Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember watching during that time and thinking what a great heel he was, and undoubtedly the best wrestler in the ring with Shawn Michaels not around that much. His Mic skill wasn't that much better than it is now. Was it just lightning in a bottle and the fact that he was up against two faces(HHH and Cena) who most of the hardcore/ some casuals were sick of by that point? What made him not bland back then, compared to now where it seems like everyone here hates him?

·
Superintendent of the Sacred Coffeechamber
2,669 Posts
The man was truly a "viper" back then. 29 years old and in his prime he was as smooth as ever in his movements, his cleanly shaven look adding to his venomous character, a scary psychopath through and through and perfectly capable of being the top heel in the company. When he first turned face he was still insanely over as he largely remained the same and the fans loved it. I think the turning point was in 2011 when he feuded with Christian. The fans were conflicted since Christian's title being taken away by Orton just two days after he won it made him look very sympathetic despite him being booked as a heel. Plus, the feud coincided with the summer of Punk, and Orton was inevitably overshadowed by Punk. With the fashion that Punk rose to stardom, everyone else felt like an afterthought, and that directly affected Orton since he went from the No. 2 face of the company to No. 3.

In late-2011 he lost to Mark Henry clean and stayed in the midcard for nearly two years until his Authority push, not to mention that 2012 suspension affecting his status for quite a while. It seems like it was during this time that he lost his motivations, and combining with the fact that he was not getting the spotlight, the fans eventually became indifferent to him. He has mostly been a stoic figure with no standout characters since 2012, and the only thing he had going for him is the RKO. He himself even stated in interviews that he doesn't feel the need to shake things up. That would explain it, and I doubt it's going to change anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
-Was in his prime and wasn't burnt out yet.
-Had a unique character which was played to perfection which wasn't stale yet.

Yeah pretty much these two. Orton always had the talent and abillity, but just became stale and burnt out after awhile. He looks like he is just going through the motions in a lot of feuds and relies too much on the RKO to keep him over.

·
Banned
324 Posts
The man was truly a "viper" back then. 29 years old and in his prime he was as smooth as ever in his movements, his cleanly shaven look adding to his venomous character, a scary psychopath through and through and perfectly capable of being the top heel in the company. When he first turned face he was still insanely over as he largely remained the same and the fans loved it. I think the turning point was in 2011 when he feuded with Christian. The fans were conflicted since Christian's title being taken away by Orton just two days after he won it made him look very sympathetic despite him being booked as a heel. Plus, the feud coincided with the summer of Punk, and Orton was inevitably overshadowed by Punk. With the fashion that Punk rose to stardom, everyone else felt like an afterthought, and that directly affected Orton since he went from the No. 2 face of the company to No. 3.

In late-2011 he lost to Mark Henry clean and stayed in the midcard for nearly two years until his Authority push, not to mention that 2012 suspension affecting his status for quite a while. It seems like it was during this time that he lost his motivations, and combining with the fact that he was not getting the spotlight, the fans eventually became indifferent to him. He has mostly been a stoic figure with no standout characters since 2012, and the only thing he had going for him is the RKO. He himself even stated in interviews that he doesn't feel the need to shake things up. That would explain it, and I doubt it's going to change anytime soon.
Holy shit, this perfectly sums up Orton's history from 2009-2012. Honestly from the entirety of 2012 to mid-2013, it seemed like Orton was ruined and he was never going to be pushed again. 1 year and a half consisted of him being suspended, injured and pushed to feuds with Big Show, Sheamus, Kane and Barrett. I didn't think he would ever reach heights to how he was from 2007-2011 again. Mid-2013 to 2014, however, he reached another peak as Face of the Company Orton. The guy won both WWE and WHW titles for Christ's sake. Come 2016 post-injury, it seems like Orton's being looked at differently already. He's no longer a full-time star, but a veteran. Think Triple H in 2007. I think that's his current prestige and it kind of shows. While Orton's had another big push in 2017, however, it did seem lackluster compared to his 2009 push and 2013 push. I'm pretty sure many people disagree, though, as there seem to be many Wyatt Family Orton fans here.

·
Superintendent of the Sacred Coffeechamber
2,669 Posts
Holy shit, this perfectly sums up Orton's history from 2009-2012. Honestly from the entirety of 2012 to mid-2013, it seemed like Orton was ruined and he was never going to be pushed again. 1 year and a half consisted of him being suspended, injured and pushed to feuds with Big Show, Sheamus, Kane and Barrett. I didn't think he would ever reach heights to how he was from 2007-2011 again. Mid-2013 to 2014, however, he reached another peak as Face of the Company Orton. The guy won both WWE and WHW titles for Christ's sake. Come 2016 post-injury, it seems like Orton's being looked at differently already. He's no longer a full-time star, but a veteran. Think Triple H in 2007. I think that's his current prestige and it kind of shows. While Orton's had another big push in 2017, however, it did seem lackluster compared to his 2009 push and 2013 push. I'm pretty sure many people disagree, though, as there seem to be many Wyatt Family Orton fans here.
I think it's important to point out that his 2009 push is very different from his 2013 and 2017 one. The 2009 push focused on his "viper" character which made him a star and a unique presence, so naturally it turned out great for him. The 2013 one though was about him being the company's golden boy, while during the early-2017 one he was simply a typical WWE face. There's nothing unique about these two characters at all. When it comes to playing these roles, Orton was completely exchangable with other top wrestlers. So in these cases, the programs weren't about his own character developments, instead he essentially "took one for the company" because (the company thought that) no one else was ready. Granted, The Rock pulled off both of them in his prime, but Orton is clearly no Rock. If anything, I think the 2013 push should have been given to Roman Reigns and the 2017 one to AJ Styles, but unfortunately the timing just doesn't seem to be right. Both pushes would have happened a year too early for them to be successful.

·
THE NXT CHAMP BAYBAY !
10,846 Posts
He hit his stride with his character which led to some of his best non-legend killer work.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
He beat the living shit out of the Mcmahon family and it was back when Legacy looked like it was the next Evolution.

By the end of the year he was feuding with Cena and I immediately lost interest.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
I can't remember so that says enough about it for me. I liked him best when he was the so-called Legend killer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts