Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO yea, i was watching Smackdown 2000 and just realized it was PG even back then (thought it became PG in like 2002 or something) Leaidng me to ask this:

Considering how any idea on here that might be a little over the top is deemed "NOT PG! CAN'T HAPPEN!" by some of you, i'm wondering how was Smackdown in it's first few years allowed to be PG? Now, I didn't start watching smackdown until 04,and I'm sure it wasn't nearly as crazy and mature as Raw, but seeing some clips of 00-01 smackdown compared to current wwe shows is like the difference between Family Guy and Teletubbies. I mean we saw lingerie contests, blood, revealing clothing, cuss words, and crazy stunts. Don't see those today.

Does this mean if they put on the same exact stuff from WWF Smackdown on to today's programming, it would be ok by the sponsers? Is it possible we could be seeing this type of "change" in the next several months? Was Smackown really PG back then, or should it have been PG-13?

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
The Office is TV PG and they make sexual innuendos/racist remarks/featuer other adult themes too, WWE is just being kid oriented which has proven to be a good busine$$ deci$ion. Said it before and I'll say it again TV PG isn't ruining the product. It's the extreme lack of talent and terrible writing.

Early 90's/late 80's WWF was kid oriented and that featured some of the best wrestling I've ever seen in my life. The reason? The amazing talent.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The Office is TV PG and they make sexual innuendos/racist remarks/featuer other adult themes too, WWE is just being kid oriented which has proven to be a good busine$$ deci$ion. Said it before and I'll say it again TV PG isn't ruining the product. It's the extreme lack of talent and terrible writing.

Early 90's/late 80's WWF was kid oriented and that featured some of the best wrestling I've ever seen in my life. The reason? The amazing talent.
can we please put this on the front page of this website?

this is the answer to every "TV-PG rant"

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
It's because Linda was running for senate. They fired Daniel Bryan because he choked out somebody with a tie, that wasn't because it was PG. It was so nobody would use it against Linda in her campaign, and say that she was manipulating the PG rating or whatever.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
PG doesn't mean you can't use occassional mild profanity (ass,damn,bitch),sexual undertones,innuendo and more graphic violence.Blood is ok providing it isn't focused on or used too often.

It's Mattel and Pepsi that would have a problem with those elements.

·
Childish Gambino Is #1
6,242 Posts

·
Indeed
16,945 Posts
Many people, especially on WF, have a misconception about what PG entails. PG has nothing to do with the childish direction the WWE has undergone. NOTHING. If you honestly believe PG is this juvenile, that's a problem.

However, I will say this - the connotation a rating brings with it can change over time, and sometimes is linked to the social consciousness of the time.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
I second this. The Attitude Era/TV PG threads are pathetic at this point. Get over it. It's not coming back. The Attitude Era is DEAD.

·
Registered
193 Posts
it sure is dead and gone. What people don't realize is the reason why the product was edgy was because the world was edgy. you can't really get away with it anymore.

·
Banned
311 Posts
Here's what most people don't seem to understand. The fact that WWE is PG isn't huring them. It's the fact that no new main event wrestlers are being produced and the storylines are dead boring. They have no creative thought. Also, going PG is a very good business decision since WWE makes almost double the money they made in the attitude era. The only reason why they went that route in the first place was to ensure that he company stayed alive.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Do people even think? Parental Guidance. Children shouldn't be watching it alone. You can go surprisingly far under that. What has happened is that the WWE has CHOSEN not to do some things, they aren't restricted by the rating.

Back To The Future's a PG, at least here, and there's a shooting and at least one 'shit'.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Do people even think? Parental Guidance. Children shouldn't be watching it alone. You can go surprisingly far under that. What has happened is that the WWE has CHOSEN not to do some things, they aren't restricted by the rating.

Back To The Future's a PG, at least here, and there's a shooting and at least one 'shit'.
Back To The Future also had racism, a peeping tom, an attempted sexual assault, And Michael J. Fox's own mother trying to seduce him.

I'd a hit it.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
In my country, Alien Resurrection was shown on TV last week and it was rated PG. Everything's relevant I guess.

·
Registered
376 Posts
PG doesn't mean childish, unrealistic characters, or silly storylines. WCW was PG when it was kicking WWE in the ass every Monday night in ratings. They were able to provide mature characters and storylines within a PG rating. You can do a lot of great content if you know how to be creative.

It's all about great writing and characters... that's what makes for a good TV show. And right now regardless of the TV rating. WWE isn't doing a great job of that. But the bottom line is the move to PG was a great business move.

·
Banned
7,852 Posts
More could be done in 2000 in PG than it can these days. Times change, so do rules... Some PG shows etc. have blood. So why can't wrestling? Simples this blood is real! and I think Vince would like to take care of his wrestlers by not giving them such a problem. It's easier to say no blood than it is to allow it. It doesn't add anything to feuds unless its like mega intense..

Anyways I'm spouting gibberish as always, so no idea what im talking about :lmao.

·
"Night's Watch! With Me!"
8,030 Posts

/thread

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
It's because Linda was running for senate. They fired Daniel Bryan because he choked out somebody with a tie, that wasn't because it was PG. It was so nobody would use it against Linda in her campaign, and say that she was manipulating the PG rating or whatever.
Oh what I would give to have a mind like yours again..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts