1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
It was huge at the time and it brought a lot of fans back to watching, myself included. But I do think he just stayed a bit too long and Rock vs Cena II was a bad idea for Wrestlemania, I can understand WWE wanting Cena to get a win back but they should've done it as Summerslam instead.

·
Fear, Fruity Pebbles, and Possum Piss
4,600 Posts
The best way to gauge this is to look at what this forum was like in the years BEFORE The Rock ever came back.

Haters were all, "Rock sold out", "he's a movie star, he'll never come back", "he used wrestling to make it in Hollywood" etc. People were adamant that Rock would NEVER EVER come back. It was a pipe dream, a fantasy.

Cut to February 7th, 2011 and Vince announces on RAW that next week the guest host of Wrestlemania will be revealed. The live crowd didn't seem interested, and there were stories that Vince was upset at the reaction for his announcement.

For a week, the likes of Bob Barker, Justin Bieber, Will Smith and others are rumoured to be the host. Bob Barker in particular seemed to be doing the most rounds in the rumour world.

Rocky starts a Facebook account and Twitter account on February 14th. On Facebook, he posts a picture of himself posing in the ring in 2000 and says "Get ready...DJ" and then people start getting excited/nervous/ready for a letdown. People HOPED it would be The Rock coming out on RAW but we knew not to trust WWE's "big" announcements because they usually failed to deliver.

I woke up at 4am on Tuesday morning in the UK to try and skim through RAW to see if The Rock showed up. I had a 14 hour shift that day but I had to know before I went to work.

John Cena opens the show and talks about the guest host, and there's a little "Rocky" chant that breaks out which Cena acknowledges. He casually says his pick is pretty "Rock solid" but at that point, probably due to tiredness, I didn't get what he was saying.

Cut to the end of the show....

As you can hear and see, that place literally exploded. That was 7 years of waiting and hoping he'd show up one day in the ring again. He came back in 2008 to induct his family into the Hall Of Fame, and he interacted with the crowd and got a great response but it wasn't the same as being live in the arena and walking down the aisle again. I swear to God, I jumped up and cheered in my house like a mad man.

The following week, when Rock is shown on screen the fans go nuts again even though he's not there. From what I've read, the weeks after his return shows sold out with fans hoping The Rock would show up. Twitter, Facebook and the general internet went mental when he returned. This forum was HILARIOUS when he came back.

Sceptics on here were like, "he'll host Mania and then he's gone...no way will he get physical because it will ruin his movie career". So, he gets physical on the go-home RAW from Chicago, at Mania and the post-Mania RAW.

Then, people were saying he would never ever wrestle again in a million years. Rock vs Cena is announced and then a few months later he wrestles in a tag match at Survivor Series. He faces Cena at Mania, eventually comes back and becomes champion in a feud with CM Punk and then puts over Cena in a rematch at Mania 29.

He perhaps didn't need to be champion and face Cena again because people weren't really that interested in a rematch. The Rock got the victory in Miami and it was the perfect Wrestlemania moment. But of course, Cena had to get his "win" back.

Sorry for rambling, but Rock coming back was such a huge deal for me. They did their best to ruin the whole thing by making the Rock/Cena feud all about Cena calling Rock out for not being full time and trying to make it seem like Rock didn't care. They tried their hardest to make Cena's popularity increase to make the match seem 50/50 but they tried it at the expense of Rock's popularity and the crowds each week were like "meh" whenever Cena started rambling about how he was there every night and Rock wasn't.

It SHOULD have been simple....two huge icons going at it on the grand stage. The story didn't need to any more complex than that but WWE did their best to ruin the whole thing.

Overall, I think Rock's return was VERY over. Although the crowds were mixed when he faced Punk earlier this year, there was barely ever any boos towards The Rock from 2011-2013 so I think it was a giant success.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Snoozefest and a complete bore throughout, it only got interesting when CM Punk entered the feud because it added an element of unpredictability but it drew a lot of money and that is what they business is about.

The Rock is a Wrestling Goat and a successful Hollywood actor and it always was going to boost money and numbers.

If he isn't at WM30 I would love to see Wrestlemania 30 do better than WM29 or WM28.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I FORGOT ABOUT THE HIGH HEELS :lmao

Rock's return was massive at the time. I remember when most people on this forum actually liked him... :rock

·
Banned
541 Posts
Snoozefest and a complete bore throughout, it only got interesting when CM Punk entered the feud because it added an element of unpredictability but it drew a lot of money and that is what they business is about.

The Rock is a Wrestling Goat and a successful Hollywood actor and it always was going to boost money and numbers.

If he isn't at WM30 I would love to see Wrestlemania 30 do better than WM29 or WM28.
It shouldn't, but it might.

Every Wrestlemania seems to do better than the last at the moment, due to influx of new fans every year.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts

It'll only do better if they want it to do better. Since Rock's return they've prominently featured Cena and the streak at Mania. Needless to say that's the match that should go down.

·
Banned
8,180 Posts
It was pretty fucking big at the time. Being totally honest, I didn't care initially. But it turned out that I liked the feud, the match was definitely the biggest since I started watching wrestling and had a great atmosphere.

The feud sometimes felt like a chore, mainly because VIA SATELLITE but I was always hype for the inevitable match-up and ultimately, the whole thing was Ok but as usual, the IWC exaggerates how "bad" it was.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well, it's the reason I started watching wrestling again (Summer of Punk kept me there), so yea, I'd say it was pretty fucking awesome. And I really enjoyed his first match and feud with Cena, despite the IWC hate- it actually felt like a BIG, BIG fight

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I started watching again after a six year break when Bret and Shawn made up. My interest started to strain again fairly quickly during the Fall of 2010. I kept reading the dirt sheets during this time and Royal Rumble 2011 brought me back with the Diesel and Booker returns. When I heard the rumors about The Great One returning to be the host I didn't want to get my hopes up.

It was Valentines Day and my girl at the time and I made sure we had already got back to my apt in time for the start of Raw. She had been a huge Rock fan growing up more than I even was. The whole time we were still hoping for The Rock and then they showed those fucking legs and we were let down thinking it could have just been Stephanie McMahon. Anyway, after that 5 minute pause before his music hit we lost our shit marking out. We watched everything through WrestleMania XXVII together hyped for The Rock. Anyone else remember that Rock-Austin interaction backstage… Holy shit, almost felt like the old days.

I went to Survivor Series 2011 at MSG with her also and that place was 100% Pro Rock. The atmosphere was incredible. Walking in through that tight squeeze to the turnstiles the entire crowd was chanting Cena Sucks. There are even "Fuck Cena' chants present on the DVD. No one cared about Awesome Truth unless they were beating up Cena in which they were cheered. That's easily the best show I have attended since WrestleMania XX.

The Rock History Lessons in Bawston are some of the best work he did promowise during the lead up. It was the closest I felt he was to The Rock of 2000. There were other good segments he did throughout the return but those always stood out the most to me, even if they were "via satellite."

When The Rock pinned Cena clean at XXVIII, I couldn't BELIEVE it. I watched this live thinking there was no way…and The Rock means no way that he wasn't playing Hogans X8 role that night. I was thrilled and it was a really fun moment for me since I started watching WWE again.

·
Banned
5,106 Posts
I love how the guy who called the Rock the greatest wrestler of all time is classified as a "moron" xD

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
I think the IWC has been divided on the Rock turn, lots didn't mind it, a lot of course did. We got lots of "he's a part timer" or "he can't work"; of course he's a part timer, he's taking time off from his movie career where he likely makes way more just to help the WWE out on a wrestlemania card that would otherwise sell a lot less if he's not on it. As for the work rate part, yah he's not the best, but he's still in amazing shape and the WWE has a ton of great workers that aren't over.... I'd rather take a charisma guy like the Rock at this point.

My only real complaints are that I honestly don't think Cena is worthy of being put over by the Rock, simply because the Rock earned the right to be the top guy, with Cena, he gets boo'ed day in and day out. The other complaint was that you could tell the Rock was taking it easy on Cena. Promo's like this are basically stuff you'd never see Cena capable of doing:

Instead, the Rock's promo's were fairly average during the actual feud. I get why the Rock took it easy - he's a professional and wants to help the WWE out, but in reality the guy could bury Cena if he wanted to.

·
Registered
553 Posts
It surprised me.. I was just so happy to see him.. For a while after 2008, I stopped watching wrestling but when I saw rocky coming back... that is when I start watching wwe back again. I was fed up with cena and the whole pg thing that wwe was doing.. and are still doing.

So it was breath of fresh air.. something that was missing out.. it brought a lot of great memories back for me.
a few weeks later, I happen to run in to some of the wwe guys at work.. they were coming to the bay area California for a show. I met Lawler, Edge, shamus and Ted Debiouse. I actually got to talk with Shamus a little bit and I told him how happy I was to see Rocky back. I can't forget how jerk Edge was when I tried to meet him and he just blow me off.. but I really appreciated how nice Shamus was.

No disrespect to Edge, He is still one of my favorite wrestlers.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
lol'd at that thread. Rock was pretty over on this forum that night.

Man the Rock/Cena stuff started out good as well. Even though it dragged,they still had their moments. Not just when CM Punk came along.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts