Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you imagine if a wrestler debuted today who was bald on top with dyed blonde horseshoe hair and a village people moustache? he'd probably end up a laughed at jobber. When I was younger Hogan was larger than life, almost super hero like but looking back he just looked like a guy with muscles having a mid life crisis... how was he so 'over' with every fan? his pure wrestling ability and mic skills ?
1610456927799.png

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
His look played a role. He was huge (over 300 pounds), looked like a comic book character. In this pre-internet era, people didn't talk about "mic skills" or "in-ring ability." They just liked the wrestlers who looked cool and seemed cool. And WWF booked Hogan as unstoppable, a guy who never lost. At a time when kayfabe still ruled, Hogan's superman booking drew him a lot of fans.

Lastly - the whole All-American, say-your-prayers, take-your-vitamins gimmick fit the era. Wrestling fans back then were mostly young (whereas wrestling fans are 50 yrs old today), and society / entertainment was more toned down than today. The average fan during Hulkamania (who was just a child) probably didn't ever notice Hogan's hairline or aged appearance; they were just kids.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Middle Aged Champs

Hulk Hogan had slightly more hair early on but always had a bit of horseshoe skullet going on. But he always popped off the screen, even a low resolution 13 inch screen with antennae static.

until steroids and coke started killing off wrestlers by age 40, wrestlers were usually not given their big run at title until their mid-30s or 40s. So for an older wrestling fan, the grizzled warrior look would not be that unusual. Even today, look at the top of the AEW and WWF. A whole lot of older Xllenials who are in their mid 30s to 40s. Bryan, Lesnar, Styles, Jericho, Mockley, Omega, Nakamura, etc. Even Reigns and Rollins are in their mid-30s and have been pushed down our throats for the better part of a decade. Reigns heel turn doesn’t work as well if he wasn’t as weathered and grizzled.

What needs to be remembered about Hulkamania and Hulk Hogan is that he wasn’t a Vince McMahon creation. He was a fully formed and arguably superior character during his final AWA run.

Watch his match against all-time great Nick Bockwinkle on Super Sunday.

Unlike the drug-addled Optimus Prime character of his WWF run, he wasn’t just a poorly endowed super hero in a yellow speedo. He was an almost Stone Cold Steve Austin style ass kicker who was bigger than the infernal heels and happened to be on the side of the fans.

Hogan got over in Japan, with the AWA, as a vain young monster heel, as a powerhouse baby face chasing the title, as a Super Hero and as a cagey selfish old heel champ. He is not my favorite wrestler of all time. As a child, I vociferously cheered for Orndorf, Hennig, Savage, Muraco etc (not Bundy because he looked like a stupid toe)- a stance that put me in a very very distinct minority among 5th graders.

And as a kid, they all looked like old men.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
It’s funny because when I started watching around 92/93-onward, I always viewed guys like him, Flair, Arn Anderson, Macho Man (and a lot of other, mostly WCW, guys) as being “too old”. Which is funny because a lot off them weren’t much older than guys like AJ Styles are today.

·
Registered
12,999 Posts
Time to push the guy with the best hair to the moon. :D

Reactions: jpickens

·
F*** This indy flippy shit
2,562 Posts
Because he was one of the most charismatic wrestlers of all time, looked like a goddamn super hero and could cut a promo. Things people are actually drawn to.

Lastly - the whole All-American, say-your-prayers, take-your-vitamins gimmick fit the era. Wrestling fans back then were mostly young (whereas wrestling fans are 50 yrs old today), and society / entertainment was more toned down than today. The average fan during Hulkamania (who was just a child) probably didn't ever notice Hogan's hairline or aged appearance; they were just kids.
Disagree completely. It wasn't just cause he fit the era at the time. There were alot of bodybuilder type good guys during that era that didn't come close to the success as Hogan.

He also crossed over to mainstream markets like Rocky movies and the A-Team. His appeal wasn't just to little kids, he appealed to adults as well.

Plus he was also the catalyst to the mid-late 90's wrestling boom with the nWo, which was dominated by the 18-35 year old demographic at the time.

His charisma transcended multiple eras and multiple demographics, which is why he is in a class by himself in terms of wrestling draw's.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Because he was around at a time when guys like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone were dominating Hollywood.

Hogan looked like a movie star, he was a huge action hero, oozed charisma, awesome on the mic, had great power moves and could make fans pop just by looking like he was having a fit.

Being honest, I can go back and watch on of his matches from the mid 80s and mark out big time, even knowing his basic, formulaic wrestling because believe it or not, it was exciting.

30 minute flippy floppy matches don't excite. Skinny guys or flabby geeks don't excite. There's a reason why the ratings are crap now because people watch wrestling to see larger than life superstars. Give me a good gimmick like the Big Bossman any day over someone like Kenny Omega.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
He wasn't just the biggest wrestler in North America, because of the reasons mentioned before but in Japan too, he was called Ichiban (number one) by the fans, he was able to wrestle their style and the great Antonio Inoki respected him big time.
He understood the business and knew how to work the crowds everywhere he wrestled.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
In the 80's everything was bigger and bolder.
Hair metal dominated the charts, Arnold and Stallone ruled the box office with their macho movies, A-team dominated the tv series scene, and the number one kids toy was he-man/masters of the universe. A toy line that was specifically designed to look like they could kick any previous action toys butt (Great show about this on netflix btw).

Hogan fit perfectly into this era. He had the muscles of Arnold, and was a good guy who fought for justice like He-man.

But to the kids of the 80's. Hogan was real. He wasnt an actor, he wasnt a cartoon. You could see this larger than life human fight off the bad guys with your own eyes live, and even meet him. He was he-man come to life.

Kids dont know what a receding hairline is, and they dont care.

·
Administrator
59,156 Posts
Aging of today isn't the same as aging in the 80's. If you look back at people in the 80's, so many people in they 20's and 30's looked 10 to 20 years older. So it was natural back then.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Gee, I dunno, probably because he was 6'4 300lbs of muscle, looked like a comic book superhero, could cut a great promo, and had unlimited charisma. I mean, he's only the GOAT of professional wrestling, everyone and their mother knows that anyone can luck into that spot.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
What are you talking about bro? If the WWE gave Johnny Gargano or Adam Cole Hulk Hogans booking, they'd have been twice as big.
Haha yeah that one always cracks me up. It's so easy to make everyone as succesful as Hogan/Austin/Rock. Just book them the same.
Yeah, sure its that easy and anyone can can fill those three's shoes. Wwe just hates making mobey and refuses to do so xD
None of their stock owners (Who lose A LOT of money when WWE stock dips) have any issues with this as well btw. Just one big conspiracy to keep Gargano and Cole down ;)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts