Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The King of the Ring tournament which is now something the WWE has retired since the last winner Sheamus in 2010. But I feel like it lost that spark when that tournament ended it just didn't have that same feeling from previous tournaments. If you could bring back KOTR how would you do it and why?

·
Banned
6,752 Posts
It doesn't have the same spark because it's not a PPV concept anymore. That made it feel special.

I'd bring it back on PPV where it belonged. Don't know who I would have win it, depends on when it was brought back.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Barret winning it while forming an all britian stable : Regal, Mcantire, Mason Ryan and Sheamus.
And they will fude with the real americans that got a new member - Chris Hero

·
Banned
1,618 Posts
I'd do it on PPV but once every 3 or 4 years, one problem I've seen with the WWE is it's relying on belts and bells and whistles to elevate guys - but that's now it happens. You can't just slap a crown or belt on a guy and voila he's over.

I also don't want it to be an elaborate way to win another title shot, The Rumble and MITB have already perfected that. KOTR has to have a distinct payoff...but I'm not sure what that is.

I'd like to keep it as a midcard and under tournament but ..is a shot at the IC belt all it used to be? No, it isn't.

I don't see a need for KOTR but I would like to see it back, there's something special about the coronation but it doesn't mean much anymore.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
The same way they did it in 2002 with a pay pew view and the winner getting a shot at the WWE Title. It gives the contender two months of buildup while having a semi fued with the person they beat.

·
Administrator
59,213 Posts
The same way they did it in 2002. The winner gets a World title shot (which ever title they choose) at Summerslam. I'd have both midcard champions in the tourney by default, and then the others will be mid carders and upper mid carders.

I'd drop MITB though. You can't have two concepts that gives out World title shots especially within a month of each other.

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
I agree with dropping MITB. It's an artificial way to keep the WHC relavent. Nothing more. Unify the titles. You can keep the ladder match specific PPV. But drop the MITB concept. And bring back the KOTR. Also I would get rid of the Hell in Cell PPV. And let the Hell in a Cell match be held at King of the Ring every year.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I would make it a PPV and have it replace Elimination Chamber as the Feb PPV where the winner challenges for the title at Mania.

Elimination Chamber could move to June.

I've always felt as if the tounrament should be used to set up the Mania main events.

·
Banned
6,752 Posts
I agree with dropping MITB. It's an artificial way to keep the WHC relavent. Nothing more. Unify the titles. You can keep the ladder match specific PPV. But drop the MITB concept. And bring back the KOTR. Also I would get rid of the Hell in Cell PPV. And let the Hell in a Cell match be held at King of the Ring every year.
Why keep the ladder match idea for a PPV but drop the MITB concept? I don't disagree with unifying the titles but the MITB is a unique concept, I wouldn't drop it. Either unify the belts and have one MITB match or keep both belts but just have one MITB match where the winner can cash in on either world championship.

Also, why have the HIAC match annually at the KOTR PPV? Takes away from the tournament aspect if you focus on a particular kind of gimmick match at the same event every year.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Maybe not on a PPV, but have a big 32 man tournament over RAW and SD, with the Semi Final and Final being on PPV. Mine would be like this.

Final
Cody Rhodes vs Dean Ambrose

Semi Final
Cody Rhodes vs Antonio Cesaro
Dean Ambrose vs Rob Van Dam

Quarter Finals
Cody Rhodes vs Bray Wyatt
Antonio Cesaro vs Dolph Ziggler
Dean Ambrose vs Seth Rollins
Rob Van Dam vs Roman Reigns

Round Of 16
Cody Rhodes vs Fandango
Bray Wyatt vs Darren Young
Antonio Cesaro vs Kane
Dolph Ziggler vs Wade Barrett
Dean Ambrose vs Kofi Kingston
Seth Rollins vs Christian
Rob Van Dam vs Curtis Axel
Roman Reigns vs The Miz

First Round
Cody Rhodes vs Erick Rowan
Fandango vs Jey Uso
Bray Wyatt vs Justin Gabriel
Darren Young vs Hunico
Antonio Cesaro vs Tensai
Kane vs Jinder Mahal
Dolph Ziggler vs Jack Swagger
Wade Barrett vs Santino Marella
Dean Ambrose vs Titus O'Neil
Kofi Kingston vs Luke Harper
Seth Rollins vs Jimmy Uso
Christian vs Drew McIntyre
Rob Van Dam vs Heath Slater
Curtis Axel vs Brodus Clay
Roman Reigns vs R-Truth
The Miz vs Big E Langston

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
They could easily make KOTR one of the PPV's instead of a meaningless PPV like Battleground. There are plenty of guys that can benefit from winning the tournament and make it exclusive to people that haven't won the World or WWE Title yet. Winner gets to choose which title they go after. I'd have Cesaro win it and go after the World Title.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Money in the Bank gets shipped back to Wrestlemania where it belongs. I still think there should only be one MITB ladder match where the winner can go after either title. It makes the WHC more relevant and can inject a bit more surprise into the cash in again. Anything that stops the constant speculation about it on commentary.

This opens up a mid-year slot for a KOTR tournament. The original one night, winner gets a title shot format would be brilliant to have back. The draw can always allow for rivals to meet and progress there storyline as well as there being a great night of in ring action between guys who would not otherwise face each other.

Off the top of my head you would have been able to have Shield members face each other, or have Rhodes and Sandow meet again. The two midcard champions could face off. Some plucky unknown can get a good run into the final before being beat by the eventual winner. The potential for KOTR is massive especially if it got the attention it deserved (and if Cesaro won).

·
OG3
3,387 Posts
winner gets a belt that he can cash in for a title shot

takes the place after the 2nd MITB match

ppv could be after MITB (kind of like royal rumble, elemination chamber)

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
As someone else said, I'd have it in June with the winner getting a world/wwe title shot at summerslam, move money in the bank back to wrestlemania imo. That way the person who wins it looks like they've really earnt it, and the people that come 2nd 3rd or 4th still look strong.

·
Banned
8,180 Posts
I'd call it the "MVP Games" or something instead of King of the Ring to give it a more modern feel. I'd make it more Olympic. The winner would receive a gold medal and a world title shot on one of the big four PPVs of his choosing, the runner up (his final opponent) would get a silver medal and an opportunity for one of the mid card belts whenever they choose. There might be a worthless bronze medal just for really green/new talent who perform well. Just so you can say "give this guy a bit of attention".

Or maybe I'd do something more like a Crucible Challenge. Lotteries are drawn and the guy who gets picked faces a gauntlet of stars. Maybe 3 and if he's still standing, then he faces the Champion. Now say Daniel Bryan takes out Roman Reigns, then Ambrose but falls to Seth Rollins. Lottery goes again and the next guy who gets called up only has to defeat Rollins to get his title shot. So maybe more than a 3 man gauntlet. To make the Crucible more grueling (as crucibles are) you must it to the semi-finals of a tournament to qualify for the lottery.

Neither idea would work well as their own full PPVs but maybe as like a Saturday Night's Main Event 1 and 1/2 hour long special that is essentially pure wrestling with the only premise being these tournaments.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts