Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=50295

As Dave Scherer wrote yesterday, word has been making the rounds in recent days that the Milton Wilpon/Peter Karoftis/Sean Davis Florida upstart, which we know now has been named Worldwide Wrestling Promotions, was pushing back its planned Fall launch for January 2011. The delay was confirmed to the roster and staff of WWP in an email early this morning from Sean Davis, real name R. Sean Pascoe, who noted they now planned to launch in the early part of 2011, but didn't have a firm date.

In the email, which PWInsider.com acquired from numerous sources, Davis wrote that "the financing side" of the company told the wrestling side, "our original time table is not at all feasible. While we were all committed to launching in October we know now that has become an impossible goal. Our new goal is to start operations in the first part of the new year however we do not as of today have a firm date. That unfortunately means that contracts will have to be changed to a new starting date."

Pascoe went on to explain that while he "fought this decision KICKING AND SCREAMING (literally)", that the "corporate side of the company" feels the delay has to happen. He warned the roster that "unfortunately it comes down to either this move is made or this company does not move forward."

Pascoe told the wrestlers and staffers that they would be issued contract addendums drawn up by WWP's attorney and if the talent didn't wish to sign them, he understood. Pascoe told those emailed, "You will still be welcome to come back to work for us in the future once we are up and running in the early part of the new year. For those of you that sign the contract addendums you will be receiving extra shares of company stock and the addendums will also spell out our full health and benefits plan that will be made available to you."

Pascoe noted that the company has been hit with "more than our fair share of bumps", blaming it on "many forces in the wrestling business." Pascoe wrote these forces were "doing whatever they can to sabotage everything we are trying to do and doing everything in their power to make sure that this company will never launch. I can promise you though that no matter how many hurdles we have to jump over that there are people here dedicated to doing everything they can to make sure this company WILL launch and we will be a long time player in this industry."

Pascoe declared that WWP was not launching "a new independent promotion or something that is going to be on the long list of fly by night wrestling companies that have come and gone." He wrote that they are planning on "becoming over the next decade the premiere wrestling company in the world" but that "obviously does not happen overnight."

Pascoe also promised details on several deals that the company had completed in "the next few weeks."

As all this is going on PWInsider.com can confirm that representatives of the upstart WWP have been reaching out to a number of known power players in the business, including Paul Heyman and Jerry Jarrett.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
They have a huge plan and they actually have a financial backer which is great. I don't agree with a few of their supposed talent acquisitions though unless they want to take TNA's place of "Retirement Home Wrestling". If they manage to get somewhere, more power to them. They just need to not make mistakes that have been done before such as taping in a tourist attraction and hiring company killers such as Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff and Vince Russo. Considering that a few TNA names are rumoured to be coming in because of their dissatisfaction of the current situation there, WWP needs to not go overboard. The name sounds bland though.

Surprised that Jerry Jarrett got asked about coming in. It was said before that Heyman was offered but he wasn't interested unless he spoke to Wilpon himself.

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,967 Posts
Terrible name - check. Disorganised - check. Think they can beat WWE - check. Its like TNA 2.0 .

I sincerely hope, as a wrestling fan, that this promotion never gets of the ground because its the kind of company that could get quite big quite quickly, with no long-term plan of action, and then implode. In doing so sucking half of the wrestling world into its black hole.

·
Banned
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Urgh... how is Worldwide Wrestling Promotions (WWP) a bad name? And how are they fucking unorganised??? :confused: They just went to great detail to ensure everyone that they aren't starting up UNTIL everythings properly ready. fpalm They outlined a 10year plan - not something that will happen overnight. Theyve gone about everything in the most professional and thought-out way possible. All you ever do is hate on anything that isn't Ring Of Honor - get a grip and an open mind if possible.

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,967 Posts
how is Worldwide Wrestling Promotions (WWP) a bad name?
Could there possibly be a worse name? How can any promotion that claims to want to be "bigger than Vince" go ahead and use a fake version of Vince's company's name? That's just like admitting defeat from day one. What's their main authority figure going to be called? Vance Muckman?

Three-initial names are becoming totally tired and passe. A lot of the MMA (and wrestling for that matter) companies, that are spawning of late, are realising that one-word names are far more marketable, in the modern world.

I mean if you really are going to confine yourself to a box then, at least, think of a unique three-initial name.

Other than that, the name sounds like an 11-year-olds offerings in the BTB thread. "WWP. Owned by Paul Heyman. Champion - Ken Kennedy".

And how are they fucking unorganised??? :confused: They just went to great detail to ensure everyone that they aren't starting up UNTIL everythings properly ready. fpalm
The keep pushing back the launch date and are now telling contracted talent, who have maybe burned other bridges under false pretenses, that they aren't getting work when they thought that they were. Any company that offers people stock instead of actual money immediately comes across as fishy to me. That stock will, ultimately, never be worth anything.

All you ever do is hate on anything that isn't Ring Of Honor - get a grip and an open mind if possible.
I enjoy far more different promotions than you do, I'm sure. My mind is far more open than yours, hence why I don't blindly praise absolutely everything that pushes itself into my line of vision.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
WWP? LOL. What a dumb name. It sounds like it came straight from the 70s. This company failed before it even started.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
I think this company delaying their debut is a good start, it gives them a better chance of having a stable base to build on.

·
Banned
251 Posts
Jim is one of the promoters for the new promotion, he used to work with Booker'T in the PWA for a number of years before leaving. He is friends with Sean and a few of the other stars of the said promotion.

·
Banned
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think this company delaying their debut is a good start, it gives them a better chance of having a stable base to build on.
I agree. By delaying it theyre being responsible instead of starting up when its not properly ready.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Rasche Brown was talking about this company having a good roster. He wouldn't say who all would appear in it though. Anyone have any guesses?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
If the financial backing of this new promotion is already having doubts, I also doubt that this will last long. Being profitable in wrestling takes a very long time so the owner is going to need to be someone with a huge love of wrestling (Ted Turner, Dixie Carter, etc...) that's willing to suffer through years of losing money. As much as I would like to see something like this get off the ground and become competitive, I don't think it's going to happen.

·
7 years, 18 movies later ....
3,323 Posts
I just read that they have signed about 50 - 65 wrestlers so its anyones guess who it could be really.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts