Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im too young to really be aware but was it a deal of the moment he joined they got huge or was it over a period of time that they got bigger and competed w/ WWE? If so how long?

I know this is the TNA section but It's related to TNA as I am curious if theres any possibility of it happening to TNA at all.

·
These days I find beauty as depressing as years be
13,975 Posts
From Wiki
Beginning in 1994, Bischoff declared open war on McMahon's WWF and aggressively recruited high-profile former WWF superstars such as Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage to work for WCW. Using Turner's monetary resources, Bischoff placed his faith in established stars with proven track records. Due to their high profiles, however, Hogan and Savage were able to demand concessions, such as multi-year, multi-million dollar contracts and creative control over their characters. This would later become a problem during subsequent years of competition with the WWF, as other wrestlers were able to make similar demands, and contract values soared out of control. Hogan in particular was able to gain considerable influence through a friendship with Bischoff. Hogan's considerably hefty fee of $700,000 per pay-per-view appearance would cost the company dearly in future years. He was paid this amount whether the pay-per-view was successful or not. Another thing Bischoff may have failed to consider was the fact that many WCW fans (especially those who had followed the company since its NWA days) watched it as an alternative product to the WWF that focused on in-ring action as opposed to cartoonish characters and storylines. As such, these fans viewed Bischoff's signing of former WWF talent as an attempt to copy its success instead of remaining true to the idea of WCW being an alternative to the WWF.
Nevertheless, WCW's first major pay-per-view event since Hogan's hiring, Bash at the Beach, saw the former WWF mainstay cleanly defeat Ric Flair for the WCW World championship. The two had worked for the WWF at the same time from 1991 to 1992, and a feud was teased between them, but the big-money match originally planned for WrestleMania VIII was changed to Flair/Savage and Hogan/Sid. When WCW delivered the match, the event drew a high buyrate by WCW standards due to mainstream intrigue and hype. Despite being a critical and financial success, the glory would not last, as the Hogan/Flair feud would only result in one more match (at Halloween Havoc) and the hope for long-term effects on pay-per-view buyrates and ratings did not materialize. Turner management came to this realization when they checked up on the state of the company in mid-1995. Hence, Bischoff called Turner and requested a private meeting, which he was granted.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
2 years. He debuted at Bash At The Beach 1994 and finally caught their big break at Bash At the Beach 1996.

However, Hogan didnt do jack shit for WCW in terms of ratings and buyrates. They were still getting ass kickings from the WWF every damn time. Not to mention after a fantastic product in 1989 to 1993, the product became an abomination in Hogan's days where they focused on the absurd dungeon of doom and other shitty storylines and bad wrestling.

The only reason Hogan isnt considered as a giant colossal failure for WCW, was the nWo. Because until that point, he and his crew were costing them more than they brought in.

So to answer your question, no. I guaran damn tee he wont have the same effect at this point. Its too late. Its all been done. All he is to TNA now, is a cancer.

·
Banned
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, cool. From the sounds of it things are pretty much on track then. Hopefully TNA can get that big break.

·
Registered
11,931 Posts
I disagree, Hogan did a lot for WCW in his first two years. They were beating WWE in ratings every other week. Dungeon of Doom was a critical failure but financial/ratings/ppv success. Monster truck showdown on ppv between Hogan and Show actually drew a pretty big buyrate. It was a product promoted to kids to extreme levels but it work. Business was up for house shows as well around that time. Look at WCW in 1995 compare to 1992. In the early 90's, you would literally see half of the buildings empty for ppvs. That all change in 94 when Hogan showed up.

Despite how much people hated Dungeon of Doom, it work because it was a simple heel vs. babyface storyline.

TNA got bigger problems. Russo

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
They got big pretty much instantly. His 1st match against Flair at Bash at the Beach made the most money and had the highest attendance. After that, he started to get stale, and was put in God Awful storylines like the Dungeon of Doom.

1995 was pretty much a bad year all around in wrestling. The WWF was really down, and WCW Nitro had good ratings, but it wasn't a very good show.

Things didn't get really good until the NWO came about.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
I disagree, Hogan did a lot for WCW in his first two years. They were beating WWE in ratings every other week. Dungeon of Doom was a critical failure but financial/ratings/ppv success. Monster truck showdown on ppv between Hogan and Show actually drew a pretty big buyrate. It was a product promoted to kids to extreme levels but it work. Business was up for house shows as well around that time. Look at WCW in 1995 compare to 1992. In the early 90's, you would literally see half of the buildings empty for ppvs. That all change in 94 when Hogan showed up.

Despite how much people hated Dungeon of Doom, it work because it was a simple heel vs. babyface storyline.

Hogan had some good effects, but lets face it. Him, Savage, and all the dozens of guys they brought in specifically for Hogan and the new WCW initiative were not cheap. It bloated the company. Take Lanny Poffo, he earned millions and never showed up for work a single day! WCW was once streamlined, efficient, and good. What Bischoff and Hogan did was annihilate the budget so that no matter how much they made, it was all short term and outweighed by the costs. They were probably spending atleast triple what Vince was, just to keep up with him. By 1996 Hogan had almost completely ceased to be relevant anyways.

To me, its just hard too justify. WCW had some fantastic, pure, raw talent at the time. Imagine if they pushed Stunning Steve Austin at the time instead of all the oldies?

·
Banned
8,557 Posts

Bertha Faye outdrew Hogan and when and Alundra Blaze main evented Raw in 1995. Raw got a 2.6 and Nitro 2.2

·
Registered
9,486 Posts
It really got big in the beginning of 97 imo..About 3 years after he joined, but I guess some could say middle of '96 when they got Hall & Nash because to get those two guys was really saying something at the time back then

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Uh, Hogan joining WCW was a huge, huge deal. Hogan was still the most well-known wrestler in the world adn brought more attention to WCW immediately.

There's no chance of it happening in TNA for two reasons:

1. Nobody gives a shit about wrestling anymore.
2. Hogan is a C-List celebrity.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
It wasn't until the Outsiders turned up that WCW began to get global, but they were always quite big before that.

·
Banned
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think if TNA sign a couple big names akin to Anderson and hardy oveer the next two years it'lll get people talking. Apparently WWE guys arent happy because of the soma and painkiller ban so I can see people leaving eventually

·
These days I find beauty as depressing as years be
13,975 Posts
Jeff Hardy joining should have done the same but it didn't. :(
How so? He wasn't a ratings draw when he became champ(in WWE), his feud with cm punk were in the 1.6 range. And before anyone questions it, after Hardy left and Taker became champ, his feud with Batista spike the ratings to the 2.0 range.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
i dont need to read anything from this thread

short answer, two years

long answer,if you are insisting that its gonna take that long too get a great idea like the nwo (which was originally intended for nash hall AND Bret Hart} in order for tna to finally turn everything around justifying all the backwash that will occur inbetween, THEN YOU CAN F*** OFF!!

Reactions: soir8

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Hogan definitley created a buzz right off the bat, but yeah about two years... but also, WCW was far bigger than TNA beforehand. When big WCW stars came over to WWE it was a pretty big deal, and people knew them, like flair, steiners, road warriors etc. What would happen if Samoa joe came over or Matt Morgan made his triumphant return to WWE? basically nothing. Its really not that comparable, WCW was fairly decent competition even before hogan showed up.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,747 Posts
Alright, cool. From the sounds of it things are pretty much on track then. Hopefully TNA can get that big break.
:lmao

yeah, they are totally on track to have it not happen to them.
you realize the Hogan now isn't NEARLY the same icon as Hogan in the 90's, right?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts