Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't wanna hear any lame answers like "Turn them heel" This question is under the pretense that they are going to stay face for a good chunk.

We have seen what happens when guys turn face, their characters go to die. Once upon a time, faces were almost as awesome as heels. I am not just talking about the Attitude Era, I am talking before and right after.

Some incredible face moments in history
-Kurt Angle milked the alliance.
-Kurt Angle kidnapped Stone Cold
-Austin milked McMahons
-Rock attacked the entire McMahon-Helmsley Regime with mostly cheap attacks from behind.
-Kane and Undertaker's Night of Destruction (look it up)
-Jericho owning Stephanie McMahon/Trish Stratus on the mic
-Brock Lesnar throwing Matt Hardy through a wall.
-Kane's attacks on people in the past.
-Randy Orton's attacks on Evolution (People shit on his face run but the first month of it was awesome)
-John Cena throws Edge into the water.
-Triple-H threw Randy Orton through a glass wall.
-Undertaker threw Austin through a glass wall as well.
-Booker-t's promos from 2002-2003 as a face. Over as hell.

With all these non wrestling skits above as examples, what would you do to make one of the faces more interesting? You only have to list one face and talk about them. Don't have to list them all. One is the minimum.

How would you make the face characters more interesting?

·
Banned
8,283 Posts
Anything would make them more interesting but the way to make a baby face over among all fans is to get the emotional attachment back with them and to do that is by making the heels real heels again. Not these Daniel Bryan type of heels that do a,b,and c parts of being a great heel to perfection but then leave out part d and e which makes people turn on the baby face thinking he's boring and start picking up on the YES chants and cheering for Daniel Bryan no matter what he does diminishing parts a,b, and c. It's hard to explain so that's why I rather just put letters on it. If I had to explain it each letter would be at least a entire post.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Faces nowadays are too clean cut and too goody goody. With the exeption of CM Punk and thats partly why he has gotten as over as he has with his recent run.

Classic examples...

APA and The Dudleyz.

You had the APA drinking, smoking, gambling and fighting.

Then you had the Dudleyz...Beating up women and putting them through tables. Well just about putting anyone through a table had people into them.

Then you had guys like SCSA and The Rock. Flipping people off and going up against Authority whilst the Rock was running people down in every way imaginable and calling Stephanie McMahon a Hoe.

·
Banned
2,045 Posts
The problem with today's faces is that they don't really do anything. They just react when provoked. Guys like Sheamus just walk to the ring every week with a smile on their face and that gets old very fast.

People like to say the IWC only likes heels but the truth is that the IWC likes wrestlers who are actually entertaining and show initiative.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Faces dont have to suck up to fans and get cheap pops by saying there venues town name, and basically pander to the crowd with mind numbing bordum, faces need to take far more risks.

And faces need to be more like Daniel Bryan and CM Punk(when he first turned) - tweeners who dont care what the fans think they just go about there business.

·
Banned
2,383 Posts
One simple thing we don't see too often any more is the face rescue angle. Austin is the perfect example of this because it always worked so well when someone was being beaten down or threatened and you heard the glass shatter, knowing he was about to run down to the ring and smash some heads.

We do see it occasionally these days, but it's rare and never has anywhere near the same effect. I think a large part of that is the relative meekness of today's heels. We need heels who are both capable and vicious, heels who win matches and heels who don't just pick up cheap heat but do genuinely abominable things for no other reason than to be cruel.

I've often thought the biggest problem with most of the heels today is that they aren't dangerous or intimidating, they're just annoying. I legitimately believe I know people like Miz or Ziggler. I know people who brag and show off. I don't know people like the HHH who broke JR's arm, the Brock Lesnar who tried to cripple an amputee, the Kane who tried to electrocute Shane McMahon's testicles. I don't know guys like that because guys like that are genuinely abhorrent people, people whose machinations you desperately want to see upset. They're the people you want to see stopped, they're the people you believe need to be stopped. Nobody needs to stop the guys who have a bit of an ego, they don't do any real harm. There's nothing heroic about the guy who stands up to them, whereas there is something heroic about the guy who runs down to save a girl from being crucified by a devil worshipper. It's a lot more fun to get behind a hero than it is to get behind someone who doesn't like being mildly annoyed.

In short, make the heels more detestable and make the faces valiant enough to oppose them. Faces today aren't heroes, they're guys with goals, just like all the heels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts