Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This storyline makes no sense to me since no rules or to what limit their power starts or finish. It makes it impossible to make an educated guess what they could do to fight back the next week.

Take Ryback, Ziggler and Rowan for example. They got fired but return a shortly after because of Sting. What exactly prevented Steph and Triple H to just fire them again. Are we to believe that they are just that incompetente or was it explained any other way I forgot?

And speaking of incompetence we have John Cena they never wanted as champion. Why not just tell him he´s never gets a title shot and simple book him in undercard matches. Instead he was either champion or in number one contender matches more or less the entire second half of last year.

The list can be much longer but you get the idea.

·
Banned
4,498 Posts
Re: How much power does Triple H ans Steph have in kayfabe?

Isn't it against the law to fire someone without a legitimate reason. Wrongful termination. Meaning you can't fire someone for personal reasons only professional reasons.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts

I think WWE work under the guise that although Stephanie and Triple H have day-to-day power of the company, they still answer to Vince and the "Board of Directors". That means that if they do anything too outlandish (although you can absolutely argue they already do that) then they have to answer to a higher power and could subsequently be stripped of their position.

Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely riddled with holes, as you've stated, but this is the only even slightly logical conclusion I can conjure as to explain this idiocy. There is no explicit line drawn as to what constitutes going too far with their power, so that's a major flaw in itself. They could probably do all you eluded too and come out unscathed by higher WWE management, or maybe they couldn't. It's just an awful loose narrative to use.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts

The firing/hiring back thing is simply explained by double jeopardy. Once the 3 guys were fired and then WWE choose to rehire them, you can't then fire them again for the same offence because you already dealt with it. It would be the equivalent of sending someone to prison for theft, then once they get out sending them back to prison for the exact same theft.

I realise that's way more logical than the WWE thought process, but it does make some sort of sense.

As for them letting Cena have title matches and such, the authority may hate his guts but promoting the guy that outsells most of the rest of the roster combined makes commercial sense: It's what's Best For Business.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The firing/hiring back thing is simply explained by double jeopardy. Once the 3 guys were fired and then WWE choose to rehire them, you can't then fire them again for the same offence because you already dealt with it. It would be the equivalent of sending someone to prison for theft, then once they get out sending them back to prison for the exact same theft.

I realise that's way more logical than the WWE thought process, but it does make some sort of sense.

As for them letting Cena have title matches and such, the authority may hate his guts but promoting the guy that outsells most of the rest of the roster combined makes commercial sense: It's what's Best For Business.
But WWE didn´t choose to rehire them. Triple H and Steph for some reason gave Cena a chance to bring them back. When he failed to do so they gave him another chance until he eventually succeeded. Nobody forced them to give Cena the opportunity to bring them back.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Are you really trying to find sense in WWE storyline?

As a whole obviously not. WWE is the worst scripted tv show I´ve ever seen.
But don´t watch everything and wondering if anything had been said "in show" to give an broad guidance what they can and can´t do.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts

Isn't it against the law to fire someone without a legitimate reason. Wrongful termination. Meaning you can't fire someone for personal reasons only professional reasons.
Right-to-work conditions mean they can essentially terminate you for anything, as long as it isn't already protected by discriminatory law (race, gender, etc.).

If they don't like you, they can find reasons. In this case, they would probably use insubordination.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again, The Authority (SummerSlam 2013 - now) is the worst storyline in pro wrestling history. This is why I want Reigns to win at WrestleMania so someone else can become the focus of the product, rather than a stable including Triple H, Stephanie McMahon, Kane & Big Show in the year 2015. Maybe over a decade ago that could have worked, but not today.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again, The Authority (SummerSlam 2013 - now) is the worst storyline in pro wrestling history. This is why I want Reigns to win at WrestleMania so someone else can become the focus of the product, rather than a stable including Triple H, Stephanie McMahon, Kane & Big Show in the year 2015. Maybe over a decade ago that could have worked, but not today.
I do agree seeing Big Show and Kane in this seems washed up. This storyline jumped the shark last year when they stripped the title from Bryan. HHH and Steph also seem washed up in comparison to the Mcmahon/Helmsley Era too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts