Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like many of you on here, I wasn't alive to see Gorgeous George. But from what I've been reading, he seems to have been a mainstream figure: Bob Dylan, Mohammed Ali, and James Brown directly cited Gorgeous George as inspirations; he had a major role in a 1949 movie titled "Alias the Champ" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alias_the_Champ); he appeared in a 1951 Bugs Bunny cartoon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunny_Hugged); promoters like Jack Pferer would send out fake "Gorgeous George" wrestlers to try to capitalize on the original Gorgeous George's drawing ability; and at his peak, Gorgeous George allegedly made more money than Hank Williams and about the same amount as Joe DiMaggio.

It's hard, if not impossible, to compare people from his era to modern-day figures, but is there a case for Gorgeous George as, say, a top 10 draw? How do we rank him, if at all?

G.G. was actually a contemporary of Lou Thesz. Do we know if G.G. was a bigger draw than Thesz?

·
Likes wrestling....
14,144 Posts
There's also a case for Jim Londos.

One of the reasons these guys were houshold names is that they came from an era where most everyone in Amercia read the newspaper, and up until the late 50's the American press largely covered Wrestling as if it were legitimate.

So a guy like Londos was covered like the Babe Ruth of wrestling.

And Wrestling was very popular.

Now George on the other hand arrived a little later when honestly some larger markets had exposed wrestling (New York), but he still maintained newspaper coverage and George benifited from being the biggest attration on the growing phenomenon, television.

George was featured on the Dumont Network a network that piped out wrestling content to the US. Most folks in the 50's had at best two or three options to watch. Wrestling was a cheap easy draw. It was massivley popular during the mid 50's. Growing up in the 70's my grandfather talked about George as did my father, who was not a wrestling fan, but he knew Georgeous George.

Most Americans living in the 50's and 60's knew who Georgeous George was, because he was a crossover pop culture star.

I do think it is fair and hard to compare at the same time. In a sport you can compare atheletes against their "competition"/ counterparts, so a guy like Ruth can be compared to lets say Barry Bonds, if we also consider how much better each was than his contemporaries.

And while wrestling is a work I think it is also fair to say a guy like George who was the top draw of the "Golden Age" should be treated as such. I always include him in any top ten list I make, and I often consider him just outside the "Rushmore". Obviously just my opinion.

·
ROWDY RODDY PIPER
Queen Cobra
35,555 Posts
Oh man, like 10 years ago here (might have been more) I made a very aggressive rant cuz people automatically thought of the loser female who should have never had the name and it pissed me off cuz I love Gorgeous George, he’s one of my favorites :LOL:

I love his whole character, he was awesome, it would have been great to be able to see him wrestle live. If they ever invent time machines, that’s where I’m going lol

Piper will always be my favorite of all time and my personal GOAT, but, if we going to look at wrestling as a whole, this is the man who started a lot of what we see today, the true GOAT.

·
Banned
1,192 Posts
Oh man, like 10 years ago here (might have been more) I made a very aggressive rant cuz people automatically thought of the loser female who should have never had the name
Yeah that was really annoying. Even worse considering WCW had the actual grand-nephew of Gorgeous George under contract around the same time and could've used the name for him, instead he became "The Maestro"

George was big and had a legacy. Even here in Germany you knew about him. Peter William would drop his name on occassion on WCW TV (his commentary colleagues, all clueless kids basically, would go "huh?")

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Yeah that was really annoying. Even worse considering WCW had the actual grand-nephew of Gorgeous George under contract around the same time and could've used the name for him, instead he became "The Maestro"

George was big and had a legacy. Even here in Germany you knew about him. Peter William would drop his name on occassion on WCW TV (his commentary colleagues, all clueless kids basically, would go "huh?")
I remember at the time the commentators stated that Randy Savage owned the rights to the name Gorgeous George or some bollocks. Not sure how true that was

Like many of you on here, I wasn't alive to see Gorgeous George. But from what I've been reading, he seems to have been a mainstream figure: Bob Dylan, Mohammed Ali, and James Brown directly cited Gorgeous George as inspirations; he had a major role in a 1949 movie titled "Alias the Champ" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alias_the_Champ); he appeared in a 1951 Bugs Bunny cartoon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunny_Hugged); promoters like Jack Pferer would send out fake "Gorgeous George" wrestlers to try to capitalize on the original Gorgeous George's drawing ability; and at his peak, Gorgeous George allegedly made more money than Hank Williams and about the same amount as Joe DiMaggio.

It's hard, if not impossible, to compare people from his era to modern-day figures, but is there a case for Gorgeous George as, say, a top 10 draw? How do we rank him, if at all?

G.G. was actually a contemporary of Lou Thesz. Do we know if G.G. was a bigger draw than Thesz?

Don't forget Abe Simpson had a Gorgeous George spinoff in The Simpsons called Glamorous Godfrey.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts