Wrestling Forum banner

How should AEW and ROH interact?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Not at all.

ROH died for a reason.
The pandemic killed their crowds. Then their owner dropped them from their syndication deal on their networks.

Letting the contracted talent out of their deals immediately afterwards decimated their roster and the identity of the promotion practically vanished as fast as the wrestlers did.

That is why ROH…died.

Only to raise its zombified corpse up from the grave feeding off the healthy living AEW’s airtime.

I always figured ROH would start up again in some form. The regular use of the ROH brand on AEW time never bothered me because I was always confident that ROH would return as a promotion in some form sooner rather than later. Call me naive.

Even just being on YouTube would be helpful in familiarizing interested people with (ideally) weekly ROH programming.

The pandemic killed their crowds. Then their owner dropped them from their syndication deal on their networks.

Letting the contracted talent out of their deals immediately afterwards decimated their roster and the identity of the promotion practically vanished as fast as the wrestlers did.

That is why ROH…died.

Only to raise its zombified corpse up from the grave feeding off the healthy living AEW’s airtime.

I always figured ROH would start up again in some form. The regular use of the ROH brand on AEW time never bothered me because I was always confident that ROH would return as a promotion in some form sooner rather than later. Call me naive.

Even just being on YouTube would be helpful in familiarizing interested people with (ideally) weekly ROH programming.

ROH died because a second major wrestling company popped up and was ready to take all their available talent. The pandemic just hastened that process.

Reactions: somerandomfan
Developmental.

Just like NXT, it can be the show where the future of AEW is moulded whilst also not needed or talent needing a repackage from AEW can be sent to try again, so to speak. If no TV deal, use ROH to replace Elevation and/or Dark.

ROH was built on in ring talent so keep that the focus but also try to experiment with match types, stories and gimmicks.

It should be developmental. ROH is nowhere near the level it was when they were giving us Danielson vs McGuinness. Nobody cares anymore.

Reactions: Bahn Yuki
I don’t even know what Rampage, Elevation and Dark are? I’m assuming the former is Smackdown to Dynamite’s Raw? Wtf are the other two?

Have it as just pure wrestling no or very little storyline no bells and whistles for a TV show just pure wrestling matches for the people who creative have nothing for during story lines get rid of elevation too

Developmental first. Close the doors second.

ROH Dark on youtube equivalent to NXT LVL Up. Jobbers vs potential hires.

ROH Elevation on youtube equivalent to NXT. Keep mens world, womens world, men tag, women tag, scrap all other belts.

Becoming 'All Elite' should mean something, which it currently doesn't.
Now you're talking.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Separate brand with occasional crossover but mostly split rosters, I'm not opposed to bringing ROH wrestlers up to AEW or AEW rosters down to ROH for a match here and there but the way things are now just seems to be confusing people, and while it works for some of us who watched ROH while it was its own thing, clearly it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Put Claudio Castagnoli, Bryan Danielson, Samoa Joe, and CM Punk on ROH. Try to bring back the stars which made that company so hot in the first place, since you know, you have all of the names I mentioned under contract. Keep the shows separate. However, Tony is a fucking moron and wouldn't allow ROH to outshine AEW. Not sure why, money is money. Essentially two brands.

Ring of Honor would be the "honorable" brand, while AEW is the "New Era" brand. I wouldn't have the stars square off in the ring except maybe once a year, tops. Most of the time it would simply be shit talking on social media, and on live television, but never in the same ring. Tony Khan could have Omega, and the Young Bucks remain in AEW. Moxley, MJF, and many others. I'm not sure what happens with FTR, as they could do either promotion, but I would prefer them on AEW.

None of this really works without cutting the fat off of both rosters. Then, signing some talent that has been on live television for years. Pay up and get talent on these rosters.

For the vast majority of the time, keep them separated, with two exceptions.

1. Your highest level ROH guys can appear on AEW TV here and there to help promote the ROH show. An occasional match is fine.

2. One special PPV a year that gets special matchups between AEW/ROH guys.

Otherwise, keep them on their respective shows, so I guess option 2?
I agree. Have their biggest stars show up every once in awhile to feud with a star from AEW and on some ppv. But keep them mostly separate. I voted for them to be AEW development territory. It would benefit the young AEW talent to send them to ROH first then when ready bring them back to AEW.

None of the options offered suit me. A mix of option 1 and option 3, with more frequent crossovers, would be my choice. I don't want people like Claudio and Athena to disappear from AEW television.

But then I don't want the AEW most here want. I like crossovers and a constant stream of visiting talents. If AEW is going to be all about storylines focused on a handful of the same people every week, I'm out.

But then I don't want the AEW most here want. I like crossovers and a constant stream of visiting talents. If AEW is going to be all about storylines focused on a handful of the same people every week, I'm out.
That's one of the best features for me too. Forbidden Door was my show of 2022 and a success for AEW. Don't think you're in the minority, WF doesn't represent the wrestling community at all. There's a lot of WWE fans on here who want AEW to have the WWE type self-contained universe, but AEW is doing what nearly every non-WWE promotion does and interacting with the wrestling world at large. TNA used to have the X Cup with teams from four different countries. There is room for your own home talent doing storylines and visiting guests bringing novelty and freshness.

I doubt this will stop as TK has working relationships with so many companies and he's big on the Forbidden Door stuff. It does sound like ROH could have more of it than AEW TV though, since it's harder to insert guests into a live weekly show. Whereas with ROH, he'll probably be taping batches of TV over one or two days, so can do some programs for them.

Reactions: GothicBohemian
That's one of the best features for me too. Forbidden Door was my show of 2022 and a success for AEW.
Same. Crossovers among larger promotions are something I've been wanting for years.

Don't think you're in the minority, WF doesn't represent the wrestling community at all. There's a lot of WWE fans on here who want AEW to have the WWE type self-contained universe, but AEW is doing what nearly every non-WWE promotion does and interacting with the wrestling world at large. TNA used to have the X Cup with teams from four different countries. There is room for your own home talent doing storylines and visiting guests bringing novelty and freshness.
Oh, I know WF is unique. The majority of folks I speak to both within wrestling and as fans only all want less separation and more excitement. AEW has been delivering what the IWC has been begging for - kayfabe, surprises, variety, less focus on unbeatable FOTC types, and crossover dream matches. A lot of the time, folks just love to complain.

WF skews older - not saying that's a bad thing - than most online wrestling conversation spots do and so there's more nostalgia for wrestling from decades ago. This is also a very WWE-centric forum and the regulars have been complaining about that promotion forever. Too much positivity isn't going to sit well here.

I doubt this will stop as TK has working relationships with so many companies and he's big on the Forbidden Door stuff. It does sound like ROH could have more of it than AEW TV though, since it's harder to insert guests into a live weekly show. Whereas with ROH, he'll probably be taping batches of TV over one or two days, so can do some programs for them.
I wish he'd found a less expensive home for ROH, but I understand why he couldn't. If it were added to an existing platform that offered more than ROH material, or if the PPVs were folded into the monthly subscription fee, I'd be more inclined to pay. From the sounds of it, the new ROH is going to be closer to my ideal promotion while AEW is about to move further into a WWE/late TNA direction.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.