Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We all know the X-Division is not nearly as great as it was back in the day. I mean it went from the thing that put the company on the map to a complete after thought. Why TNA threw it into the gutter will always boggle my mind.

With that said what do you guys feel they should do to make it relevant again? Who should they have compete and who should they get rid of?

IMO I think they should make the X-Division Title its second most prestige belt(since thats the division that put them on the map). Personally I think the X-Title should always be runner up to the Heavyweight Title on every PPV. I mean not only does that add more prestige to the belt and make TNA seem DIFFERENT, at the same time it actually gives the smaller guys in the wrestling business a chance to shine which is a route I think wrestling is going in(this isn't the era of bodybuilders nemore). And depending on which scene is more hot at the moment, the X-Division Title Match and the Heavyweight Title Match can alternate in terms of the main event and you'd get PPVs like Unbreakable 05 where the X-Division Title Match was the last match.

For my roster Id keep Red, Doug Williams, Robbie E, Jay Lethal, Fire Eric Young, and try to sign guys like Austin Ares, Ricochet, get Christopher Daniels back, Homicide and so on.

·
Number 30 in the Rumble
1,629 Posts
Make the belt more prestigous, make it the second most sought after title in TNA, Give Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy and AJ runs with the x title and in feuds with x division wrestlers to get people more interested in the division, bring back Daniels, do all x-division 3 hour ppv style impact, bring in more cruiserweights from the indys/mexico/japan, give x division wrestlers more high profile feuds and more mic time.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
1. Make it a separate brand. Like how WCW did with the cruiserweights, there was not too much NWO related stuff outside Syxx.

2. Move Styles and Joe out of the horrible booked TV/Global title scene. Bring them back home.

3. Number 2 goes with number 3, make the title equal to the World title but with different contenders and separate agendas. Basically, do what Dusty Rhodes did.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Well, I would bring in guys like Jack Evans, Extreme Tiger, Matt Cross (M-dogg 20). And I would bring back Petey Williams and Sonjay Dutt. Daniels isn't coming back anytime soon, he' s getting a push towards the heavyweight title right now in ROH.

They need to start with re-showcasing the X Division through having Multi-man X Division matches to start off impact. Then you bring the belt back into the picture by having a good feud Between Lethal and someone, that shows the seriousness of the title.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm not saying I advocate these things since I'm not sure fixing the X-division is worth the time and the effort given TNA's current goals and product. But, if you really wanted to make the X-division important I would:

1) Make it distinct and almost rebellious. In other words give it its own GM and set of rules and style of booking with occasional verbal shots at the Heavyweight division for being more about talking than wrestling. Even though Foley obviously has no X-division experience or skills I'd put him in charge. Book a lot of clean finishes and make it seem like anyone in the division could win the title at any time.

2) Bring back the World X Cup or some equivalent use of international talent. TNA is probably never going to be able to say they have the best heavyweight division in the world, but they might someday be able to claim that the X title is the most prestigious title among high-fliers (even if it's not true, American audiences would be more likely to accept such a claim). If a Mexican or Japanese company was willing you could even do a short cross-brand title unification storyline (as was done with the tag titles).

3) Make sure you get at least one significant match on Impact each week and one angle (preferably Foley hyping next week's match).

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I'd only bring in Davey Richards as the top heel and El Generico who does a great job as the sympathetic babyface even without saying anything, plus they consistently have great matches. I would also bring AJ and Joe back to the division, their style just works better in x-div matches, and the feuds in the x-division could be solely based on athletic competition, so their lack of mic skills wouldn't be an issue. I would also elevate the prestige of the title, making it second only to the heavyweight championship.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Scrap the TV title for a start. Its a totally poinless belt which has a terrible history behind it and is now on its 3rd name. Why they have AJ Styles carrying it ill never know. It doesnt make him seem any better and it doesnt elevate the belt. I like the idea of the X division being run as a separate division like it was back in the day but i dont think it has to be booked as though X division wrestlers cant fight the heavyweights. Although I certainly wouldnt have the X division champion losing to anyone outside the Heavyweight title feud which at the moment includes anyone in Fortune.

·
Registered
665 Posts
TNA definitely needs some returning faces to the company. Petey Williams, Sonjay Dutt, and possibly bring in someone like Shelton Benjamin or Billy Kidman. If some big faces come back and rock the TNA X Division than you'll see a change in the company.

I would also not be opposed to having the TNA X Division Champion defended as the main event. If you have a great feud going on with someone like Shelton Benjamin and Samoa Joe or AJ Styles, why not have the X Division championship be on the line in the main event?

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would also not be opposed to having the TNA X Division Champion defended as the main event. If you have a great feud going on with someone like Shelton Benjamin and Samoa Joe or AJ Styles, why not have the X Division championship be on the line in the main event?
Its cause small guys don't "Draw"....(sarcasm of course)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Scrap the TV title for a start. Its a totally poinless belt which has a terrible history behind it and is now on its 3rd name. Why they have AJ Styles carrying it ill never know. It doesnt make him seem any better and it doesnt elevate the belt. I like the idea of the X division being run as a separate division like it was back in the day but i dont think it has to be booked as though X division wrestlers cant fight the heavyweights. Although I certainly wouldnt have the X division champion losing to anyone outside the Heavyweight title feud which at the moment includes anyone in Fortune.
The heavyweight scene is too over crowded. Guys like Kaz, Brutus Magnus, Pope, Abyss should be wrestling for the TV title. It should be utilized properly, but Russo doesn't give a shit about making your product look like a real sport, or at least serious.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The heavyweight scene is too over crowded. Guys like Kaz, Brutus Magnus, Pope, Abyss should be wrestling for the TV title. It should be utilized properly, but Russo doesn't give a shit about making your product look like a real sport, or at least serious.
Yea unknowingly TNA could possibly have one of the best mid card divisions in the business if they actually took the time to establish it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
TNA definitely needs some returning faces to the company. Petey Williams, Sonjay Dutt, and possibly bring in someone like Shelton Benjamin or Billy Kidman. If some big faces come back and rock the TNA X Division than you'll see a change in the company.

