• By the end of this year?

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Wrestlemania 28?

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • By end of 2012?

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Later.....?

Votes: 7 13.7%

How will you feel when Taker hangs up his boots?

2422 Views 33 Replies 30 Participants Last post by  Evo
He has been entertaining us for the best part of 20 years. He is the most respected guy in the locker room. But how will you feel when he's gone?

His time has got to be running out, he probably should have a retired a couple years back but has continued on a limited schedule. We've got to expect his retirement within the next year or 2. He's not gonna keep coming back forever and I have a horrible feeling this will be his last Wrestlemania (If he is there).

I know he hardly appears nowadays anyway but it will be so wired for WWE not to feature Undertaker any more. No more streak at Mania, No more of his signature matches – HITC, Casket, Buried Alive, Last Ride etc... (featuring him of course).

I'll be honest I will be gutted when he finally goes and really get the feeling that when he comes back , we'll be seeing his last run.

I am a lifelong fan of HBK and Taker but somehow Takers imminent retirement seems more of a daunting prospect than Shawns? I mean with Shawn there are similar guys to fill the gap. (Agreed not at his level). But there is absolutely NO-ONE like the Undertaker and there will be a big dark hole when he leaves. (And no-one to carry Kane any more so I imagine he will be gone soon after).

What do you all think?
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· BOOTS TO ASSES
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once he's gone it will be the end of an era all of the "old school" wrestlers will be gone. There will be no-one left from mid attitude era and before. People like Big Show, E&C etc... will become the oldest guys in company.

I just hope they give him a decent send off, it's gotta be at Mania either this or next one. But hey could do it at Survivor Series where it all began for him?

· Registered
5,432 Posts
Once he's gone it will be the end of an era all of the "old school" wrestlers will be gone. There will be no-one left from mid attitude era and before. People like Big Show, E&C etc... will become the oldest guys in company.

I just hope they give him a decent send off, it's gotta be at Mania either this or next one. But hey could do it at Survivor Series where it all began for him?
Wrestlemania 30 Cena v Undertaker working legend v working legend, Streak v Streak (they should get cena to go on a winning run until wrestlemania 30 so he has unbeaten streak).

It would be biggest match in history and Taker to pass the torch with Cena ending the unbeaten streak.

· Registered
1,362 Posts
That its been a good year or 2 too late...

· BOOTS TO ASSES
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wrestlemania 30 Cena v Undertaker working legend v working legend, Streak v Streak (they should get cena to go on a winning run until wrestlemania 30 so he has unbeaten streak).

It would be biggest match in history and Taker to pass the torch with Cena ending the unbeaten streak.
1. Taker will be gone pretty soon so no chance he'll be in a state to wrestle in 5 years time.

2. By then he would only have a 5-0 streak so not much to shout about, Edge got to that a few years back and they had him loose, in fact I think that was his match with Taker/

3. Why does he need to pass the torch? Who else can take on his role in the company?...No-one.

4. Cena doesn't need "the torch passing" as he is already WWE's biggest asset.

5. The streak will never end, It will probably end at 20-0 next year and Taker will then retire.

· GOAT
4,573 Posts
I think it'll be at Wrestlemania 28, where he has a chance to retire 20-0.

It'll be a bittersweet moment for sure, he's one of the all time great performers/characters, however it'll be good to see him retire with his streak intact, before he does any damage to his body. If they give him a Ric Flair-esque send off then it'll be truly excellent.

· Registered
22,340 Posts
I'll probably just question why I'm still gonna watch current wrestling. I know he isn't around a lot these days, but you always know he's coming back. Knowing he's gone for good will take away the biggest reason I have been watching wrestling for the last 20 years.

I just hope by then some of the younger talent that I like keep getting better and become main eventers so I have a reason to keep watching. Right now the main event scene blows giant chunks. Kane? Edge? Cena? Orton? Miz? Fuck off.

· Registered
1,954 Posts
I think it'll be at Wrestlemania 28, where he has a chance to retire 20-0.

It'll be a bittersweet moment for sure, he's one of the all time great performers/characters, however it'll be good to see him retire with his streak intact, before he does any damage to his body. If they give him a Ric Flair-esque send off then it'll be truly excellent.
This x 1000

Him breaking character could be against the opinion of some but I personally would like to hear from Mark Callaway the man himself on that day. He's been one of my favourites since my early years. I remember the first time i became a fan, i was 5 years old and i saw undertaker wrestle and my first thought was: "he is AWESOME". Everything about him was "cool". His size, strength and definitely his "powers". Undertaker is the reason i became a fan, undertaker was the reason my dad became a fan and undertaker was the reason that even my grandma on my mom's side became a fan of wrestling. To get back on topic, how will i feel?...Well:

Like a part of my passion for this business went with him.

· Man Who's Got a Machine Gun
4,216 Posts
I've been ready to see Taker go for a while now. I never was a huge fan of his (not that I wasn't a fan though). That said, he's great at what he does. I love watching his matches from the 90's with Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold, etc. That is what I'll remember when he decides to hang it up. I just really hope that he retires with the Bad Ass gimmick.

· Registered
2,804 Posts
taker should retire whenever he wants to. i say that, because he doesnt embarrass himself in the ring like others that stay too long. maybe thats just the old school fan in me...and the fact that ive been watching wrestling longer than he's even been in the wwe, and he's been there for 21 years, its just become a habit of watching him. when completely healthy he is one of the best and imo one of the best ever. as long as he can still go when he is healthy, i could see him lasting to WM 29...maybe 30. if he has another serious injury..he might want to hang it up then.

· Registered
7,589 Posts
I have always been a fan of The Undertaker although never being a mark for him as he was never true favorite of mine like Shawn Michaels or Sting were but i honestly believe that the gap he will leave in WWE will be the biggest gap they have ever had to try and fill and i include Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock when i say that. He may have never been the main man in any era like other's have been or the man who would sell a PPV on a match of his alone but for me The Undertaker is completely irreplaceable and WWE will honestly never be the same without him.

When Hulk Hogan left for good in mid 1993 it simply meant that smaller but better wrestler's would be pushed instead like Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart so whilst the ratings and PPV buyrates went down the match quality went up so Hulk Hogan wasn't missed as much as could have been thought. When Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock both left within a month of each other in early 2003 it was truly the end of an era and WWE had lost their top two stars but new people came in and the focus became more on wrestling again rather than entertainment but with The Undertaker where do you go because he was a complete one off as a wrestler and as a character.

I will be sad for the day that The Undertaker does retire because i have watched his whole WWE career from late 1990 through to present day and through the great times in between 1997 and 2001 as well as the bad times in between 1993 and 1995 but i guess that we have seen him slowly phased out over the last few years anyway to lessen the blow of when he does retire for good so that is something WWE have done right in. If The Undertaker had wrestled up til now like he did in between 2006 and 2008 when he was around for almost the entire time and then retired it would have been a much bigger blow because he would have been an integral part of what WWE put out on tv but with him only being around for a few months of the year these days it prepares us and them for when he does go for good.

· BOOTS TO ASSES
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is kinda sad. I mean over the past 20 years we've always been able to say he'll be back. But pretty soon that won't be the case and we have to realise that sooner rather than later he will wrestle his last match and go for good.

The impact of him leaving will be imense, it's hard to imagine WWE without Taker. But can you imagine WRESTLEMANIA without Taker?

· Recognize
21,207 Posts
I'll probably just question why I'm still gonna watch current wrestling. I know he isn't around a lot these days, but you always know he's coming back. Knowing he's gone for good will take away the biggest reason I have been watching wrestling for the last 20 years.

I just hope by then some of the younger talent that I like keep getting better and become main eventers so I have a reason to keep watching. Right now the main event scene blows giant chunks. Kane? Edge? Cena? Orton? Miz? Fuck off.
I feel exactly the same way with Trips lol. He has been gone about a year but knowing he is coming back makes it a lot easier to tune in. When he eventually retires for good and I know he won't be on screen, I seriously hope that the rest of the bunch can keep me truly hooked the way HHH has for all these years.

As for Taker, he's going to leave a massive hole no doubt about it. Same again, I know he has been gone a while but his presence is still there. He's still in the opening SD video etc and we are all wondering when he's coming back. Once he's gone we won't be able to do that anymore. Taker is a larger than life legend right now and while I feel that he is slightly played out at this stage, I will be sad to see him go. It will most definitely be the end of an era.

· Lucy Snorebush
2,155 Posts
Long time overdue. Takers great and all but for me, he doesn't offer what he used to. He needs to put over the next main eventer, Barrett or Del Rio, have his farewell run if he wants one then claim his spot in the Hall of Fame.

· Registered
795 Posts
ive expected it since he came back as the dead man tbh hes looked old since then. he was and is one of the reasons i still tune in to WWE i hope he goes soon not that i want him to but to see him over run his time and look broken down like flair or hogan to me that would be just wrong.

but i would like him to go back to do more though i dont think he could just leave all together. if they brought back the american bad arse some time then he could do more than in the ring work.

however the day he leaves will be a sad day for the WWE.

· Registered
317 Posts
In some respects the way the injuries have played out, it is almost as if there is a natural transition into retirement. If he had left a couple of years ago, that would have undoubtedly left a very big void for WWE to fill. Even with his limited schedule now, the fact that we know he will return keeps the flame of interest burning. Wrestlemania wouldn't be the same without him.

I agree with those who say that he should receive a proper sending off a la Ric Flair, and it would be nice see him break character and to give an opportunity for the real Mark Calaway to address the WWE universe on the night.

· Premium Member
83,359 Posts
He's gone for such long stretches now that I probably wouldn't feel much different then as I do now, to be honest.

Plus he's on Smackdown right now and I don't watch Smackdown very often so I don't get to see him very much when he is active.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.