind me that Batista was to defend the World Heavyweight Title against Eddie Guerrero and Randy Orton at the SmackDown taping (in a match that was announced in advance) and unfortunately Eddie died the day before it could happen. It's rumored that he was going to win the belt so Batista could take time off, too.

This one stands out to me because it was the match I bought a ticket to the tapings to see, but wound up attending Eddie's memorial show instead. Couldn't find a graphic for it.

·
Asuka
96,550 Posts
That's more of a tentative plan than a match that was canceled, but it does remind me that Batista was to defend the World Heavyweight Title against Eddie Guerrero and Randy Orton at the SmackDown taping (in a match that was announced in advance) and unfortunately Eddie died the day before it could happen. It's rumored that he was going to win the belt so Batista could take time off, too.

This one stands out to me because it was the match I bought a ticket to the tapings to see, but wound up attending Eddie's memorial show instead. Couldn't find a graphic for it.
So it has to be announced for it to count? To me, if Vince McMahon has planned it and approved it, it got cancelled, regardless of an announcement.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Chris Benoit vs CM Punk
I don't care what peoples' religious views are, or what they think of Benoit, my idea of Heaven will include seeing these two square off in a series of century spanning "iron angel" matches.

also dibs on Iron Angel as a metal group name

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
So it has to be announced for it to count? To me, if Vince McMahon has planned it and approved it, it got cancelled, regardless of an announcement.
No big deal, but the OP was specifically about matches that were advertised in advance (especially if they had graphics made). From the article:

Many matches have been planned and cancelled for a variety of reasons: The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania XXX (due to Rock’s injury at WrestleMania 29), CM Punk vs. Triple H at WrestleMania XXX (due to Punk reportedly quitting WWE), Brock Lesnar vs. Daniel Bryan at SummerSlam 2014 (due to Daniel Bryan’s injury), but none of these matches had been advertised to fans, and they were all cancelled before too many people even knew they were in the works. Below is a list of 6 matches involving legendary wrestlers that were cancelled with little to no notice, with some of the cases just being flat out false advertising.
I'm sure Eddie vs HBK was the plan at one point, but months out, things are always likely to change.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Kevin Nash and Brett Hart had a match planned on the Tonight show with Jay Leno, But due to Owens death this never too place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts