Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla
5,108 Posts
Well i was never a regular viewer of WCW, just tuned in a few times here and there so i dont know all the political issues regarding chris jericho and the wcw backstage team. But I would suggest he never made it big, maybe becuase of his build. We all know that wrestling promotions love to push the big muscular guys in favour of the ones who can actually wrestle, and I think Jericho was a victim of this favourism. He difinitely had the charisma, the mic work and most importantly, the wrestling.

·
Banned
749 Posts
Because he was short and Canadian and not Hogan/Nash/Hall

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The old established wrestlers did not kill WCW the horrible angles after the NWO finally went stale, now that is what killed WCW. WCW went stale right when the Austin/McMahon fued was at its peak. WCW got worse and worse as they tried to keep up and Vince Russo gave them the death blow.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
read his book. he did all that great stuff cus wcw didnt really pay alot of attention to him so he just did the most ridiculous stuff he could get away with.
the thing i find interesting is when he went to wwe vince actually hated that kind of 'cartoony' stuff he was doing. so he ended up having a real struggle when he first came to wwe.
i find it interesting cus that wcw stuff is probably my fave stuff in wrestling and it pretty much got shut down as soon as he went to wwe.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I never said he wasn't a draw, he just wasn't that big of a draw. The OP suggested that the WWE and WCW missed out on making a ton of cash because they didn't push Jericho to the top which is complete and utter bullshit. Jericho was never mean't to be the "guy", he is a great complementary piece to a show.
Not at any point in my opening post did i mention anything about WCW or WWE missing out on lots of money by not pushing Chris Jericho as the top guy, i simply asked how Chris Jericho did not become a huge star in WCW once he had turned heel and become very over. If you have watched his DVD you can see for yourself that after a great feud with Dean Malenko he seemed believeable in working with Goldberg who was the top star at that time, if you look at the age of the top heel's in WCW in 1998 then in the long term Chris Jericho could have been pushed to eventually become a top heel and WCW fucked up big time.

I have never seen Chris Jericho as someone who the whole company could be built around as in WWE for me he was always behind Triple H and Kurt Angle as a top heel but in WCW all of the top heel's were much older and were coming to the end of their careers so by giving Chris Jericho people like Sting or Diamond Dallas Page to work with after Goldberg would have been a perfect starting point for a main event push. There could be no denying his talent in the ring or his ability to get heat as a heel even in WCW as seen with his heel run so in my mind WCW not only messed up by not pushing but messed up HUGE in simply letting him go to WWE.

·
Registered
21,612 Posts
He didn't become a huge star because he was behind some of THE biggest stars in the history of pro-wrestling. Who in their right mind would put him over Flair, Hogan, Golberg (nwo) Nash, (nwo) Hall, Sting etc.

·
Banned
749 Posts
Anyone. Because Jericho clearly had the tools, and everyone you mentioned was breaking down, or the fans were getting tired of them.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
He didn't become a huge star because he was behind some of THE biggest stars in the history of pro-wrestling. Who in their right mind would put him over Flair, Hogan, Golberg (nwo) Nash, (nwo) Hall, Sting etc.
This is why WCW died.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
By June in 1999 when Chris Jericho left WCW people like Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair were way past their prime and no longer HUGE draws and The New World Order had become horribly stale with Sting not as hot as he was in between 1996 and 1998 so if ever there was a time to push new stars it was in 1998 so that 1999 would see WCW have another generation. In wrestling once your biggest names get to a stage where they are coming to the end of their careers new wrestler's begin to get pushed to carry the company in the long term, we saw this in WWE from 1993 through to 1995 and are seeing it again at the moment.

Anyone who watched WCW on a regular basis in 1998 would know and would have seen that was THE year that they needed to start pushing their younger wrestler's so that by the time 1999 rolled around they would have wrestler's believable in carrying the company in the long term once the older wrestler's had retired or taken up backstage roles. In 1998 the one man who was really over was Chris Jericho as seen in his feuds with Dean Malenko and Goldberg so that should have been the starting point for him, 1999 saw just a load of feuds rehashed that no one wanted to see because they had become bored with them.

I wouldn't have expected to have seen Chris Jericho just suddenly pushed over people like Hulk Hogan, Sting, Goldberg, Ric Flair, Kevin Nash and Scott Hall because it wouldn't have been believeable but what the feud with Goldberg should have done is what the feud with John Cena did for The Miz a couple of years ago and that simply being a test feud to see if Chris Jericho could hang with the top guys. Chris Benoit is another who should have been pushed in 1998 so that he was ready to work at the top of the card in 1999 rather than pushing him at the back end of 1999 and throwing the World title on him to try and get him to stay.

Both Chris Jericho and Chris Benoit could have been great long term main eventers from 1999 onwards alongside Goldberg, Scott Steiner, Booker T and Diamond Dallas Page with the older wrestlers like Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Sting, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash and Bret Hart being used over the course of 1999 to put them over so that they were seen as being good enough to be there rather than being there because the older wrestler's had retired. The one great thing about Vince McMahon is when someone becomes really over he will push them as he did with Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Triple H, John Cena, Batista and Jeff Hardy so i just don't see why name value should always matter because how can you get name value if not pushed and given a chance.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Not at any point in my opening post did i mention anything about WCW or WWE missing out on lots of money by not pushing Chris Jericho as the top guy, i simply asked how Chris Jericho did not become a huge star in WCW once he had turned heel and become very over. If you have watched his DVD you can see for yourself that after a great feud with Dean Malenko he seemed believeable in working with Goldberg who was the top star at that time, if you look at the age of the top heel's in WCW in 1998 then in the long term Chris Jericho could have been pushed to eventually become a top heel and WCW fucked up big time.

I have never seen Chris Jericho as someone who the whole company could be built around as in WWE for me he was always behind Triple H and Kurt Angle as a top heel but in WCW all of the top heel's were much older and were coming to the end of their careers so by giving Chris Jericho people like Sting or Diamond Dallas Page to work with after Goldberg would have been a perfect starting point for a main event push. There could be no denying his talent in the ring or his ability to get heat as a heel even in WCW as seen with his heel run so in my mind WCW not only messed up by not pushing but messed up HUGE in simply letting him go to WWE.
I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about AmWolves10.

·
Wrestling is better while drinking
1,904 Posts
Jericho actually drew huge reactions in WCW. Only NWO got more heat than him and he was doing it on his own. It is sad that WCW didn't see it and run with it. He didn't need to main event, but to keep him in the upper mid card as an annoyance and doing his bit would have been great. The NWO was pretty dark and nasty. Jericho was often hilarious and annoying. His "feud" with Goldberg. Ralphus. Man of 1004 holds. The fans loved to interact with him, but it was in an entirely different manner than it was with NWO. He added some diversity to the product. For all WCW management railed against vanilla wrestlers, they kept narrowing down their product to very few templates. I believe that is what eventually killed them as much as anything. NWO was too homogeneous. WWE had an awesome array of characters compared to WCW and people started to like that a lot more. Sometimes in business there are things that don't make money per se, but they add value to the product in other ways and keep people coming.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
wcw had proven veteran stars at the top. thats why jericho an un-proven guy at the time didn't succeed.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts

they didnt really let him go he kind of scored a massive deal with wwe in secret. check out his book man!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Goldberg refused to work a program with Jericho, that's what happened.

Jericho had created so much heat against Goldberg that it was RIDICULOUS they didn't have a real PPV programs.

·
Resident Old Man
3,677 Posts
Goldberg refused to work a program with Jericho, that's what happened.

Jericho had created so much heat against Goldberg that it was RIDICULOUS they didn't have a real PPV programs.
Yea, he mentioned in his book (that you all should read) that Goldberg was green, and actually took all that Jericho said personally. It created heat between them, and Goldberg refused to work with him. I believe Jericho said he was thinking a 1 minute squash match to end the feud, but Goldberg didn't want to do it.

My guess is that Hogan and all the other big guys didn't want to be shown up by Jericho on the mic, so they held him down and didn't let him get a shot at an upper tier guy.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts