Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How successful was Lance Storm in wCw? Would you consider him a success at all? What's Lance storm's legacy? Do you see him as a legend in the industry?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Id say he did very well in WCW but that's not saying much as WCWs title meant nothing by then but that wasn't his fault, if anything he made them mean a little more at the end. I think he's along the lines of Dean Malenko being a great technical wrestler but with the charisma of a cardboard box as individuals better in a tag team with someone who has the verbal skills to compliment their wrestling skills.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using VerticalSports.Com App

·
Banned
4,096 Posts

yes very and that's not getting into the "if i can be serious for a minute" character they gave him

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
He was actually pretty fun back in ECW, and in WCW he had every title except the big one. To me, he's one of the best technical wrestlers of all time.

·
Anti-Hero
9,798 Posts
His schtick was one of the best things going in WCW during that period. But I'm Canadian so maybe I'm a little biased.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Very successful, and i'm glad i can say that. His Canadian Champ run was gold and he more then deserved it. From the classics he put on in the ECW, though the ones he gave us in WcW all the way to his UnAmerican stuff with Regal and his recent RoH bouts as the grizzled old veteran. Lance Storm always gave you your money's worth and often much more.

·
Banned
4,096 Posts

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I would say he was very successful in WCW, for such a short time. They seemed to be throwing all of their eggs in his basket, and I could have seen him main eventing. In my opinion, in late WCW Lance Storm was one of the things WCW got right, despite things around him being woeful.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
a nobody. he only got "big" when WcW was dead
I agree, sure he held three titles at once, but he still was pushed during the dying days of WCW, he drew shit, zero personality, failed push and I can probably name 60-70 names just in WCW that was more successful than him.
Sure he was a great technical wrestler, who held three titles at the same time. But in all his push failed (like most of stuff in WCW at the time). IMO Lance storm was not even close that have that IT factor to become succesful. That does not mean I did not enjoy some of his matches, but he simply did not have what it took

Reactions: Defei

·
Registered
21,618 Posts
He had all the titles except one, pretty damn successful I'd say. His legacy is great wrestler, not much on personality. Same as Dean Malenko.

This is an industry where titles are handed to you, with that being said you cannot judge success on how many title he held.

If you're to look at how successful he was you can look at it from 2 angles,

a) How much money he made.
b) Did he get over?

As far as the first point goes, we have no exact number but he's said in shoot interviews that he was paid handsomely by WCW and from what we know about Turner's company, I'd be inclined to believe him. So as far as the financial point goes, I'd say his run was a success.

Then we have the question of him being over. This is debatable as it would be different from city to city and fan to fan. However, I became a big fan of Lance Storm while he was in WCW and I believe he would have picked up a bunch of fans while he was there, so to some extent he was a success in getting over and making a name for himself on an international stage.

·
Banned
4,096 Posts
I agree, sure he held three titles at once, but he still was pushed during the dying days of WCW, he drew shit, zero personality, failed push and I can probably name 60-70 names just in WCW that was more successful than him.
Sure he was a great technical wrestler, who held three titles at the same time. But in all his push failed (like most of stuff in WCW at the time). IMO Lance storm was not even close that have that IT factor to become succesful. That does not mean I did not enjoy some of his matches, but he simply did not have what it took
if numbers mean more to you than people then you need to get out of this hobby

This is an industry where titles are handed to you, with that being said you cannot judge success on how many title he held.

which is why you make the hand out legit in case it was real by showing your metal in the ring against someone not as good

·
Banned
2,765 Posts
Isn't weird the he is sitting there and preaching about wrestling week in and week out? He is also a trainer.

He was great in the ring but as far as gimmick, catchphrase, promos he wasn't very good at at all? So what gives him the right to be the end all be all of wrestling?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Personally, I thought he was great. He could wrestle with anybody. The WCW creative team was shit, and he was given the Anti-American schtick. I think his WCW run was pretty entertaining, and I really hated when he would say "If I could be serious for a minute" (i.e. he was doing his job)

He wasn't the most charismatic, but it's all about what you are given by creative, and he did the best with what he had.

Isn't weird the he is sitting there and preaching about wrestling week in and week out? He is also a trainer.

He was great in the ring but as far as gimmick, catchphrase, promos he wasn't very good at at all? So what gives him the right to be the end all be all of wrestling?
What in the sam hell are you talking about? If you want to get all pissed because the guy has an opinion, I would say you should probably close your account on this site, because you have an opinion, and as far as I know, your gimmick, catchphrases and promos suck too.

·
Banned
2,765 Posts
He wasn't the most charismatic, but it's all about what you are given by creative, and he did the best with what he had.
No it's not. Steve Austin wasn't "given" anything by the creative. He did it on his own.
What in the sam hell are you talking about? If you want to get all pissed because the guy has an opinion, I would say you should probably close your account on this site, because you have an opinion, and as far as I know, your gimmick, catchphrases and promos suck too.
I'm sure he is a good guy. He should critique the in-ring wrestling not the other stuff as he evidently wasn't that good at it.

·
Administrator
59,104 Posts
They pushed him great, but shit booking made him look like a joke, and just another guy. When they had him hold three titles at once, Nash should of never came out and Powerbombed Storm for absolutely no reason right after Storm won the 3rd title. That undermined what was suppose to be one hell of an accomplishment.

They also wasted Storm's World title match on Nitro with no build. It was acknowledged that Storm was automatically the number 1 contender since he held the US title, and that he was going to challenge Booker for the title that night. Storm loses and that's it! It should of been built to a PPV and Storm should of won. That's right. Every fan's dream. Storm would of held the World title, US title, cruiser weight title and hardcore title all at once.

·
Registered
464 Posts
No it's not. Steve Austin wasn't "given" anything by the creative. He did it on his own.

I'm sure he is a good guy. He should critique the in-ring wrestling not the other stuff as he evidently wasn't that good at it.
A. Steve Austin was built nicely with good booking, and awesome storylines. He was also fantastic on the Mic, and real. How can you even possibly compare the two?

B. As I said. Are you really good at the creative/storyline side of wrestling? Because if not, I would close all social media and anything else you post on, because you apparently aren't entitled to your own opinion.

·
Banned
4,096 Posts
They also wasted Storm's World title match on Nitro with no build. It was acknowledged that Storm was automatically the number 1 contender since he held the US title, and that he was going to challenge Booker for the title that night. Storm loses and that's it! It should of been built to a PPV and Storm should of won. That's right. Every fan's dream. Storm would of held the World title, US title, cruiser weight title and hardcore title all at once.
dude, no offense but Bam Bam Bigalow would have been a more belivebale wcw world champ than storm, though i would have given storm a couple more years to be a shawn michaels style a**-kicker and if Booker,Bam Bam Mike Awesome, none of the thrillers (and Steve corino if rumors were to be belived) wouldnt be ideal champs at the time

1 - 20 of 22 Posts