Wrestling Forum banner

How would the Smart Marks react to the Attitude Era?

3K views 27 replies 25 participants last post by  SolarPowerBat 
#1 ·
I'm talking about the modern marks. I can see them going meltdown when Austin beat The Rock at WM15. '

''Wah! Austin buried The Rock's career!!!''

#4 ·
The IWC existed then and had plenty of people who hated Austin, Rock or
both. Threads like these are just an excuse to make up stuff to get mad about.

Anyway the people hated most back then was probably Undertaker and Kevin Nash.
Yeah, but did they talked about how the fotc is burying the hottest heel in the business like the example I just gave? From what I've read that they're mostly in-ring marks and hate the promo guys. Also this is just us having fun.

#12 ·
Their would be a lot of bitching about Dean Malenko, Jerry Lynn, Taka, Kaz Hayashi, Billy Kidman, etc deserving the spots that Rock, Austin, Goldberg, Hogan, Taker, etc had.

The Attitude Era would get shit on daily if it were around today.

From non stop DQs, awful matches, stupid storylines and Austin being booked ridiculously strong.

It was a product of its time. And should be left as such.
Product of its time or not, it was a way better product than the boring shit we have today. Their is a reason why Raw and Nitro combined had ratings that somewhat threatened Monday Night Football and even occasionally beat them in the 18-35 year old demo, which is absolutely fucking insane.

#15 ·
SJWS would probably protest outside of arenas and force cities to ban WWF from ever taking place in their arena.

Smarks would demand Essa Rios and Taka Michinoku main event WrestleMania and go in great detail about why they have been held back.

Wrestling bloggers would ignore everything going on in the show and strictly talk about canceling wresters until their eventual release.

#14 ·
They existed back then but they were a tiny minority probably below 1% of the audience. They did nothing but bitch and complain that Austin was stale, The rock sucked, wrestler x can't wrestle and so on. They also made threads talking about how underrated Dean Malenko and Al Snow are.

The sad thing is they are the only fans left, despite a fifty million population increase since 2000 with a lot of the immigrants coming from Mexico which has a wrestling tradition.

#8 ·
In this thread.
Not so clever attempts to needle certain fans to get mad and react with fist shaking!
Said certain fans falling for it like suckers and shaking said fists!
OP loling at the rubes who fell for it.

Reactions: jpickens
#20 ·
I first got on wrestling (And politics) forums around 1998-99. Obviously I’ve been here since the Cena Era was getting pushed hard. Smarks have always been overly reactive and negative.

While even Rock and Austin got some hate, I recall Undertaker and HHH getting the most (And that includes before his relationship with Stephanie. He was still seen to many as the guy who carried Shawn’s bags throughout 96-98 before he had to temporarily retire. Undertaker got flack because of his gimmick and that his wrestling style throughout the early to mid 90s was that zombie-like style before he loosened up later.

The one big difference between now and then that I see is that there were not as many “workrate smarks” as there are today. Even the Meltzer people didn’t emphasize match ratings as much back then.

Also, if you wanna see what the Meltzer smarks thought, check out the observer awards from the 80s and 90s. Pretty sure they were subscriber balloting their awards back then too. People like Hogan and Gorilla Monsoon often got shitted on in the awards section in the 80s.

#25 ·
The one big difference between now and then that I see is that there were not as many “workrate smarks” as there are today. Even the Meltzer people didn’t emphasize match ratings as much back then.
Oh there definitely were.

I remember the mid 90s message boards. It was all pushing Stunning Steve, Natural Dustin Rhodes and Marc Mero. Roll forward a couple of years and they hated Goldust, hated Stone Cold and hated Wild an Marc Mero.

That's the thing with smarks, they root for guys they think no one else is and then when they become popular they turn on them.

Al Snow was the smarks champion for many years.

#21 ·
Different times. Different ‘Attitudes’ and that was a pun intended. Back then, Internet forums while available were scarce but I’m sure there were critics. I think a lot of us look back on those days with rose tinted glasses because of nostalgia as throughout the amazing moments there were some awful shit in there (ahem, Katie vick?) but regardless, it’s hard to predict what 2021 snarks would be like in 1997 because those same smarks in 2021 were much younger 20 years ago and therefore less likely to be critical because WWF was cool back then.

#24 ·
I know he was in WCW but it was in this era, but Goldberg wouldn't have gotten as over as he did, it would have been leaked "oh the plan is for him to hold the title for over 100 matches and then drop it to Nash" and people would have hated seeing him win every week knowing where it was going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.