Totally agree with this idea in principle although the Robbie E vs Jay Lethal feud really isnt main event worthy. Personally I would have MCMG vs Team 3D as the main event for Turning Point but somewhere down the line if they let Lethal get a bit of momentum behind him, they should consider him in a PPV main event defending the X title in one of their "filler" PPVs. Destination X would be perfect for that scenario.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Totally agree with this idea in principle although the Robbie E vs Jay Lethal feud really isnt main event worthy. Personally I would have MCMG vs Team 3D as the main event for Turning Point but somewhere down the line if they let Lethal get a bit of momentum behind him, they should consider him in a PPV main event defending the X title in one of their "filler" PPVs. Destination X would be perfect for that scenario.
I don't think he meant necessarily having Jay Lethal and Robbie Main event but just more in the future if they sign other Highflyers with actual personalities. I wish TNA would sign Austin Aries hes a perfect personality who I could see being the main heel of that division. I think with the right amount of build Lethal could become the top babyface of that division he just needs more established people to feud with.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Assuming I was in charge of the x-division alone as the thread suggests and I was allowed to book the league for at least 15 minutes a week I'd just let the X-Division be the X-Divison. Sounds weird to some, but nowadays the X-Division is just a big spot or techfest. If you watched some stuff from 2004-2006 you will see that the matches were much better paced while having even bigger spots at the same time, this is what formula (that made people at WWE events chant TNA whenever they got bored) TNA needs to get back at. No forced spots, no gimmicks, just plain old wrestling.

·
Registered
990 Posts
This thread comes up every now and then and everyone seems to always suggest the same ideas - bring back AJ and Joe, put the belt on Angle, add some international flavour etc etc. But I personally would much rather see the X Division style wrestlers intertwined within the heavyweight and tag divisions as they are now. The main reason why the X Division was so successful back in the day was because the heavyweight division had no star power. I think its time to put the division, as a full time entity, to bed and pay homage to its past success.

Having said that though, there's no reason why TNA can't keep a lot of what made the X Division so good. I personally would love to see the World X Cup and Super X Cup brought back. But pointless feuds like Jay Lethal Vs Robbie E just won't cut it in a promotion with the starpower that TNA has. And putting other guys back in the X Division won't help either. And if you do want a midcard belt to help elevate talent then it should be the TV Title that gets the honour. The only truly viable option that TNA has now would be to go back to just having X Division matches as spotfests to get the crowd going for PPVs. They seem to only be keeping it around to appease the old time fans.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
First of all I would implement storylines.The champion himself is bearly involved in storylines.It's just the boring champion vs challenger fued ,The Doug Williams storyline was one of the only storylines they had in quite some time.Rather than the just the champion being involved in fued ,have other wrestlers involved in storylines because it is a division and not just about the champion and the challenger.

I'd also bring back the special aura the division used to have.I'd limit the amount of Ultimate x matches that happen just to make them fell all that special when they occur.Touranments like the super x cup and World x cup where great too ,they gave that aura and made the division feel special.

International talent would also help the division.Not just for the x-cup ,just on certain occasions .Build up "dream matches" like Samoa Joe /Liger .Bring in dragon gate guys again Cima or Shingo or Doi against any great x division could be promoted as a dream match.

Also the division seems to be lacking in talent really at the moment.The Guns and GenMe are pre occupied by the tag division and should probably stay here.The only other real x division wrestlers that have appeared on telly recently where Williams ,Amazing Red and Lethaland Paul London.You can not base a whole division on four or five people .Numerous roster cuts have to be made before any one else is signed but wrestlers like Pac ,El Generico ,Chuck Taylor,Paul London etc would be perfect for the X division.Tna also have talent exchange programs and should take advantage to bring great lightweight wrestlers in.

Do I see these changes happening anytime soon?....Hell no.
To me the division will never be the same ,simple as .It's a shame too as it used to be Tna's hallmark and promote them as a good alternative to wwe.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Assuming I was in charge of the x-division alone as the thread suggests and I was allowed to book the league for at least 15 minutes a week I'd just let the X-Division be the X-Divison. Sounds weird to some, but nowadays the X-Division is just a big spot or techfest. If you watched some stuff from 2004-2006 you will see that the matches were much better paced while having even bigger spots at the same time, this is what formula (that made people at WWE events chant TNA whenever they got bored) TNA needs to get back at. No forced spots, no gimmicks, just plain old wrestling.
This is exactly what they need to do. If you look at some of the older matches it was very well done wrestling with spots. If you let the wrestlers do what they are good at, AJ, Kaz, Sabin, Lethal, Joe, Shelley, you will get returns from them.

·
Banned
8,557 Posts
The kind of wrestling Regal/Finlay wrestled and the crowd chanted boring? lulz.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The kind of wrestling Regal/Finlay wrestled and the crowd chanted boring? lulz.
Were you watching TNA during this period? They might've done that to Regal and Finlay, but people would applaud when the X division guys started their matches showing the more techincal style of their moveset, then after 5-10 minutes, the match would be more geared towards high flying action

1 - 20 of 43 Posts