Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of us agree that popularity of Wrestling comes in cycles. Do you think this is the biggest reason for the dwindling ratings and buyrates?

If so, do you think appealing to kids is the right way to adapt - by building a child audience that will mature in about 10 years and start the next period of adult-oriented entertainment?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
So many ideas were used during the monday night wars be it from wwe wcw and ecw putting all eggs into one basket awesome shows week after week its like no one can revolutionise the business anymore. Will we ever get something awesome like the outsiders invading wcw people thought they were sent from wwe to take over. Rarely do you get stunned in disbelief by watching pro wrestling now.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'd imagine MMA is the big problem that may hault the up swing.
Maybe it's time for pro wrestling to join the olympics and actually get the matches marked on techical and Dramatic.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Theres no such thing as 'cycles'. Wrestling is just on a downfall and won't ever get any bigger.
Golden Era - Popular >> New Generation Era - Not Popular >> Attitude & Ruthless Agression Eras - Popular >> Now* - Not Popular >> Next Era - Awesome (please don't call it the Miz era...)

*PG and Watered Down Era don't really list as Eras cause WWE was PG during the 80's and most of the nineties,and Watered Down is not quite a reasonable name for an Era :no:

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I agree with wrestling not being as popular, the two HUGE booms it had were the Hogan era and the Attitude era,
Hogan era was 100% white meat babyface, cartoonish smiling characters, Attitude era was complete opposite which I believe is why it worked, had both ends of the extreme, and every other time was stuck in the middle, and after the intiial wow factor of the Hogan/Attitude era I don't think it will reach those heights again because they've already HAD both extremes. (I know I know i'm rambling :/)
But it will ALWAYS have a fan base.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I agree with wrestling not being as popular, the two HUGE booms it had were the Hogan era and the Attitude era,
Hogan era was 100% white meat babyface, cartoonish smiling characters, Attitude era was complete opposite which I believe is why it worked, had both ends of the extreme, and every other time was stuck in the middle, and after the intiial wow factor of the Hogan/Attitude era I don't think it will reach those heights again because they've already HAD both extremes. (I know I know i'm rambling :/)
But it will ALWAYS have a fan base.
I was going to say roughly the same thing. I can't actually foresee pro wrestling or the WWE reaching quite those heights again any time soon. Not unless something or someone comes a long with a fresh new concept or idea that nobody has ever seen before that catches on like a house on fire.

It's not like I pine for something like the attitude era to come along again. The only thing I do miss are the crowds and the atmosphere/aura it once had. It just isn't the same.:(

Even a simple match like Undertaker/Test felt important. This is just from 2001.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb06WVuAdDU

IMO wrestling seemed to die a little when it became WWE in 2002. Once the NWO/Hogan/Rock story was finished ratings and casual following definitely took a slide. For whatever reason the name change did end up changing the whole landscape of the company.

·
Premium Member
43,668 Posts
I don't believe in the cycles approach, mainly because it takes the blame away from the bookers & writers that put on the crappy shows they do. Its almost like an empty promise of "Oh things suck now, but they'll get better!"

But in reality, if wrestling doesn't change with the times, then it doesn't regain its popularity. If anything, wrestling has spent the last 10 years regressing backwards rather than advancing to keep up with society.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
it has more to do with the internet and other entertainment options people have these days + the product is completely inconsistent.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I think a lot of it is due to WWE's monopoly finally being complete, and it has really hurt the quality of the talent. Up until the last few years, WWE was basicaly the all-stars of wrestling. you had your wwe guys that they brought along, but you also had WCW, ECW, and before that AWA, USWA, World Class and whoever else, and WWE would always snap up their best guys who were already pretty seasoned because they all had TV, and some were Pretty big stars in their own right. And then if a WWE guy left and went to another promotion, the buzz would work the other way, and create excitement for wrestling as a whole.

Today, that is done. Even If WWE gets a guy from TNA, they change their name, gimmick, and don't acknowledge them, so they get no added bonus to the guy switching companies. They also retrain them a lot of times. ROH has TV but don't book for it, they are a straight up indy who broadcasts. Their guys usually aren't ready unless they are naturals. So basically all of WWE's new guys today are green, and all trained by the same people and pretty generic, whereas in the past their big debuts were usually experienced guys people knew. and there is none of the excitement of stars switching companies either, which was always a big part of the fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts