Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion how well have the AE RAW/Smackdown/PPV's aged?

I started going back and watching old AE stuff a couple years ago just to see if I could enjoy it as much as I did the first time I watched it in the late 90's. Although I'm the biggest AE mark you will ever meet, I gotta say it hasn't aged all that well. I knew it wasn't gonna be AS good the second time I watched it, but I was a little disappointed. The storylines seemed exceptionally weak on the mid/undercard and the in ring work was not as crisp as I thought it was.

The only thing it had going for it was the nostalgia. Which is still enough of a reason for me to re-watch the AE even to this day. But still, it hasn't aged as well as many people would like to think. I compare it to playing N64 current day. It's fun because you get so much nostalgia, but most of the games just haven't aged well. What's your take on watching AE TV about a decade later?

·
Premium Member
15,186 Posts
AE was overrated.

But on a serious note, people still hold it in high regard. You compare it to N64, I say it's more like wine. To some people, it got better with age, mainly when comparing it to how lackluster the current product is. I don't flat out hate it and still view various Youtube clips to this day, I just refuse to watch an entire AE show again.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Or could it be that you already know what happens -_-

I used to watch a lot from the AE on Justin tv and i thought it was still great.

·
Banned
6,531 Posts
There a moments or some matches I like to rewatch somethimes but watching whole shows or ppvs would be kinda boring I think.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
from 1996 to 1999 RAW was TV 14 and here's how it went :

- the first hour of the show was called "Monday Night RAW" and it was TV-PG (nothing too strong for the kids)
- the second hour of the show was called "the Warzone" and it TV-MA (teens and adult oriented only)

the two hour show was called "RAW is WAR" , and when you combine the two hours it's a TV-14 show

good times :D

·
Old School
4,783 Posts
Because you weren't a smart fan at the time. At least not the the extent you are now. You don't notice the flaws when you're a casual. You laugh at Rock's jokes, cheer Austin's badass antics on, and boo the hell out of McMahon. Everything else is irrelevant.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
The earlier years start off a bit dated tbf... but when we get into full swing of the early 2000's there's really something special that nothing in this day and age can touch. (and thats even if thats considered Attitude era, i know it's kinda hazy)

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Calling something over-rated does not mean you hate it . . . . .

e.g.

I think Megan Fox is over-rated. Obv I still would though.
Not because of that post, he just criticises AE every time someone talks about it. Whenever someone brings something positive about it, he just says it's over rated and brings up any 'embarrassing' moments from it just to shame it.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
"attitude era was overrated"

then when you ask why , it's always the same answer : "NO WRESTLINGZ , MAE YOUNG GIVING BIRTH TO HANDZ "

as if every other era didn't have much more cringeworthy moments , or as if RAW today is a two hour wrestling show filled with wrestling and wrestling only

·
Premium Member
15,186 Posts
Not because of that post, he just criticises AE every time someone talks about it. Whenever someone brings something positive about it, he just says it's over rated and brings up any 'embarrassing' moments from it just to shame it.
How did I shame it? I said in a joking manner that it was overrated. Then, I gave my take on the topic, saying that to some, the AE is like wine, it got better with age.

Did you come to this thread in hopes that I will bash the AE? Sorry, but not today. We all know how I feel about it so I don't need to visit every thread and bash it.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
"attitude era was overrated"

then when you ask why , it's always the same answer : "NO WRESTLINGZ , MAE YOUNG GIVING BIRTH TO HANDZ "

as if every other era didn't have much more cringeworthy moments , or as if RAW today is a two hour wrestling show filled with wrestling and wrestling only
Exactly. I have watched some of those 'embarassing' moments such as the Al Snow/Big Show - Big Boss man feud and it wasn't boring. It may have been controversial but certainly not boring. It isn't the sort of stuff that makes you change the channel. The Hornswoggle/guest host concept or Piggie james storylines were boring.

·
Premium Member
15,186 Posts
Exactly. I have watched some of those 'embarassing' moments such as the Al Snow/Big Show - Big Boss man feud and it wasn't boring. It may have been controversial but certainly not boring. It isn't the sort of stuff that makes you change the channel. The Hornswoggle/guest host concept or Piggie james storylines were boring.
First of all, if your name showcases the year you where born, you only know about the AE now and not when it happened.

Also, every era had boring segments and was overrated in some way. Only reason I spoke about the AE in that other thread is because thats what the thread was about. What sense would it make for me to go in a thread thats talking about the AE and whether it was good or not, and go on a rant about how bad WCW sucked in 1991?

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
First of all, if your name showcases the year you where born, you only know about the AE now and not when it happened.

Also, every era had boring segments and was overrated in some way. Only reason I spoke about the AE in that other thread is because thats what the thread was about. What sense would it make for me to go in a thread thats talking about the AE and whether it was good or not, and go on a rant about how bad WCW sucked in 1991?
Well I have been watching a few episodes of the AE and listening to both sides of the arguments to why it was/not good lately so I'm entitled to my opinion to how it was like. Nothing wrong with that, is there?

·
Banned
1,787 Posts
First the attitude era is really not overrated and has not aged badly. People need to realize 911 changed(scared) the world and changed perception a lot.

Television was in general amazing, as was music in the nineties. As was the NBA, NFL and the economy. Shows like the X-files and Raw were not or have not been the same since 2001. The concepts of conspiracies within conspiracies, aka wrestling, aliens or creepy things have become even more taboo or even scary.

Today's world view is depressed, plus put 10 years of aging on the product, no competition since and overhype, to someone first viewing something or who didn't experience the environment and sure it seems overrated. To someone who has seen it and feels that way, you can assume that their feelings are simply because it seems simplified and easy to imitate. By comparison though, the past is almost always better at a period of innovation. That is the attitude era.

·
Premium Member
15,186 Posts
Well I have been watching a few episodes of the AE and listening to both sides of the arguments to why it was/not good lately so I'm entitled to my opinion to how it was like. Nothing wrong with that, is there?
Ask yourself the question in bold, in regards to me saying it's overrated.

However, I really enjoyed the New Age Outlaws, the Oddities, Al Snow & Head and the **** Foley/Rock feud. I don't hate the era, I just think people over hype it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts